New 2nd Generation Mercedes B Class

Davidklt

Hi all, new b class owner here. Just got my car on last week. Everything is great, but i have 2 wish list though.

1. Im surprise it doesnt come with full function of keyless go, its just keyless start. Kind of funny way to open door via remote but yet the car not required to plug the key.

2. I really wish it does come with auto tailgate which will give so much convenient.

May i check with u all if theres possible way to install this function but doesnt void the warranty?

Thanks

Enjoy the new car, and welcome bro.

1 - You can ask your rep, but if you do it outside, at Elebest for example, that will affect that part of your warranty.

2 - No auto-tailgate AFAIK.

You can read more about collecting the car from the links in my signature. Cheers

↡ Advertisement

You know, everything you get onto the road, I see at least one W246 or more.. that's how many there are in SG...

Neutral Newbie

Hi guys! I am thinking of getting a B class 2012 model, left with 7 years. It has been a dream car of mine. Is there anything I need to look out for? Any rough estimate of servicing costs?

• Praise 1

Hi guys! I am thinking of getting a B class 2012 model, left with 7 years. It has been a dream car of mine. Is there anything I need to look out for? Any rough estimate of servicing costs?

Bro

How can a 2012 car have 7 years left?

You can see the costs of servicing from the Mercedes website, that gives you a guide. Since it's out of warranty, you have the option of going to external workshops.

There will be some wear and tear replacement to be done, you can get stuff from stockists.

Bro

How can a 2012 car have 7 years left?

You can see the costs of servicing from the Mercedes website, that gives you a guide. Since it's out of warranty, you have the option of going to external workshops.

There will be some wear and tear replacement to be done, you can get stuff from stockists.

I guess what he meant was 2012 model but its dated 2015 just before the FL design is out in 2015. Thus having the 7 years left

7 year left. Why dont u consider the FL model then since there are 2015 ones too :)
  • Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

I guess what he meant was 2012 model but its dated 2015 just before the FL design is out in 2015. Thus having the 7 years left

7 year left. Why dont u consider the FL model then since there are 2015 ones too :)

Thanks guys for the response. Yes it is a 2012 model COE from 2015. Budget constraint hence looking at the pre FL model. Life sucks. Anyway I read that the servicing can be very much manageable if we service it outside from 2-300 onwards. Is that true?

If you don't mind me asking bro, what's the rationale for getting a 2nd hand B Class? Space? Or prestige?

For the money, there are quite a few 5 seat MPV choices on the market...

The reason I asked is because if the costs are a big concern, even if you visit stockists, external workshops etc, there is still a cost and it will be more than servicing a Toyota / Honda for example.

The gearbox is quite reliable, and the hardware is typically solid. Small issues that others have faced are the peeling of the leather on the steering, the area around the seat belt holder wearing off and some such wear and tear issues. The pre facelift version has no CPA + and no Comfort mode on the gearbox. 

It's a good car, but you have to make sure you are not paying too much. Just talk to your rep or bring it to be checked by AA or even Merc..

Why not spring for a 2017 version ;)

https://www.straitstimes.com/lifestyle/motoring/oil-veterans-roomy-ride

Me And My Car: Oil veteran's roomy ride
ST_20181229_CTMYCAR29NL78_4510763.jpg?itThe owner of a Mercedes-Benz B180, Mr Ong Eng Tong is contemplating an electric car next.ST PHOTO: ALPHONSUS CHERN
PUBLISHED
DEC 29, 2018, 5:00 AM SGT
Ong Eng Tong's Mercedes-Benz B180 is surprisingly spacious despite its compact size
Christopher Tan Senior Correspondent

Mr Ong Eng Tong's association with the automobile and the stuff that powers it goes back a long way.

The 75-year-old mechanical engineer is the Singapore representative of Emutech, a German engineering company with a focus on energy efficiency.

Before that, he worked in the oil industry for about 40 years, most of them with Singapore Petroleum Co, where he was involved in engineering, operations, trading and supply.

His grandfather and grand-uncles started auto parts firm Ong Ban Hong Leong, a 103-year-old company which once held the Toyota distributorship with Boon Siew, then a Honda scooter dealer based in Penang. Borneo Motors took over the Toyota franchise in 1967.

His relatives owned the Green Bus Co, one of several private operators here before Singapore Bus Service was formed in 1973.

Mr Ong's taste in cars is largely pragmatic.

"We were parts stockist for Ford, so I drove Ford cars," he says. "When we had the Toyota business, I drove Toyota cars."

But in recent years, he added Mercedes-Benz to the mix. Currently, he drives a Mercedes B180, a mini multi-purpose vehicle which he says is "very practical".

His retiree wife - they have been married for 51 years - drives a Mercedes C180 sedan.

The couple have two grown-up sons - one works for semiconductor giant Intel and the other for Singapore sovereign wealth fund GIC.

On the B180, Mr Ong says: "It is very spacious. Four big pieces of luggage can go in without folding any seat.

"Recently, we bought a 2.4m-tall Christmas tree and it fit. Of course, we had to fold down the seats."

Despite its spaciousness, the car is compact, which is "good for Singapore, especially when parking".

He also likes its automatic parking function and says the car is fairly efficient, clocking seven to eight litres per 100km.

He bought the car new five years ago. Before that, he drove a Toyota Camry, which was preceded by a Mercedes-Benz 190E.

The energy industry veteran has a few tips to help motorists stretch their dollar.

"Maintain your car well and don't drive like a madman," he advises.

"And don't use 98-octane fuel. Most cars will run well on 95-or 92-octane," he adds. "Not only that, 98 contains more benzene, which causes leukaemia."

He asserts that "all petrols are the same".

"When one company runs low on supply, it will get some from another company," he says. "It's only the additives which are different. But even that, additives are mainly detergent."

For his next car, he is contemplating an electric model.

"But I'm worried about its resale value," he says. "Will anyone buy a used electric car?"

WHAT'S IN THE BOOT?

ST_20181229_CTMYCAR29_4510762.jpgST PHOTO: ALPHONSUS CHERN

• Company brochures and files

Interesting that he uses Ron 95...

After gotten the used B180s, did a few simple mods. Have to get 2 sets for each of the mods shared below except for the car mats.

1) New car mats

Not keen on those 3M/3A type of carp mats, want something that look like JDM found in Vellfire/Harrier.

Paid about S$110 including delivery. Quality very good and came with tabs at strategic places to secure the carpet in place. Very happy with the purchase.

https://shopee.sg/Car-floor-mats-carpet-Mercedes-Benz-CLA-CLK-CLS-W211-W212-W213-W204-W205-W245-i.86564492.1468760229

post-101253-0-96106700-1549718926_thumb.jpg

post-101253-0-10865600-1549718934_thumb.jpg

post-101253-0-79482700-1549718942_thumb.jpg

2) Gas strut bonnet Lift

Cannot believe this cheap car came with manual bonnet lift. As I tend to pop the bonnet quite often, got this DIY kit that took less than 15min to install. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Mercedes-Benz-B-Class-W246-2011-GAS-STRUT-BONNET-KIT/283091112363?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

post-101253-0-81402600-1549723729_thumb.jpg

post-101253-0-56972400-1549723747_thumb.jpg

post-101253-0-40419300-1549723754_thumb.jpg

post-101253-0-90441300-1549723788_thumb.jpg

3) Trim Cover for Power Window Buttons

The aesthetic mod is quite ex at about S$50 but the finishing is very good - cannot tell them apart from other original chrome buttons that came with the car. Just align carefully and paste the covers over the buttons. That's all.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073QNG2GC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

post-101253-0-91578500-1549723504_thumb.jpg

post-101253-0-28858700-1549723513_thumb.jpg

4) New Foot Pedal Covers

Got this to replace the bland dull original foot pedals. Quite easy to install, just pull out the original covers and cover with the new ones. Very worth it at less than S$20. Took a risk as never include B class in the description but got it anyway. Turned out perfect.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BMVPJK2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

post-101253-0-03998300-1549723697_thumb.jpg

Hope this help fellow owners to improve the car ownership experience. Cheers.

Edited by Heartlander
  • Praise 5

Hi all, new b class owner here. Just got my car on last week. Everything is great, but i have 2 wish list though.

1. Im surprise it doesnt come with full function of keyless go, its just keyless start. Kind of funny way to open door via remote but yet the car not required to plug the key.

2. I really wish it does come with auto tailgate which will give so much convenient.

May i check with u all if theres possible way to install this function but doesnt void the warranty?

Thanks

Welcome bro,

The electronic tailgate can be done by yourself, i found one seller for the spare part in taobao, it is about $600. i am also interested in the same, we can buy together and do it together if you like. PM me 

Neutral Newbie

Hi, so did anyone went ahead with installing tailgate yourselves? Thanks as I thought this topic is worth a mention since it adds value to the B180.

Neutral Newbie

Hi, so did anyone went ahead with installing tailgate yourselves? Thanks as I thought this topic is worth a mention since it adds value to the B180.

I did not dare to, scared not functioning well. but i find a workshop can do, 1 year warranty also, price $799 only.

On 7/23/2018 at 1:30 PM, therock said:

If you don't mind me asking bro, what's the rationale for getting a 2nd hand B Class? Space? Or prestige?

For the money, there are quite a few 5 seat MPV choices on the market...

The reason I asked is because if the costs are a big concern, even if you visit stockists, external workshops etc, there is still a cost and it will be more than servicing a Toyota / Honda for example.

If I am looking at something in a 5-seater ”mini-MPV”, or rather, a 5-seater hatchback with comparable cabin space to a B-Class, what are the options out there? Conti or otherwise? Besides BMW 2-Series anyway.

Hi all, after owning this baby for more than 2 years intact, at last decided to do some minor improvement and want to share with all of u here..

1.  Rubber tray for the boot. Very useful to withstand any item dry or wet at the boot. Easy maintenance.
20180509_100427.thumb.jpg.b179145953dbdaa75987dae7b1c063b5.jpg

2. Metal AMG foot pedal cover and rest foot. At the back of rest foot is 3m sticker, however i stick with velcro instead as want to remove it easily when needed.
20180904_190753.thumb.jpg.da255a547bde5a167e8248918630eaa0.jpg

3. Rubber seal door installations. To much wind noise inside the car, especially at the side door. This rubber help to prevent the wind noise and make the car so much quite.
20200625_210153.thumb.jpg.0461c30c25b7c0b53d2e88cbc30c4df7.jpg 

4. Leather wrap steering wheel. Not easy to diy, need so much patience as undo and redo is common during stitching.
20200624_190131.thumb.jpg.c36e0ad00ed54dda1de53af5ccc11317.jpg

5. Gas strut for the bonnet. However, i dont have the wrench for this screw, so now still sitting at my trunk.
20200622_193844.thumb.jpg.859156acf41316eef1bfaf3c77c77f3f.jpg

If any of u has the wrench for the screw and available to borrow, pls do let me know. Thanks 🙂

20200622_220402.thumb.jpg.05f7a88650a1cb08031342634f68072b.jpg

• Praise 4

Anyone still driving a B200 that is more than 8 years old? Hardware like engine and gearbox still going strong? How about aircon compressor, need to change already?

↡ Advertisement