Volkswagen Sharan..

VellfireS

I'm curious to compare the interior space/comfort and handling. Power should be about the same - yes.

There are tuning chips available up to 240 bhp and 367 Nm. But I am happy for now. More like to change to Eibach springs to firm up cornering since the handling is already good. Chassis is based on Mondeo.

Because from what I know, the power upgrades from the 203bhp version to the 240bhp version is just some minor engine tunings right??? Not much changes to the mechanicals of the engine......

I guess the only difference between the Galaxy and Sharan would be the rear sliding doors. Other than that, I suppose the drive, interior space, comfort and handling should be similar.

Afterall, both cars uses double-cluth gearboxes, just that VW has added 1 more gear.

↡ Advertisement

There's no denying the Sharan looks like a larger Touran, which is already too boxy looking for my taste.

I'd rather plonk down another $50k to get the Transporter. [Around $230k I guess].

Not only is that using VW's 2.0TDI 180bhp Turbocharged, 7DSG, it's much larger, it looks more purposeful, and the name,

Transporter, sounds so much better than Sharan right???

With the Sharan, there's no denying that you're driving around in a small van.

7dsg vs 6dsg

i think the 6dsg is less problematic..haha

7dsg vs 6dsg

i think the 6dsg is less problematic..haha

It's not about the number of gears, it's whether is it a wet-clutch [better as there'll be less friction], or dry-clutch [VW's claim it gives better fuel consumption].

But dry-clutch technology doesn't seem to work.

And to think that they're the innovators of the first supercharged-cum-turbocharged engine in the 1.4TSI engines, VW will be scrapping it next yr onwards. It's too costly and sort of problematic to be maintained.

They'll come out with a twin-scroll turbo instead if I'm not wrong.

Edited by Proton_neutron

It's not about the number of gears, it's whether is it a wet-clutch [better as there'll be less friction], or dry-clutch [VW's claim it gives better fuel consumption].

But dry-clutch technology doesn't seem to work.

And to think that they're the innovators of the first supercharged-cum-turbocharged engine in the 1.4TSI engines, VW will be scrapping it next yr onwards. It's too costly and sort of problematic to be maintained.

They'll come out with a twin-scroll turbo instead if I'm not wrong.

i know that its a difference between the wet and dry clutch system..and of cos..fc is always the aim here that manufacturers will want to improve or show improvement to the audience.

but i tink it was 'proven' or rather perceived that the wet clutch delivers quicker acceleration than the dry clutch

Edited by Cluboxed

i know that its a difference between the wet and dry clutch system..and of cos..fc is always the aim here that manufacturers will want to improve or show improvement to the audience.

but i tink it was 'proven' or rather perceived that the wet clutch delivers quicker acceleration than the dry clutch

Yeah. Wet Clutch has less friction to overcome [very layman term], compared to dry clutch, hence the quicker transmission of power, and less loss.

It's quite strange that Audi is also using the 7S-Tronic gearbox; essentially the same dry-clutch system used by VW 7DSG.....

Yeah. Wet Clutch has less friction to overcome [very layman term], compared to dry clutch, hence the quicker transmission of power, and less loss.

It's quite strange that Audi is also using the 7S-Tronic gearbox; essentially the same dry-clutch system used by VW 7DSG.....

yah i was wondering too...have checked with my fren who is driving an Audi..doesnt seem to have that problem existing in Audi models range though...strange..

yah i was wondering too...have checked with my fren who is driving an Audi..doesnt seem to have that problem existing in Audi models range though...strange..

Perhaps it's the Quality Control???

There has to be a give and take for VW compared to Audi isn't it???

I disagree with your "Ford has no status". It's for people who enjoy great handling cars with good European build and decent fuel economy. It's only the fault of the local dealer that has contributed to such a low number of cars. Look at LTA numbers for 2011 - the sales of Ford is better than Mitsubishi and Land Rover, and just short of Subaru and Suzuki. It has not suffered any shortfall of demand compared to other cars. The COE climate has only made BMW, Merc and Audi popular. As for VW, it's the local direct dealership that has contributed to lower cost and hence more competitive prices.

It is a niche brand like Alfa Romeo; or Opel, a popular brand in Germany.

You hardly see them on the road. Have they lost their status?

Clearly, it is about the popularity and marketing strategies. In the mid-range market, Singaporeans tend to follow the majority despite the fact that there are better alternatives.

Bro, you're wrong. Status has nothing to do with how good the car is. It is the perceived value by the mass. Driving merc is status that the majority will agree, even you don't like it, the majority defined it. The best handling car but nobody pay attention, turn their to view when it drive pass and compliment on it then it has no status.

BTW, we are referring Singapore only, which is uniquely Singapore. You can't use what happenned in the rest of the world and apply here. Simply put it, in Singapore now, the status cars for the mass are German cars and some other luxury brands.

You probably driving a Ford and felt hurt. Too bad, Ford has no status. Park it in between of a Camry and Accord, see whether people walking pass will notice !

Bro, you're wrong. Status has nothing to do with how good the car is. It is the perceived value by the mass. Driving merc is status that the majority will agree, even you don't like it, the majority defined it. The best handling car but nobody pay attention, turn their to view when it drive pass and compliment on it then it has no status.

BTW, we are referring Singapore only, which is uniquely Singapore. You can't use what happenned in the rest of the world and apply here. Simply put it, in Singapore now, the status cars for the mass are German cars and some other luxury brands.

You probably driving a Ford and felt hurt. Too bad, Ford has no status. Park it in between of a Camry and Accord, see whether people walking pass will notice !

Status in Asian society really refers to the pricetag of the car. The more expensive it is, the better.

That's why people are willing to be ketok by MB and BMW where they charge a considerable profit margin on these cars. These profits will be the first in depreciation.

If Hyundai costs $500k, then Hyundai will be the new status symbol.

But for now, the Germans have it covered.

Point taken. I'm not brand-conscious and I picked the car for the space, power and handling. It was a unique proposition in those respects until the Sharan came to our shores. The only competitor in that region and price range is probably the Estima 3.5L (if you upgrade the suspension) but it is a PI model.

What I'm saying is that there are a lot of brands in Singapore which locals shun because there isn't a great following. I see it as the "kia-see" attitude - don't buy a car that is not popular in Singapore. Buy a Toyota, Honda, etc because it has reputation (for sales).

Otherwise, Singaporeans will aim for a middle-class luxury badge (BMW, Audi, Merc) as part of snob-appeal. On the other hand, for the same price I'd prefer to buy a high-end car in a lesser known brand such as an Opel Insignia compared to a entry-level car in a luxury brand, such as BMW 318 (or an RX 270). Maybe I would consider the C180 for similar price, but not 318i. Anyway, to some the money paid for the snob appeal to show that you are middle-class or above is worth it. To the rest of us, the badge doesn't matter that much.

Btw, what is your current ride, and what is your current top-of-the-list model you are looking at?

Edited by Grix17

Point taken. I'm not brand-conscious and I picked the car for the space, power and handling. It was a unique proposition in those respects until the Sharan came to our shores. The only competitor in that region and price range is probably the Estima 3.5L (if you upgrade the suspension) but it is a PI model.

What I'm saying is that there are a lot of brands in Singapore which locals shun because there isn't a great following. I see it as the "kia-see" attitude - don't buy a car that is not popular in Singapore. Buy a Toyota, Honda, etc because it has reputation (for sales).

Otherwise, Singaporeans will aim for a middle-class luxury badge (BMW, Audi, Merc) as part of snob-appeal. On the other hand, for the same price I'd prefer to buy a high-end car in a lesser known brand such as an Opel Insignia compared to a entry-level car in a luxury brand, such as BMW 318 (or an RX 270). Maybe I would consider the C180 for similar price, but not 318i. Anyway, to some the money paid for the snob appeal to show that you are middle-class or above is worth it. To the rest of us, the badge doesn't matter that much.

Btw, what is your current ride, and what is your current top-of-the-list model you are looking at?

Aiyah, if the 7-Series and S-Class drivers are willing to plonk down almost $400k for their new 740Li and S350L, why don't they get a used Bentley instead? Even more snob appeal!

I'd rather top up a bit more to get the Maserati Quattroporte. Or if I were in the Junior Executive segment- 3-Series and C-Class, I'd rather drive around in the Hyundai Grandeur 5G! Seriously, I'll ask KMC to special indent for me, if Hyundai Korea made the RHD version.

Aiyah, if the 7-Series and S-Class drivers are willing to plonk down almost $400k for their new 740Li and S350L, why don't they get a used Bentley instead? Even more snob appeal!

I think the Bentley has too much snob appeal! Later kena rob or carjack.

Anyway, if you have $400k, you would buy a new car.

If I have $400k to spare, I'll go invest in property!

I think the Bentley has too much snob appeal! Later kena rob or carjack.

Anyway, if you have $400k, you would buy a new car.

If I have $400k to spare, I'll go invest in property!

And S-Class won't kenna scratched as well??? How's that different???

So what would be a good upgrade from an S-class or 7-Series???

Hmmm snubbed brands like skoda? ;) unfortunately no 7 seater thou acknowledged in the UK as a value for money, reliable make

http://www.easier.com/87503-skoda-top-bran...aight-year.html

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/articles/2010/...-tsi-car-review

I have no qualms about buying a Skoda Superb over similar cars in the price range.

It's a pity that the dealers are not trying hard enough, especially if around the world the brands are not popular too (like Skoda).

Magazine writers/reviewers and driving enthusiasts are mostly brand-neutral (maybe not country-neutral) - but buyers surely aren't.

They won't be swayed by an excellent review of a lesser-known car.

I have no qualms about buying a Skoda Superb over similar cars in the price range.

It's a pity that the dealers are not trying hard enough, especially if around the world the brands are not popular too (like Skoda).

Magazine writers/reviewers and driving enthusiasts are mostly brand-neutral (maybe not country-neutral) - but buyers surely aren't.

They won't be swayed by an excellent review of a lesser-known car.

Skoda ain't too bad, but their pricing puts it very close to a slightly less equipped VW, but a VW nonetheless.

So which will you get? A Skoda/ VW???

In any case, the VW Passat, which is the SWB sibling of the Superb ain't really a cash cow for VW. So why should the Superb be???

↡ Advertisement