Chevrolet Orlando New MPV

Patricklyb

Wow, Think I will also consider Orlando for MPV.

is it a MPV or SUV?

Just had a funny comment from a colleague today when we got stuck in a traffic jam: "Why don't you drive your SUV up the grass slope to the other road and go the other way?"

For the uninitiated, the Orlando is a SUV and maybe even a tank!!

(edited)

1) Stable (feels heavy, with slightly stiffer suspension comparable to 50% of FD2 Type-R)

2) Low (but Slightly noisier than Golf)

3) 3rd row 1 seat up/down for 1 (smaller sized ~1.65m) passenger and some cargo; suggests that this could be most efficient

configuration.... for Longer journeys npz.

4) If our GM t/b ecotec engine performs as well as TSI engine, it should be really reliable and efficient; moreover, just to point out, this engine has not been overboosted yet, unlike the TSIs which have been fairly overboosted, which so far not much engine related issues for VW cars, they were mostly GBox issues. This 1.4L should be worked within means, so should still be fine. i.e. this engine when pushed to limit should be able to deliver 148bhp and 250Nm of torque. Our units have not been significantly overboosted.

5) Revving up to 2000rpm, expect slight roar as the engine is working harder to push the 1.65tonne... golf was 400kg lighter, as quiet as a leaf. Once rev up to 2000, turbo spools beautifully, torque comes in, performs at mid-range. Most of the high FC burn ~35L/km at pickup, first 6seconds. Subsequently FC ~3.5L/km... you will find that the engine performs in the 60-120km/h range... the boost is timed really well; mid-range pickup ~9.5L/km max... for approx~ 1-2secs, then is comes back down to 2.5L/km back to cruising.

7) My 2yr old golf batt went flat ~12months.. and second change was few days before collecting Orlando. 2 changes in 2years. but both were free under warranty.

8) Occasional Shift-shocks at low gears~ typically during transition from Gear 2 to 3 at ~1500rpm. Not sure any of you bros have experienced this yet, will feedback to my SA soon... my old golf didn't have this problem due to the DSG... but my previous Jap cars had this problem though...

>>>>
i) One thing I hated most on the Golf 7 was that we constantly had to press the "A/C internal Cir." button, as well as "auto start/stop" button. This was really annoying, when changed to Orlando, didn't have to do it anymore, but then there is a new problem... and that is the info-f*******-tainment system. It keeps bringing me back to the FM Radio. and forgets my last played music selection... whether or not its CD/Ipod/USD/Local... Really annoying, i'm starting to believe that either the Foreign markets only listen to FM/XM Radio.... zzz

ii) Corners, U-turns, MSCP like a boss.
>>>>

Once again, this is an entry-level American CUV. If you benchmark it to Korean/Jap MPVs, it will definitely exceed your expectation.

Hi bros/sis

I am considering between Orlando and Mazda 5. Please share Orlando's experience.

1) Is it stable at 120kph?

2) Cabin noise level low?

3) All seat comfortable for long journey? I think 3rd row is leg room rather than seat comfort

4) How reliable is the turbo engine, so far?

5) Is it under power during starting pick up? I think, once on the move power not an issue.

6) Any bad experience on servicing?

7) Heard battery dies in 13 months. Is it true or only that lemon?

8) Any other info to share, kindly advise.

Appreciate any comments good or bad. No cars are perfect. Thanks.

Edited by TideChas3r

Honda has brought in Accura..

Hyundai has brought in Genesis...

Toyota has Lexus...

Porsche has the Cayenne / Maccan

About time GM brought in Buick (Enclave) or Cadillac (SRX / ESV) to up the game... Give the Cayenne, NX Turbo, and MDX a run for their money...

No, I think GM should instead bring in the Chevrolet Corvette to elevate the brand !!

Corvette-C7-1-thumb-620x388-53773.jpg

2014-Chevrolet-Corvette-Stingray-rear-th

i) One thing I hated most on the Golf 7 was that we constantly had to press the "A/C internal Cir." button, as well as "auto start/stop" button. This was really annoying, when changed to Orlando, didn't have to do it anymore, but then there is a new problem... and that is the info-f*******-tainment system. It keeps bringing me back to the FM Radio. and forgets my last played music selection... whether or not its CD/Ipod/USD/Local... Really annoying, i'm starting to believe that either the Foreign markets only listen to FM/XM Radio.... zzz

For me CD is fine. It reverts to the CD's last position when I switch on the engine and does not go back to FM radio. For the MP3 player, it is as what you said.

Since you guys are now into Camaro and Corvette, must watch the following finale scene in The Last Stand:

Camaro ZL1 is muscle car (very heavy and ultra-thick metal chasis) with top speed at 300km/h.

Corvette ZR1 is sports car (made with light carbon-fibre) with top speed of 330km/h.

Anyway, my son's favourite is the Camaro (very safe car and can seat 5) but mine is always the Impala!

I'll take the Camaro, anytime. :D

Just for fun... [laugh]

Given a choice, which one will you choose?

Nissan GTR35 or Camaro

Lexus LFA Nürburgring or Corvette

7seater, no worries - I'm indeed a die-hard chevy fan! How my Epica had saved me from a horrifying accident last year (exterior all gone, interior cabin intact) had urged me to have more confidence to continue driving a chevy! TP and insurer said usually for such accidents it resulted in death, TPD or disfigurement, but I was perfectly fine (except for backbones are now closer to each other).

Anyway if you were to watch the following contrasting videos, I reckon you would rather invest in the Orlando:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHtl_ISmD34 (Mazda 5 - see how the front wheel's cap drop off, and how frightening the side collision is!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZZLKGDEwfU (Orlando - watch how thick and hard the ultra-strength high density steel cage is in protecting the driver and passengers - especially the side impact)

BTW I did consider the Peugeout 5008 - but because the rear (3rd row) seats are 2 individually separated seats, it means we have no flexibility of space - you can only seat 1 or 2 persons exactly. But Orlando's is continuous, so having 3 seated together (smaller build) is possible!

Maybe I should stop commending on the Orlando, lest it drives up demand and my pricing will be gone!

I have a question, though. When I drove the Optra, I had to change its engine timing belt after some distance. Also needed to top up water to the battery.

But when I changed to Epica, there was NO NEED to change the engine timing belt at all. Also battery needed no maintenance.

What about Orlando? Back to having to change the engine timing belt again like Optra? If so, oh no, oh dear!

Thanks for all the sharing and experience on orlando. Will take a look this week end.

1) Stable (feels heavy, with slightly stiffer suspension comparable to 50% of FD2 Type-R)

2) Low (but Slightly noisier than Golf)

3) 3rd row 1 seat up/down for 1 (smaller sized ~1.65m) passenger and some cargo; suggests that this could be most efficient

configuration.... for Longer journeys npz.

4) If our GM t/b ecotec engine performs as well as TSI engine, it should be really reliable and efficient; moreover, just to point out, this engine has not been overboosted yet, unlike the TSIs which have been fairly overboosted, which so far not much engine related issues for VW cars, they were mostly GBox issues. This 1.4L should be worked within means, so should still be fine. i.e. this engine when pushed to limit should be able to deliver 148bhp and 250Nm of torque. Our units have not been significantly overboosted.

5) Revving up to 2000rpm, expect slight roar as the engine is working harder to push the 1.65tonne... golf was 400kg lighter, as quiet as a leaf. Once rev up to 2000, turbo spools beautifully, torque comes in, performs at mid-range. Most of the high FC burn ~35L/km at pickup, first 6seconds. Subsequently FC ~3.5L/km... you will find that the engine performs in the 60-120km/h range... the boost is timed really well; mid-range pickup ~9.5L/km max... for approx~ 1-2secs, then is comes back down to 2.5L/km back to cruising.

7) My 2yr old golf batt went flat ~12months.. and second change was few days before collecting Orlando. 2 changes in 2years. but both were free under warranty.

8) Occasional Shift-shocks at low gears~ typically during transition from Gear 2 to 3 at ~1500rpm. Not sure any of you bros have experienced this yet, will feedback to my SA soon... my old golf didn't have this problem due to the DSG... but my previous Jap cars had this problem though...

>>>>

ii) Corners, U-turns, MSCP like a boss.

>>>>

Once again, this is an entry-level American CUV. If you benchmark it to Korean/Jap MPVs, it will definitely exceed your expectation.

Orlando so far from the feedback seems positive. Most users are happy especially this 1.4T version.

Any comment on the AD servicing?

Just heard that one SE is offering to sell Orlando at $114k. Don't tell me COE is expected to go back to the upward trend again, leading to a $4k price increase.

Just heard that one SE is offering to sell Orlando at $114k. Don't tell me COE is expected to go back to the upward trend again, leading to a $4k price increase.

Did your SE offered $110k last week? Mine offered me $117k!

Do you know the SE name?

Just popped by Chevrolet showroom to look at Orlando to replace my Wish. Sad to say the staff is not keen to make a sale. Hence went to explore the car on my own. Approached a staff who explained that the latest price is $116,999. Stock will only come in by Sept. By then my mind is made up and decided not to go ahead with Orlando. The staff is a turn off and Orlando is smaller than Wish.

Coolpica, I am on your side - if the staff isn't keen to clinch a deal, you should just walk away.

That's why I preferred the good old days when two different companies were selling Chevrolet - StarAuto and Alpine. If one side isn't keen, I can always go to the other!

To the rest - Anyway I'd just phoned Alpine to confirm that latest offer price is $117k. Looks like there is now a price increase (perhaps owing to stronger demand).

Which also possibly explains why some SEs seem to be adopting a heck-care attitude towards sale.

Just popped by Chevrolet showroom to look at Orlando to replace my Wish. Sad to say the staff is not keen to make a sale. Hence went to explore the car on my own. Approached a staff who explained that the latest price is $116,999. Stock will only come in by Sept. By then my mind is made up and decided not to go ahead with Orlando. The staff is a turn off and Orlando is smaller than Wish.

So sorry to hear about that. There are a few laojiaos there who think that the world owes them a living. The first one who served me was one. It was only during my second trip that I met a relatively nice one and I bought from him.

So sorry to hear about that. There are a few laojiaos there who think that the world owes them a living. The first one who served me was one. It was only during my second trip that I met a relatively nice one and I bought from him.

I thought Borneo Motors service was bad till I experienced Alpine's. At least at Borneo there's acknowledgement when I walked in, but I received none at Alpine. I think it is a shame that the brand is let down by the local dealership. Edited by Coolpica
↡ Advertisement