Volkswagen Sharan..

VellfireS

Oh yes need to add onnthose options too to compare and also the omg if they are priced the same.

What kind of discount can get from VW and SEAT these days?

↡ Advertisement

On 1/1/2021 at 9:25 AM, Carbon82 said:

My first set of P7. I have been using mostly Goodyear in the past (3 set at least) as I find them (Efficientgrip & Asymmetric) offering good balance between dry/wet performance, noise, wear and cost. 

But this P7 (brand new, 2020 stock) impressed me even more. Let see how's it long term performance (grip, noise and wear). Read that it wear quite fast. GY generally can last me 65 - 75K km (with ~30% thread left).

This was my previous GY Efficientgrip after 70K Km. The rear has even more thread left (easily 50%).

h3Elt5h.jpg

The rims are from a new G30. Picture paints a thousand words... inner side of the rim.

RSo79wW.jpg

VvGbB9r.jpg

Din know Bmw use pcd 112

Edited by Sdf4786k

i would stick to vcs if the sharan is a bit more expensive 

the seat dealer doesn’t give me any confidence at all

😬😅

13 hours ago, Unknown79 said:

Hi,

Looking for a 7-seater and comparing between Sharan and Alhambra both 2l now. Seems both cars come from the VW group and basically same EA888 engine, same 6 speed DSG wet clutch and same platform. 

Since both are priced quite similarly (Sharan is more ex), Sharan comes with sunroof while Alhambra needs to top-up and slightly different external styling, what are the differences between the two? I ask both SA before and they can't even tell me.

Any expert able to share your knowledge? If SEAT unreliable than VW make? Which servicing is cheaper? Sharan 1st oil change is 15k but Alhambra is 5k? Same engine for different servicing mileage?

Lastly, I know it is possible to reflash ecu for Sharan on stock engine and possible to do so for Alhambra?

you didn't consider the Kodiaq 2L?

13 hours ago, Unknown79 said:

Hi,

Looking for a 7-seater and comparing between Sharan and Alhambra both 2l now. Seems both cars come from the VW group and basically same EA888 engine, same 6 speed DSG wet clutch and same platform. 

Since both are priced quite similarly (Sharan is more ex), Sharan comes with sunroof while Alhambra needs to top-up and slightly different external styling, what are the differences between the two? I ask both SA before and they can't even tell me.

Any expert able to share your knowledge? If SEAT unreliable than VW make? Which servicing is cheaper? Sharan 1st oil change is 15k but Alhambra is 5k? Same engine for different servicing mileage?

Lastly, I know it is possible to reflash ecu for Sharan on stock engine and possible to do so for Alhambra?

wah...buy new car thinking of reflashing ecu already? going to give up the 5-year warranty?

comparing a stg 1 7n1 and a stock 7n2 sharan, the latter has a better torque curve for daily driving even though the reflashed 7n1 supposedly has higher power and torque at higher rpm ranges

your family members would already not appreciate the stock power, not to mention the extra power upon reflashing

😅

• Praise 1

34 minutes ago, berry64694 said:

i looked at it before....

comparing to sharan...no sliding doors, 3rd row seat more for kids, lower headroom, boot space seems smaller be it with 3rd row up or stowed, higher cg, lower power

😬😅

• Praise 1

Make no mistake a mpv will out do any suv in terms of people carrier. 

One reason why I chose to let go my Sharan was the driving position that I could not get accustomed to. Too bus like. 

SUV was better in this aspect. 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

49 minutes ago, Enye said:

comparing to sharan...no sliding doors, 3rd row seat more for kids, lower headroom, boot space seems smaller be it with 3rd row up or stowed, higher cg, lower power

😬😅

ahhh I made a mistake and thought you were talking about the Seat Tarraco. That's why I mentioned the Kodiaq. Ya otherwise it will be a fight between the Sharan and Alhambra. But question is do you need the full 7 seats and the sliding doors? if you do, then I think the Sharan is probably more reliable. 

3 hours ago, berry64694 said:

Is the 3rd row suitable for adults? The only SUV 7 seater that the 3rd row is really usable is Sorento. Went to see GLB200 and the 3rd row  is really for show  and even the middle and driver seat isn't that spacious  compared to my Forester. Not mentioning the 1.3l Renault engine really struggles when u rev over 3k rpm. Got sound but no go feeling.

• Praise 2

2 hours ago, Enye said:

wah...buy new car thinking of reflashing ecu already? going to give up the 5-year warranty?

comparing a stg 1 7n1 and a stock 7n2 sharan, the latter has a better torque curve for daily driving even though the reflashed 7n1 supposedly has higher power and torque at higher rpm ranges

your family members would already not appreciate the stock power, not to mention the extra power upon reflashing

😅

Sharan power is a bit low compared to my current Forester (stock ecu flash) hence the only mod for my next mod is to ecu reflash to extract the additional pony. Not going for any more mod to keep it simple.

Not familiar with what is 7n1 and 7n2?

On 2/6/2021 at 2:11 AM, Unknown79 said:

Oh yes need to add onnthose options too to compare and also the omg if they are priced the same.

What kind of discount can get from VW and SEAT these days?

As said, consider what you need as a baseline. If Alhambra suit your need, than the question would be are you willing to pay more for something you might not need? 

As for pricing, the last time I check, Vertex Euro is quite rigid, whereas VSC is quite flexible. Take my facelift Sharan for example, list price was ~$172K and I manage to bring it down to low $16xK, and COE premium back then was ~$53K - $56K+. But my warranty was 100K Km or 3 years, whichever come first. Now should be 150K Km / 5 years, iirc. 

I always share with people who asked me, if you are sincere, offer them a reasonable package (new car price + trade-in price + X no. of free servicing, etc.). I am a firm believer that no company will reject a deal if they are still making reason profit.

23 hours ago, Sdf4786k said:

Din know Bmw use pcd 112

It started with 1 and 2 series, than extended to G11 7 series, G30 5 series and G20 3 series, and X series as well.

17 hours ago, Enye said:

😬😅

The biggest concern for me is not with the space, but its performance. With 'just' 177HP and 320Nm powering this >1.9 ton 4x4 SUV (2.0TSI variant), it doesn't feel as fast as claimed by Skoda. I can't say it is slow but not as lively as our facelift Sharan for sure. 

And the sliding doors will be something I will miss if I were to switch back to SUV or sedan. Very useful in our tight MSCP. 

14 hours ago, Unknown79 said:

Sharan power is a bit low compared to my current Forester (stock ecu flash) hence the only mod for my next mod is to ecu reflash to extract the additional pony. Not going for any more mod to keep it simple.

Not familiar with what is 7n1 and 7n2?

Actually the spec of your Forester XT is almost similar to the facelift Sharan (7N2, and 7N1 is for pre-facelift model), so I am not sure if there is anything you find lacking when you test drive the Sharan.

I test drove the XT back in 2018 and didn't find it significantly more powerful than my Sharan, probably also due to the difference between CVT and DSG gearbox. Personally, I find technical spec and actual driving feel can be quite different, so tech is just for reference to me. 

XT (238HP, 350Nm, 7.5sec, 221Kmh)

Sharan (217HP, 350Nm, 7.8sec, 226Kmh)

• Praise 6

13 hours ago, Carbon82 said:

As said, consider what you need as a baseline. If Alhambra suit your need, than the question would be are you willing to pay more for something you might not need? 

As for pricing, the last time I check, Vertex Euro is quite rigid, whereas VSC is quite flexible. Take my facelift Sharan for example, list price was ~$172K and I manage to bring it down to low $16xK, and COE premium back then was ~$53K - $56K+. But my warranty was 100K Km or 3 years, whichever come first. Now should be 150K Km / 5 years, iirc. 

I always share with people who asked me, if you are sincere, offer them a reasonable package (new car price + trade-in price + X no. of free servicing, etc.). I am a firm believer that no company will reject a deal if they are still making reason profit.

It started with 1 and 2 series, than extended to G11 7 series, G30 5 series and G20 3 series, and X series as well.

The biggest concern for me is not with the space, but its performance. With 'just' 177HP and 320Nm powering this >1.9 ton 4x4 SUV (2.0TSI variant), it doesn't feel as fast as claimed by Skoda. I can't say it is slow but not as lively as our facelift Sharan for sure. 

And the sliding doors will be something I will miss if I were to switch back to SUV or sedan. Very useful in our tight MSCP. 

Actually the spec of your Forester XT is almost similar to the facelift Sharan (7N2, and 7N1 is for pre-facelift model), so I am not sure if there is anything you find lacking when you test drive the Sharan.

I test drove the XT back in 2018 and didn't find it significantly more powerful than my Sharan, probably also due to the difference between CVT and DSG gearbox. Personally, I find technical spec and actual driving feel can be quite different, so tech is just for reference to me. 

XT (238HP, 350Nm, 7.5sec, 221Kmh)

Sharan (217HP, 350Nm, 7.8sec, 226Kmh)

Yes that is why I'm looking at Sharan/ Alhambra EA888 engine. Anyway my XT was customised tuned using ecutek 6 yrs ago on stock internal. Not very powerful close to 300hp and able to cut 1s off for 0-100 from stock. I guess Sharan after the ECU reflash shld be more decent too.

Even though it is mpv but there will be time when I'm alone in the car so having a decent power will be greatly appreciated.

Coe ard 50+ and selling at 16xk is a much better price than today 40+ Coe but asking for 179k? When was 7n2 (FL) released? How much was the omv of Sharan vs Alhambra? Abt the same? Sharan has higher resale value?

Edited by Unknown79
Add more points

1 hour ago, Unknown79 said:

Yes that is why I'm looking at Sharan/ Alhambra EA888 engine. Anyway my XT was customised tuned using ecutek 6 yrs ago on stock internal. Not very powerful close to 300hp and able to cut 1s off for 0-100 from stock. I guess Sharan after the ECU reflash shld be more decent too.

Even though it is mpv but there will be time when I'm alone in the car so having a decent power will be greatly appreciated.

Coe ard 50+ and selling at 16xk is a much better price than today 40+ Coe but asking for 179k? When was 7n2 (FL) released? How much was the omv of Sharan vs Alhambra? Abt the same? Sharan has higher resale value?

179k is the list price

you will probably be surprised how much lower it can go when you ask 

bear in mind that sharan would likely be eol soon and no further facelift or replacement planned 

🤭😅

• Praise 1

22 hours ago, Unknown79 said:

Is the 3rd row suitable for adults? The only SUV 7 seater that the 3rd row is really usable is Sorento. Went to see GLB200 and the 3rd row  is really for show  and even the middle and driver seat isn't that spacious  compared to my Forester. Not mentioning the 1.3l Renault engine really struggles when u rev over 3k rpm. Got sound but no go feeling.

I think if you compared the GLB200 to Forester XT engine will be no way close.

The XT 2.0DIT is very smooth till red line and easily in sport mode.

Sharan is a old and ageing model. But should be very reliable by now. 

Edited by Tohto
  • Praise 1

4 hours ago, Enye said:

179k is the list price

you will probably be surprised how much lower it can go when you ask 

bear in mind that sharan would likely be eol soon and no further facelift or replacement planned 

🤭😅

Ya saw the news that VAG had stopped the production of Sharan and Alhambra in Europe but now still available via special order only due to worldwide no demand for MPV. Demand for SUV is going up instead. That's why the interior is also quite dated.. LCD screen only 6.5" kind of small and the days instrument screen feels like 10 yrs ago technology.

Hi bro,

I'm a ex-FXT owner and now driving a 2020 Sharan. My feel is the FXT will feel faster moving off from stop compared to the Sharan, based on both are stock cars. U will miss the tight turning radius of FXT, and the stability of the AWD in the FXT.  As the FXT is a shorter car and comes with AWD, it is actually more fun and agile. But u will also feel more rolls round the corners with the FXT. The Sharan has stock front and rear ARB, and the chassis feels more solid than the FXT. The Sharan does feel heavier than the FXT, but its probably negligible. 

• Praise 1

Yes, u have to bear in mind when u r buying the Sharan. It is based on a very very old platform, with a very dated interior. Small screen, dated interior design. but it is updated with new techs like carplay, android auto.

But then.. the interior is good quality (Subaru no match), interior controls and air con vent locations are excellent.  Most importantly, the chassis is very solid, and the entire platform (despite not being their latest MQB) is actually very solid and stable at high speed.

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Unknown79 said:

Ya saw the news that VAG had stopped the production of Sharan and Alhambra in Europe but now still available via special order only due to worldwide no demand for MPV. Demand for SUV is going up instead. That's why the interior is also quite dated.. LCD screen only 6.5" kind of small and the days instrument screen feels like 10 yrs ago technology.

I had a look at the features that come with the new Sharan, does not look worth it at $170k now.

Missing all the modern features and all the safety feature that even a Hyundai Avante Elite come with it.

The only good thing is tge EA888 engine,  6spd DSG and the huge space inside.

Have also a look on the resale, a 2019 model on sale at $130k++ with all the same spec and equipment more worth it.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1