CNA:Low Fert. Rate, No Immigration'll Lead To Pop. Decline

Vulcann

So where do we stand?

How many more immigrants are we taking in from now till then?

This is a hard question our top dogs have to answer and will no longer be based on cold hard "end-justify-means" old way of doing things purely from economic sense of achieving an attractive GDP.

From CNA:

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/sin...1151560/1/.html

Low fertility rate, no immigration will lead to S'pore's population decline

By Tan Qiuyi | Posted: 07 September 2011 1105 hrs

SINGAPORE: Singapore's resident population will decline and become extremely aged if the Total Fertility Rate (TFR) is extremely low and if there is no immigration.

This is according to a landmark study on future population growth and change for Singapore published on Wednesday by the Institute of Policy Studies (IPS).

The study produced four population scenarios based on varying TFR and immigration levels.

The study said with TFR at 1.24 births per woman and zero net migration, Singapore's population will decline to 3.03 million in 2050.

With 30,000 migrants added annually, the population projection is 4.89 million in 2050.

And with 60,000 migrants added annually, the population projection is 6.76 million in 2050.

The study also looked at a situation where TFR can be raised to 1.85 births per woman by 2025 with no new immigration. With such a scenario, the study said population size can still only hit 3.37 million in 2050.

The ratio of working people (between the ages of 15-64) to the elderly will also decrease. For instance, with low fertility and 30,000 new residents a year, the ratio drops from 8.6 in 2005, to 2.7 in 2050.

A key conclusion obtained from the study is that without immigration, the total population will decline, even if Singapore's total fertility rate rises from the current 1.15 to 1.85. The number of working people available to support each elderly person is also set to drop in all the scenarios.

However, Dr Yap Mui Teng, who is a senior research fellow at Institute of Policy Studies, said immigration can reduce the dependency burden.

Dr Yap said: "Under the scenario with higher net migration, there will be more people of working ages to support each elderly, compared to the scenario with low migration or scenarios with zero net migration."

Amid growing concerns from the ground about overcrowding and stiffer competition from foreign labour, some asked if population growth is absolutely necessary and how much is enough.

Associate Professor Paulin-Tay Straughan from the National University of Singapore said it is important for the government to determine how much population growth is needed to ensure a balance between a vibrant economy and the social health of society.

She said: "That's why these projections are so important. For us to understand how the projections are made, so that as a community together, we agree that these are the opportunity costs we're willing to accept because we all want to strive for this quality of life."

The government had earlier said it does not target a specific population size.

The study also projected that there will be fewer young people in Singapore if fertility rate remains low. The number of young people under 14 years of age will go down by more than half from 699,000 in 2005 to 274,400 by 2050.

- CNA/fa/ac

↡ Advertisement

So stressed at work how to have sex? I haven't had sex for 8 months!!! no sex how to have money? everything so expensive...milk powder going up!

As i say in another thread..

Again.. knee jerk reaction to increase our working population by mass importing foreigners.. Why don't they look at the root of the problem? Why are Singaporeans not having more children?

Pay themselves sky high salary to solve problems.. but come out with solution which even I can think of.. <_<

Associate Professor Paulin-Tay Straughan from the National University of Singapore said it is important for the government to determine how much population growth is needed to ensure a balance between a vibrant economy and the social health of society.

She said: "That's why these projections are so important. For us to understand how the projections are made, so that as a community together, we agree that these are the opportunity costs we're willing to accept because we all want to strive for this quality of life."

Could not agree more with the former NMP.

To what degree are we saying enough is enough for a decent quality of live without having a sense of being oppressed in this tiny island of ours.

Yes as a nation we are achieving a very attractive GDP since independence and as such we have been accumulating a substantial amount of foreign reserves but there must be a limit to this immigration rate so as not to adversely affect our quality of life as mentioned by our good professor here.

So stressed at work how to have sex? I haven't had sex for 8 months!!! no sex how to have money? everything so expensive...milk powder going up!

I am sure that you have no problems having sex just that you have problems "MAKING LOVE" with your wife [:p] .

Milk powder, just make sure that your wife can produce milk before getting a child [laugh] .

why didn't our highly paid government and their groups of so called highly intelligent think tank find out why singaporeans have low fertility rates, and get down to the root causes????

instead, they have an easy way out - IMPORT people

then why we need the think tank for? and highly paid cabinet???

A key conclusion obtained from the study is that without immigration, the total population will decline, even if Singapore's total fertility rate rises from the current 1.15 to 1.85. The number of working people available to support each elderly person is also set to drop in all the scenarios.

However, Dr Yap Mui Teng, who is a senior research fellow at Institute of Policy Studies, said immigration can reduce the dependency burden.

Dr Yap said: "Under the scenario with higher net migration, there will be more people of working ages to support each elderly, compared to the scenario with low migration or scenarios with zero net migration."

Sure or not? I always thought the elderly are often left to fend for themselves. What support? How does it work?

you saw atm before, right?

we should have AJM (auto jerk machine) which lets you insert your birdie and then helps you jerk off everytime you withdraw money (so save you time by killing two birds - take money and jerk off).

as you collect your money, you also collect your sperm in a plastic tube (shape and colour of your choice).

the tube is important, you pass it to your wife (assuming also too busy to make love with you), let her insert it otot aka DIY.............. this way your baby will be made without wasting of you and your wife's time. :D

Edited by KARTer

I am sure that you have no problems having sex just that you have problems "MAKING LOVE" with your wife [:p] .

Milk powder, just make sure that your wife can produce milk before getting a child [laugh] .

seriously by the time both of us come back from work, we are so tired, sex is the last thing on our minds!

you saw atm before, right?

we should have AJM (auto jerk machine) which lets you insert your birdie and then helps you jerk off everytime you withdraw money (so save you time by killing two birds - take money and jerk off).

as you collect your money, you also collect your sperm in a plastic tube (shape and colour of your choice).

the tube is important, you pass it to your wife (assuming also too busy to make love with you), let her insert it otot aka DIY.............. this way your baby will be made without wasting of you and your wife's time. :D

IVF? very dangerous, can get twins or triplets and as you know I only left $100, how to rise 3 kids!!! [laugh]

There are quite a few relatively successful (not only in terms of GDP, but in other aspects of life too) first world countries which are doing well with small popullation eg switchzland etc.

Could not agree more with the former NMP.

To what degree are we saying enough is enough for a decent quality of live without having a sense of being oppressed in this tiny island of ours.

Yes as a nation we are achieving a very attractive GDP since independence and as such we have been accumulating a substantial amount of foreign reserves but there must be a limit to this immigration rate so as not to adversely affect our quality of life as mentioned by our good professor here.

seriously by the time both of us come back from work, we are so tired, sex is the last thing on our minds!

huh [confused] you are married liao? Tot you broke up with gf and wondering whether to sell a condo?

my question is.... why din they research on the population growth 6-7 years ago?

and after letting in more than 100k migrants per year in the past 6-7 years, and causing problems to housing, transport and society, now then they wake up and say... hey, we should slow down the import of foreigners...

but alas, it's abit late now

As i say in another thread..

Again.. knee jerk reaction to increase our working population by mass importing foreigners.. Why don't they look at the root of the problem? Why are Singaporeans not having more children?

Pay themselves sky high salary to solve problems.. but come out with solution which even I can think of.. <_<

Correct. Btw I wonder is the data 'massaged' to give an impression of 'low fertility' so as to support their policy of mass trash immigration?

All around I see my frens settling down and having 2-3 kids at any one time..I keep going to baby showers and giving money until I pork liao..country wide child care centres are in shortage and complaints are rife about shortage of primary school places..

If this is not indicative of singaporeans heeding the national call to have babies..I wonder what is true..in fact quite the contrary I feel we having more children..anybody feel the same as me this is a brainwashing conspiracy? [whip]

This statement is interesting

So if couples married or not suddenly have the "production" mood & went on to achieve the TFR of 1.85, it is still not enough according to these folks.

That's the cold hard truth.

So folks we need to further open our doors wider to welcome these immigrants, like it or not.

Edited by Vulcann

Xingapore girls mostly r low sex drive..

I think it depends on the stage of the relationship, usually during honeymoon period will be 5 times a week, after 1 year become 4 times a month, after 2 year become 4 times a year.....

↡ Advertisement