New 2nd Generation Mercedes B Class

Davidklt

Btw what car are you driving ? May I ask have tried driven a Merc before ?

The coming COE is more than more annual income = 90 plus K . Holy MOLLY

current same with my signature, Rx450h :D

driven before '10 E250 for a year n half. then parent driven E200 new eyes last time.

COE at 90k plus, so its worth to get a year old second hand car now

↡ Advertisement

Hello

Some updates.

Test Dr the B-200 the Chrome package.

The feel is not bad with a lot of nice features. It is actually a R-Class but in shorter version. The interior is S-Class make into B.

The following factors are +

1. Rebate from govt for low CO2 emission

2. 1.6l engine which is in Cat A COE

3. After comparison it is even Cheaper than Tiguan

4. Merc Vs Tiguan...

Will make decision over the weekend !

Hello

Some updates.

The feel is not bad with a lot of nice features. It is actually a R-Class but in shorter version. The interior is S-Class make into B.

4. Merc Vs Tiguan...

Just wondering how to compare between a B class and a tiguan, since tiguan is SUV?!

You wonder ?

Have your check out the new Tiguan ?

Have you check out the new B class

Have you check their pricing and CAT A COE

Those are my comparison factors to answer your "wonder" doubt

To which his own, though

Hello

Some updates.

4. Merc Vs Tiguan...

Go for merc, u wont get wrong with it! :D

Have to agree with Innocuous - I can see how someone could compare the B-class with the Tiguan. In the context of Singapore's driving conditions (unless you're really worried about flooding [laugh] ), either would be a Cat A conti alternative to the standard 4 door sedan.

ok thanks.

<i will go test dr the new b class and see how it goes

my choices are

B class

tiguan and

A3.

any comments

Those are 3 very different cars; i.e. mini MPV vs compact SUV vs small hatchback.

I've never driven the A3 before, but I do own a 2012 Tiguan 155TSI and a 2010 B200 Turbo (W245). And I've also test-driven a 2011 B200 (W246). So, here's my two cents:

Tiguan

For an SUV, the Tiguan handles very well. Performance from the 155kW engine that it shares with the Golf GTI is acceptable, enabling the relatively hefty vehicle to do the 0-100 sprint in 7.4 secs. Interior is spacious and very flexible, with a rear bench that slides fore and aft and backrests that have varying angles of incline. A base model Tiguan feels cheap, but an up-specced version feels like an entirely different car. Mine came with most of the options available for the Australian market (i.e. leather upholstery, heated seats, electric adjustment for driver's seat, rear picnic tables, panoramic sunroof, Park Assist 2.0, RNS510 sat nav with reversing camera, 18" alloys, bi-xenons) but sans the ACC, which inflated the final driveaway price by quite a fair bit. To give you some peace of mind, Tiguans are built in Wolfsburg, Germany. And the DSG unit used is the 7-sp DQ500 that is more reliable than the DQ200 and DQ250 used in Polos and Golfs. The biggest criticism against the Tiguan is its smallish 395L boot, but if you have no issues with the A3's even smaller boot, than this shouldn't be a major concern for you.

B200 (W246)

Compared to the W245 B-Class, the W246 represents a step forward in interior quality (provided you spec up your car) and handling. But the use of a conventional monocoque chassis in place of the old sandwich platform meant the W246 has grown in its exterior dimensions whilst also sacrificing some boot space, from the massive 544L of the older model to a still-decent 486L in the new model. Placement of the screen is now more logical; i.e. on top of the dash so that you can keep your eyes on the road. The COMAND APS system can now receive traffic updates and spoken street names via its Linguatronic feature, whereas I had to spell out street names in the older B-Class. And best of all, the new B-Class actually costs less than the older version when compared spec for spec. To put things into perspective, my B200 Turbo matches my Tiguan in performance (142kW and 0-100 in 7.6 Secs) and specs (optioned with leather upholstery, heated seats, panoramic sunroof, active park assist, COMAND APS sat nav, 18" AMG alloys, bi-xenons, Harman Kardon Logic 7 sound system), and both cost exactly the same price. So, a price reduction for the new model is good news indeed. My only gripe with the B200 is its relative lack of power compared to my B200 Turbo. If Mercedes Australia had announced the launch of the recently introduced B250 just a few months earlier, I would've bought it instead of my Tiguan, as the Merc is more fuel efficient, has a bigger boot and comes with 3 years of free servicing under the corporate program.

Jack Jack

Thank you for such detailed comparison not less those technical jargons. I was lost more than once in your write-up.

I am much simpler . My comparison mainly hinges on my budget and branding. Performance , handling torque etc mean nothing to me ; simply I am a plain driver ( or some say Kia-si)

Will buy B class tomorrow !

Cheers

I test drove the new B last Nov and was super disappointed with it.

Interior is...quite plasticky and hard. Not exactly the same feeling it gives when you look at the pictures and go "woahh".

Pick up is...sluggish and noisy. I had to ramp it up full metal to the floor to hear it growling and slowly moving off. Only SE (lady) in front and gf at the back.

The only console is the outlook..which is sharp and the LED headlamps..sweet.

For 1.6l turbo engine at bhp 156 it is sluggish for you... hmm interesting

I reckon the B200's 1.6L turbocharged engine is adequate for Singapore's flat roads. You'll get good fuel economy and road tax savings too.

However, in Sydney where I live, steep hill climbs are pretty common. I've test-driven various cars that include 2.4L RAV4s and CR-Vs, and 3.0L X1s, and they need to be revved hard in order to keep up with traffic going up long slopes. My 2.0L turbos have enough torque not to feel overly strained. Most surprising experience was with a Merc C200 CDI courtesy car that outpaced even a 4.0L Falcon when climbing a 500m stretch. The torque from these diesel engines is simply amazing.

I test drove the new B last Nov and was super disappointed with it.

Interior is...quite plasticky and hard. Not exactly the same feeling it gives when you look at the pictures and go "woahh".

Pick up is...sluggish and noisy. I had to ramp it up full metal to the floor to hear it growling and slowly moving off. Only SE (lady) in front and gf at the back.

The only console is the outlook..which is sharp and the LED headlamps..sweet.

I feel for you, having same thought after test drove, don't have the usual Merc standard in this car.

• Praise 1

To me it is super sluggish. Even set it to sport mode, only can hear the engine sound very loud but no action at all for the car! 156bhp is just a no, it doesn't mean anything to me. If the car is under power, it is under power.

• Praise 1

Hello

Just booked my car. My female cousin, after knowing was keen. Think she will also go test test see see.

Given the ROCKET CAT A COE, she might as well buy Mercedes like I do given our "Marikita" culture on brand conscious , I am sure Merc branding provide very calculated risk .

Hello

Just booked my car. My female cousin, after knowing was keen. Think she will also go test test see see.

Given the ROCKET CAT A COE, she might as well buy Mercedes like I do given our "Marikita" culture on brand conscious , I am sure Merc branding provide very calculated risk .

Excellent. Good choice. You never considered the c class?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1