MOE does not encourage sinkees to get degree

King_of_abalone

In the US, anyone who wants a college degree and willing to work for it, gets it.

Over here, gahmen artificially control the number of degree holders.....

And as everyone sees it.

Degree holder = Higher paying jobs (therefore must have quota and be controlled)

Just like COE. You don't want everybody to own a car.

You price it high, so the peasants cannot get it.

To add salt to the wound, how many country in this world has the following?

- Streaming in primary school

- Normal, express and technical stream in Sec school

- ITE, JC, Polytechnic and Pre-U

- Finally, quota on local degree seekers while open flood gate to foreign students

Imagine how many lifes are economically ruined because of such streaming and academic division?!

This uniquely Singapore.. and I'm surprised many are still DAFT about it.

↡ Advertisement

Then how? Become entrepreneur? Govt also frowns on entrepreneurship, preferring that Singaporeans sell their lives to work for GLC and foreign MNC at low wages.

Fact is, without a recognised degree in Singapore, we are screwed for life.

So govt prefers 25% Singaporean grads = opportunity to rise up in life and have chance to be elite.

And 75% Singaporeans to be non grads = become mechanics, technicians, secretaries, factory workers, forever underpaid and stay low on the socioeconomic ladder in order to attract foreign MNCs to open offices and factories here.

As a Singaporean, i figured the govt and MOE already determined our paths and fates in life at a young age, starting from Primary 3 gifted programme streaming, PSLE, Poly, ITE, JC, whatever that govt has determined your life should be.

After all, we cannot have everybody becoming graduates and wanting to be corporate managers. Who is going to do the dirty work then?

as long as you pay the right salary, ppl will do the dirty work, and also do it well!

Long time ago, some MIW ever said that you can only have top 5% to graduate.

So the numbers are the quota.

Otherwise, you will have too many grads without jobs like in Philippines.

And your sisters/mothers become maids in other countries like them.

The best part is that now all those grads over there gets a jobs here.

If we do not need more degree holders, why do we import so many FT with degree from the region?

Degree may not be critical if you do business or in certain industries, but in many fields, it is a requirement.

A lot of countries also do not allow you work there long term if you do not have a degree, never mind how talented you are, or experience you are.

if the gahment wishes to please the public by making an academic degree easily attainable by everyone, then i am afraid this is the wrong policy. why ? because quality of degree is much more important than quantiity. only an irresponsible and populist gahment will do that. be glad.

Edited by Ingenius

If i can acquire more knowledge and stop being goondu and ignorant of the world, why not?

Look i am supporting education for education's sake, not because can find better job or higher pay.

The Govt has no right to restrict higher education to only the top 25% cohort.

that's good.. which is why we have private uni here... hence, there is no restriction of higher education to top 25% cohort...

unless, we are looking that singapore must ensure 50% of its people can get into NUS. that's a different ball game altogether...

just like, we can't have everyone getting into an top college say RJC?

mind you, i am not an elite.. but just another plain joe..

if the gahment wishes to please the public by making an academic degree easily attainable by everyone, then i am afraid this is the wrong policy. why ? because quality of degree is much more important than quantiity. only an irresponsible and populist gahment will do that. be glad.

unfortunately, most MCF forumers do not deem it that way..

say if tomorrow, Harvard / MIT / Imperial / Oxford / Cambridge allows anyone with 2 A level passes to be enrolled in its programme.. would it still be prestigious and highly recognised?

if one just wants to further education for the sake of enhancing one's knowledge, you can easily do it through private unis. that is if one is unable to make it through the cut off for local university..

You can get into university but can you graduate?

That should be the issue. And not your assumption that a degree is easily attainable to all who enter university.

A fairer system would be to make university education available to all who want it and willing to work hard for it, but set stringent standards so that an undergraduate should meet certain grade/standard before he can graduate with a degree.

This will ensure two things:

1) high quality of graduates and by proxy the standard of the university that produces these graduates; and

2) a quality-based method of controlling supply of local graduates entering the job market.

Why not? It depends on how the person carries himself during the interview.

My good friend landed a job with MAS during his 30s with a degree from SIM.

And he got his degree part time, working and studying at the same time......

During his younger days, he repeated his O levels twice & dropped out of ITE

Excellent! you have already answered your own question. Then in this place, there is no need to artificially increase the number of places in local universities...

bearing in mind that we have a declining birth rate, meaning it would only make it easier to enroll in local universities.

You can get into university but can you graduate?

That should be the issue. And not your assumption that a degree is easily attainable to all who enter university.

A fairer system would be to make university education available to all who want it and willing to work hard for it, but set stringent standards so that an undergraduate should meet certain grade/standard before he can graduate with a degree.

This will ensure two things:

1) high quality of graduates and by proxy the standard of the university that produces these graduates; and

2) a quality-based method of controlling supply of local graduates entering the job market.

that's missing the point. I have a friend who somehow scrapped the cut off for university, he did not do well in NTU. In fact, when i graduated in 4 yrs, he was still doing his Year 2, Semester 2...

As you have also mentioned that an student should meet certain grade/standard before he can graduate with a degree, we should make it at the gate point itself.

The last i heard of my friend was he dropped out of university. He is leading quite a bitter life now... In fact, he totally wasted his 4 years in NTU.

I don't understand why you all keep equating degree to jobs.

For example, so what if degree holder drives taxi or washes dishes?

He is an educated man, able to go through thought processes unavailable to the uneducated people. Armed with a degree, he has more opportunities open to him even tho right now he is driving taxi. For example he can start a oart time. business. Having a degree certainly enables him to do business more effectively and more knowledge doesn't hurt.

I cannot see why any govt, and the Ministry of Education at that, would want to restrict more people acquiring more knowledge.

They never restrict. There are many PEOs which are available for one should one intends to upgrade himself. For one, UniSIM was set up with this aim in mind...

There is no contradiction here.

that's good.. which is why we have private uni here... hence, there is no restriction of higher education to top 25% cohort...

unless, we are looking that singapore must ensure 50% of its people can get into NUS. that's a different ball game altogether...

just like, we can't have everyone getting into an top college say RJC?

mind you, i am not an elite.. but just another plain joe..

That is good. I agree with having the private universities here. At least more Singaporeans can receive higher education if they want to.

In my line of work, i have met many people who stopped studying after graduating from poly or ITE. And i am thinking, "this guy is not stupid, if he had a different fate, perhaps did better or studied harder in O levels, he would have gotten into university. His outlook on life would be broader and opportunities available to him would have been very much different."

I sincerely feel for these people.

That is good. I agree with having the private universities here. At least more Singaporeans can receive higher education if they want to.

In my line of work, i have met many people who stopped studying after graduating from poly or ITE. And i am thinking, "this guy is not stupid, if he had a different fate, perhaps did better or studied harder in O levels, he would have gotten into university. His outlook on life would be broader and opportunities available to him would have been very much different."

I sincerely feel for these people.

I fully agree with you. However, if the mass public has the mentality that Singapore MUST increase its enrollment of local students to say 30%, 40%, 50% of its local cohort to our local universities.. Then in this case what good would it be for Singapore..

Bearing in mind that these days a degree is just like a piece of paper...

In life, natural selection has to take place. For late bloomers or people who could not make the grade for local universities, they could simply take on a different path. UniSIM is there.

Good night, i need to sleep liazoz.

Edited by Ivan_06

As you have also mentioned that an student should meet certain grade/standard before he can graduate with a degree, we should make it at the gate point itself.

But if they make the cut at the gate itself, that would be basing their entire selection process on A Level and poly grades.

To me, that is a very myopic and unfair way of admissions to university and in the process, exclude many who may not have done well at A levels or poly but might have done better in university in the course of their choice? And done similarly well in their career?

Similarly, i do not think streaming at Primary 3, primary 6 and O levels is a fair gauge of a person's abilities.

I have met several individuals who did not do well at PSLE or O levels but excelled at overseas universities. They were lucky as their parents could afford overseas education for them. The vast majority of Singaporean parents cannot. As such, their children are condemned in the Singaporean workforce and in the general scheme of things.

a deg is like a passport to the world, by denying u a passport u r chain tied enslaved to do their bidding , better still ur offsprings & theirs will be slaves & whore for all generations

aiyo, you all still debating on this ah.. i tired alreadie..

I shall end off with a 1-liner.

UniSIM is there for a reason! To provide a second chance! PERIOD!

Long time ago, some MIW ever said that you can only have top 5% to graduate.

So the numbers are the quota.

Otherwise, you will have too many grads without jobs like in Philippines.

And your sisters/mothers become maids in other countries like them.

The best part is that now all those grads over there gets a jobs here.

Your post just sparked off a thought in me.

Could it be that the reason Singapore Govt are afraid of having too many local graduates is that if these local graduates cannot find decent jobs, they might just get pissed off and migrate elsewhere to get decent jobs?

That will lead to an exodus of Singaporeans. It is much easier to migrate to Australia, for example, with a degree than without.

No, the govt has decided, it is better to keep the majority of Singaporeans degree-less so that they will be stuck here, underpaid and taken advantage of.

Just a thought.

They never restrict. There are many PEOs which are available for one should one intends to upgrade himself. For one, UniSIM was set up with this aim in mind...

There is no contradiction here.

try applying for a civil service job with PEO degrees.

they will mostly say "not recognized"

↡ Advertisement