Volkswagen Sharan..

VellfireS

45 minutes ago, Tohto said:

I had a look at the features that come with the new Sharan, does not look worth it at $170k now.

Missing all the modern features and all the safety feature that even a Hyundai Avante Elite come with it.

The only good thing is tge EA888 engine,  6spd DSG and the huge space inside.

Have also a look on the resale, a 2019 model on sale at $130k++ with all the same spec and equipment more worth it.

2019 vs 2020 the specs and equipment same same right? Got difference? If it is a year old Sharan at 130k is value of money compared to brand new at 170k.

Yes one of my concerns is definitely it's on the old platform plus the dated equipment except for the android auto. Too many car manufacturers follow the market trend for SUV and many are giving up their MPV. I guess even Sorento 7 seater on a SUV platform won't be as spacious as a MPV especially the 3rd row.

Nissan Serena equipment are up to date but too bad the electric motor hp is low 120+ and good healthy instant torque of 320Nm but probably run out of power anything above 50kmh. But Serena is more of a 6 seater rather than 7 seater.

↡ Advertisement

1 hour ago, mrhan1982 said:

Hi bro,

I'm a ex-FXT owner and now driving a 2020 Sharan. My feel is the FXT will feel faster moving off from stop compared to the Sharan, based on both are stock cars. U will miss the tight turning radius of FXT, and the stability of the AWD in the FXT.  As the FXT is a shorter car and comes with AWD, it is actually more fun and agile. But u will also feel more rolls round the corners with the FXT. The Sharan has stock front and rear ARB, and the chassis feels more solid than the FXT. The Sharan does feel heavier than the FXT, but its probably negligible. 

FXT rear seat is harsh for stock unless u change the rear ARB to thicker one and surprisingly, it feels more comfortable and less roll. I brought it to Malacca track one before and it is fun with the AWD.

43 minutes ago, Unknown79 said:

2019 vs 2020 the specs and equipment same same right? Got difference? If it is a year old Sharan at 130k is value of money compared to brand new at 170k.

Yes one of my concerns is definitely it's on the old platform plus the dated equipment except for the android auto. Too many car manufacturers follow the market trend for SUV and many are giving up their MPV. I guess even Sorento 7 seater on a SUV platform won't be as spacious as a MPV especially the 3rd row.

Nissan Serena equipment are up to date but too bad the electric motor hp is low 120+ and good healthy instant torque of 320Nm but probably run out of power anything above 50kmh. But Serena is more of a 6 seater rather than 7 seater.

Saw this on SGcarmart.

https://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=964812&DL=3656

On 2/7/2021 at 9:49 PM, Unknown79 said:

FXT rear seat is harsh for stock unless u change the rear ARB to thicker one and surprisingly, it feels more comfortable and less roll. I brought it to Malacca track one before and it is fun with the AWD.

Yes the rear seats for fxt were indeed uncomfortable. Lots of rolls and bumps and my then infant twins and helper suffered I think... people who sat at the back always complained I drive too aggressively and they feel a bit giddy. I tried to drive slowly but it didn’t helped much. It was fun when I drove it alone wheee I could chug it round corners and zip around traffic. But honestly, it wasn’t a very ideal family car. 
that was one of the reason I sold it away. 

the sharan on the other hand behaves very differently. The 2nd and 3rd rows are very comfortable for passengers. Usually mid size mpv like Touran has much poorer 3rd row ride quality. The sharan performs well in this area for 3rd row passengers. 

• Praise 1

On 2/7/2021 at 9:46 PM, Unknown79 said:

A brand new sharan can cost a lot lesser than 170k. 
go to a jap agent, discount at best a few Ks. Go to a conti agent, u will be surprised to get a huge discount if u know how to nego your way. 

a 2019 model sharan and 2020 model sharan has different equipment list. I don’t recall the details. 
but if u happened to buy a 2020 model sharan in late 2019 then it’s should have the latest equipment list 

Edited by mrhan1982
  • Praise 1

On 2/9/2021 at 11:31 AM, mrhan1982 said:

Yes the rear seats for fxt were indeed uncomfortable. Lots of rolls and bumps and my then infant twins and helper suffered I think... people who sat at the back always complained I drive too aggressively and they feel a bit giddy. I tried to drive slowly but it didn’t helped much. It was fun when I drove it alone wheee I could chug it round corners and zip around traffic. But honestly, it wasn’t a very ideal family car. 
that was one of the reason I sold it away. 

the sharan on the other hand behaves very differently. The 2nd and 3rd rows are very comfortable for passengers. Usually mid size mpv like Touran has much poorer 3rd row ride quality. The sharan performs well in this area for 3rd row passengers. 

Yes. The main 2 reasons I'm keen on Sharan is the 3rd row space and its' EA888 engine. Too bad VW Group decided to stop releasing new version of Sharan and Alhambra and even stopping the production in 2021. The dashboard feels like a 10 yrs old car.... I think I will wait for the new Kia Grand Carnival to compare interior is much much nicer just that with 2.2L diesel turbo road tax will be higher and less powerful (top end).

On 2/10/2021 at 4:38 PM, Unknown79 said:

Yes. The main 2 reasons I'm keen on Sharan is the 3rd row space and its' EA888 engine. Too bad VW Group decided to stop releasing new version of Sharan and Alhambra and even stopping the production in 2021. The dashboard feels like a 10 yrs old car.... I think I will wait for the new Kia Grand Carnival to compare interior is much much nicer just that with 2.2L diesel turbo road tax will be higher and less powerful (top end).

Scrapped my Odyssey in 2016  and since then have been driving sedan, thought of getting a MPV in near future. Sadly full size MPVs are  getting unpopular, they do have their strong practicality for family people who want to carry more passengers around from time to time. The sliding doors are particularly useful for our tight parking spots. Leg rooms and head rooms are also unmatched by SUV or small MPV. Estima is gone from our market, now left with Sharan and Osyssey, yet Sharan will be discontinued soon too. Large size MPV like Vellfire and Alphard are too big for day to day usage and are also too expensive in my view.

Edited by Ct3833

On 2/10/2021 at 4:38 PM, Unknown79 said:

ehh.. actually the dashboard design is about 15 years old... since the first gen or Face lift from first gen. its really really old haaa. For me i prefer less fanciful dashboard design. Most importantly is functionality. But again, ya it does look very dated. 

But the older gen conti cars has this solid feel in terms of their construction, not found in the new newer ones (unless the higher end models). 

16 hours ago, Ct3833 said:

Scrapped my Odyssey in 2016  and since then have been driving sedan, thought of getting a MPV in near future. Sadly full size MPVs are  getting unpopular, they do have their strong practicality for family people who want to carry more passengers around from time to time. The sliding doors are particularly useful for our tight parking spots. Leg rooms and head rooms are also unmatched by SUV or small MPV. Estima is gone from our market, now left with Sharan and Osyssey, yet Sharan will be discontinued soon too. Large size MPV like Vellfire and Alphard are too big for day to day usage and are also too expensive in my view.

boss... buy before it’s discontinued  

saw the vw ad on fb... sharan on promo now

😅

1 hour ago, Enye said:

boss... buy before it’s discontinued  

saw the vw ad on fb... sharan on promo now

😅

thanks for the info, have to  think harder before spending $100+k😅

Edited by Ct3833

The bros here are right. The discount price of Sharan vs the price that shown on sgcarmart has a huge difference. It seems to be cheaper than Alhambra. Usually what kind of free gifts or further discount can I push from SE? 

The 2020 model comes with a rear kick to open the boot too, they shld add it for both side of the sliding doors too. The interior looks better without the wooden trim but black trim less uncle but the HU and dashboard still the old school type. And rim is now 18" instead of the 17" too. For the tyre pressure monitor does it show the pressure or indicator lights up when low pressure? 

Alhambra comes with blind spot monitor but. It Sharan. Is that something that can be added for Sharan?

Neutral Newbie

Hi bros, able to seek opinion on getting a 6-7 years old Sharan without warranty? 

Any Sharan owner facing issues typically after 5 years? 

Thanks in advance
Cheers!

My facelift Sharan is 5 years 3 months in service (bought it brand new) with a mileage of ~164K Km. These are the 4 non wear and tear issues I have experienced so far:

1) Both cooling fans failed (one after another, within 1 month period) at ~1.5 years mark, claimed under warranty and so far so good. 

2) Bubble on HU display (resulting in intermittent non-sensitive touch response) at 3 years mark, but VCS said cannot claim, so live with it till today. I still can use the buttons on the steering for most control / function btw.

3) Window on the driver side cannot wind up at 4.5 years mark, spent ~$500 to replace the frame for the power window (not the motor issue but the frame structure snap, a rare occurence according to the workshop)

4) Around the same time as the window issue, the rear ABS sensors failed and spent ~$200+ to get it replaced. I don't know if this shoud be classified as wear and tear item... 

Wear and tear wise, engine seal need to be replaced soon as leakage of engine oil started at close to 5 years mark (~160K Km). Other than that, all are good. *touch wood*

Overall I would say it is not too bad if I were to take into consideration my higher than normal mileage (equivalent to a 8 year old car) and travelling pattern (used to drive up to Senai for work every alternate days and both the traffic and road conditions are less than ideal as compared to travelling in Singapore). 

But for 6 - 7 year old ride, it should be the pre-facelift version, where there are known problem with excessive consumption of engine oil, and PCB failure (normally after 7 years). Oh yah, I have also come across failure of motor(s) for the rear sliding doors. In case you are wondering why I know so much, I have another 2 relatives driving the pre-facelift Sharan (bought new in 2011) and both drive until almost EOL before changing to other rides. No direct replacement / substitute for Sharan till date in term power delivery + more than ample space for 7 pax. 

• Praise 7

Neutral Newbie

@Carbon82

Wow didn't expect to get such a detailed sharing. Really appreciate that! Must be the higher up blessing you for being so kind! 
All the best to you & your ride 😃

• Praise 1

(edited)

After 5 years and 100k km, I finally traded in my Sharan this week. Overall, the Sharan has been pretty good except for the fuel consumption (averaging 12-13L/100KM even with sedate driving). Repairs done include brakes, aircon compressor, cooling system, oil cooler, charcoal canister plus the usual tyres, wipers etc. The tipping point is the upcoming repairs (alternator pulley, lower arm bush, engine mounting as confirmed by VW as well as outside workshop) which will easily set me back $5k or so. Not sure if it's because I drove the car pretty hard plus the few trips to MY the first 2-3 years but I can see more repairs akan datang other than the ones mentioned

Special mention to bros Carbon82, Enye, Hamburger and a few others for sharing their experiences back in 2017.

Cheers.

Edited by Kaai
  • Praise 3

@Carbon82 
That's quite a lot more mileage than my Nov 2016 Sharan, which still hasn't done 120k...

I haven't had quite as many issues as yours, but there are similar stories;

(1) no problem with any of the cooling (fans), but I did change the hoses a while back,

(2) no bubbles on the stock HU, but occasionally it does misbehave (does not turn on, Reversing video not showing...) but most of the time (99%) it actually functions well (except a little insensitive in the corners, for example have to press a few times to get the menu to change bluetooth source)

(3) so far all the electronics work pretty well, especially the sunroof, windows, and doors, but the rear hatch seems to occasionally not go up automatically when released from the outside, but usually 1 or 2 more clicks and it works.

(4) My problem with wheels is that the tyres tend to shred, usually within a year (despite rotation and such). Probably due to the way I drive, but for all the cars I own, tyres usually last about 1.5 years at the most. The last 2 changes, I have switched from original CPC 2 to CSC 6, which has the run flat sidewalls, and they seem to hold up better.

(5) I had a minor oil leak a couple years back, and after "inspection", VCS wanted to change multiple things which amounted to 7K... so I went straight to Avantage VAG, and they got it sorted for a lot less (about 1.5K), and I haven't had any further oil leaks since. It does seem to drink, so I add 1L at around 6K and 12K in between servicing.

(6) The past year, the coolant seems to be slowly consumed, but once the sensor goes off, I add more in and the car has never overheated (which cannot be said of my previous cars)

For an almost 5 year 8 month old car, it is holding up very well. I have never changed any lightbulbs, and other than the brakes, oil, filter, spark plugs and the usual wear & tear items, the car is holding up very nicely....and the engine still pulls nice and hard.

Yes, the car will be hard to replace as the time draws closer to the decision "renew COE / buy new car"....

↡ Advertisement