Chevrolet Orlando New MPV

Patricklyb

hi PATRTAN thanks for the feedback. I was quite surprised to find such solid build car has such consumption.

what I like about the car is that should u need to add overhead box, there is provision on the roof car with the silver trim parts u able to find 4 square opening in which u can mount it on. to me this is a plus point as when I travel to Malaysia there is 7 of us and no place for luggage.

Yup, you can get the roof bars and a box to fix on top if you plan to fully utilise the seats as the boots space is really small if all the seats are up. You can go to this link to look for some roof bars available, they have boxes too. http://email.micksgarage.com/run/v3.aspx?m=q6v5mfNJoEzwUMUlgfvV6MdNaFos%2FndYgKw8%2FGY83AkU4TcMq90qzsDB7Rqye8w3c2CcIEyKuAw%3D_athz_dtkwdw

↡ Advertisement

Yup, you can get the roof bars and a box to fix on top if you plan to fully utilise the seats as the boots space is really small if all the seats are up. You can go to this link to look for some roof bars available, they have boxes too. http://email.micksgarage.com/run/v3.aspx?m=q6v5mfNJoEzwUMUlgfvV6MdNaFos%2FndYgKw8%2FGY83AkU4TcMq90qzsDB7Rqye8w3c2CcIEyKuAw%3D_athz_dtkwdw

The fuel consumption is about the same as my previous car avante. But by comparing the two in term of size I think the Orlando have a better fuel consumption. Power wise is not compromise with the turbo build in. As the Orlando is quite wide the centre row seats can sit three adults comfortably with 3 X 3 points seat belt.

Can drop me a PM, I can tell you where to get a boost for the 1.4T.

That'll transform it into 165PS_250NM.

:D

What is the FC?

What is the FC?

I would said not much different except you floor it hard. It drive better at low end because of more torque available. The car get up to speed faster should be save you some fuel.

(edited)

Hi bambind, I have yet to drive my Orlando up to Genting yet. But I am already planning a trip up to Ipoh sometime in April to visit my father In Law. I believed going up Genting is not a problem for the Orlando at all. I drive my 6 years old Avante up many times and I think Orlando will do the job even better. :D

I drove up and down the mountains of Cameron Highlands during the first month of getting the Orlando. It is a confident and comfortable drive and has more than enough power for going up steep and winding roads with 2 adults 2 kids and luggage.

Along the NSE, I pushed it to 160 km/h and it seems capable of more speed but I stopped myself from going any faster. This car is so much better than the Nissan Latio I used to drive which became breathless around 120 to 130 km/h on the NSE.

Regarding the question on vibration, no, it does not vibrate at idling and I cannot feel or hear the aircon kicking in.

Edited by Maverick713

Neutral Newbie

just went to Chevrolet and Mazda showroom this morning, anyone compared Orlando with Mazda5 before?

just went to Chevrolet and Mazda showroom this morning, anyone compared Orlando with Mazda5 before?

Went to look at it last Sep. Didn't even test drive it as:

1. Design is outdated. Not the latest as compared to Mazda 3 or Mazda 6.

2. Road tax much higher compared to Orlando. (2l car vs 1.4l car.)

3. Price was higher too. No freebies such as free servicing etc.

4. Only 3 years warranty compared to Orlando's 5 year.

5. Space wise seem to be smaller and it is more difficult to get into 3rd row.

Personally, I like Mazda 3 and 6 more than Mazda 5. But that's my personal opinion.

Neutral Newbie

Went to look at it last Sep. Didn't even test drive it as:

1. Design is outdated. Not the latest as compared to Mazda 3 or Mazda 6.

2. Road tax much higher compared to Orlando. (2l car vs 1.4l car.)

3. Price was higher too. No freebies such as free servicing etc.

4. Only 3 years warranty compared to Orlando's 5 year.

5. Space wise seem to be smaller and it is more difficult to get into 3rd row.

Personally, I like Mazda 3 and 6 more than Mazda 5. But that's my personal opinion.

1. Yes, Mazda 3 or 6 definitely looks better, but my selection criteria is only MPV

2. Road Tax, Mazda5=$1,300+ vs Orlando=$600+ according to the sale exec, and think car insurance more expensive

3. Price, Mazda5 is around $7,000 higher than Orlando

4. Warranty, Mazda5 5years warranty +3years free servicing, Orlando 5years warranty but no free service by default.

5. For 3rd row, personally feel Mazda5 is more comfortable and easier to access

6. Mz5 no Push start but has Keyless entry, Orlando=No?

7. FC, Mz5= 6.6L/100Km, Orlando=7.1L/100km

8. Fuel Tank, Mz5=60L, Orlando=64L

9, Engine, Mz5=2.0, Orlando= 1.4 Turbo

10. Sunroof, Mz5=yes, Orlando= No

12. Mz5 MIJ, Orlando MIK

13. Dashboard, Mz5 very old or ordinate design, Orlando feel more futuristic

14. Airbag, both only come with 2 airbags

15. Rain sensor, both Yes

16. Power fold side mirror, auto headlamp on/off, Mz5=yes, Orlando=?

17. Resale Value, seems like Mazda better than Chevrolet?

In dilemma to choose between these two cars...

1. Yes, Mazda 3 or 6 definitely looks better, but my selection criteria is only MPV

2. Road Tax, Mazda5=$1,300+ vs Orlando=$600+ according to the sale exec, and think car insurance more expensive

4. Warranty, Mazda5 5years warranty +3years free servicing, Orlando 5years warranty but no free service by default.

12. Mz5 MIJ, Orlando MIK

Point 3: Mz5 is $7000 more than Orlando means the "free" servicing is already "paid for", right?

Point 4. Warranty, Mazda5 5years warranty +3years free servicing, Orlando 5years warranty but no free service by default. Not sure about this but I got 3 years free servicing when I bought in November last year at probably $1K more (after less the freebies) than the current pricing.

Point 16. Power fold side mirror, auto headlamp on/off, Mz5=yes, Orlando=yes for power fold mirror but no for auto headlamp. However, I have overcome that by fixing a simple auto headlamp controller designed for Chevrolet models:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car-automatic-headlight-Sensor-switch-for-Chevrolet-Cruze-Aveo-Malibu-New-Regal-Free-shipping/2009791577.html

car-automatic-headlight-sensor-switch-fo

So far I have not seen any newer used Mazda 5s on sgcarmart for sale. As for the few Orlandos on sale, I would say that their selling prices shows that their depreciation is not worse than Jap cars.

Guess you have to create a list of priorities in what you want for your new MPV. It will make it easier for you to choose. Other than Mazda 5 and Orlando, there are a few more options in the market that you may want to consider. A friend of mine bought the Grand Picasso and gave me a ride in it. Was quite impressed with it too and price is comparable to Mazda 5 as well. Another two MPVs that I considered before were the Honda Freed and Toyota ISIS due to their sliding doors. Have to reject them as I prefer a more powerful engine which Freed doesn't have, and something that look more fierce which ISIS doesn't have.

Another advantage I see Orlando have over Mazda 5 is the height clearance. Driver's view is good and the car has a commanding presence, especially when I turn on my fog lights as well to scare away road hoggers. ;)

After driving Orlando for almost 2 months, I would say that the following are my minor complaints about Orlando.

1. Entertainment system can't be replaced by aftermarket systems easily... Went to a Foon Audio and was informed that they don't have a system to replace. I know that you can get other similar entertainment systems on Aliexpress and Ebay, but replacing the GPS maps and radio frequencies on these Korean/Russian/USA sets are also hassles as well and may not support the local maps.

2. Steering wheel is quite hard compared to my previous Airwave. Don't really enjoy holding it when driving. Intend to get a customized leather cover for the steering wheel soon.

3. Some of the glossy plastic parts on the dashboard are very prone to fingerprint marks. Intend to do carbon fibre stickers on them to make the interior more classy.

4. Not a lot of choices for aftermarket rims due to the relatively rare PCD.

If given a choice for MPV again, I'll still get Orlando though. If price is not a consideration.... I'll love to get the Volvo XC90.

12. Mz5 MIJ, Orlando MIK

Just realized that GM Canada discontinued the Orlando in March 2015. So there is no 2015 model Orlando in Canada.

Will there be any problem for Orlando spare parts in future if Orlando is discontinued in other countries?

Not been to show room for quite a while due to high COE.

Any brother knows what price is for Orlando now?

So far I have not seen any newer used Mazda 5s on sgcarmart for sale. As for the few Orlandos on sale, I would say that their selling prices shows that their depreciation is not worse than Jap cars.

Guess you have to create a list of priorities in what you want for your new MPV. It will make it easier for you to choose. Other than Mazda 5 and Orlando, there are a few more options in the market that you may want to consider. A friend of mine bought the Grand Picasso and gave me a ride in it. Was quite impressed with it too and price is comparable to Mazda 5 as well. Another two MPVs that I considered before were the Honda Freed and Toyota ISIS due to their sliding doors. Have to reject them as I prefer a more powerful engine which Freed doesn't have, and something that look more fierce which ISIS doesn't have.

Another advantage I see Orlando have over Mazda 5 is the height clearance. Driver's view is good and the car has a commanding presence, especially when I turn on my fog lights as well to scare away road hoggers. ;)

After driving Orlando for almost 2 months, I would say that the following are my minor complaints about Orlando.

1. Entertainment system can't be replaced by aftermarket systems easily... Went to a Foon Audio and was informed that they don't have a system to replace. I know that you can get other similar entertainment systems on Aliexpress and Ebay, but replacing the GPS maps and radio frequencies on these Korean/Russian/USA sets are also hassles as well and may not support the local maps.

2. Steering wheel is quite hard compared to my previous Airwave. Don't really enjoy holding it when driving. Intend to get a customized leather cover for the steering wheel soon.

3. Some of the glossy plastic parts on the dashboard are very prone to fingerprint marks. Intend to do carbon fibre stickers on them to make the interior more classy.

4. Not a lot of choices for aftermarket rims due to the relatively rare PCD.

If given a choice for MPV again, I'll still get Orlando though. If price is not a consideration.... I'll love to get the Volvo XC90.

Just realized that GM Canada discontinued the Orlando in March 2015. So there is no 2015 model Orlando in Canada.

Will there be any problem for Orlando spare parts in future if Orlando is discontinued in other countries?

Whoa, Canada...so far away. You do know Chevrolet is under the parent company GM and just last year they open an international HQ here at OUE Bayfront in Aug 2014? In other words they are expanding here in Asia region.

Anyway if you checked the Korean website you will see the Orlando facelift model. You do know this car comes out of the assembly plant in S.Korea? Other dan Korea there are also assembly plants in Thailand and Australia (Holden also under GM group) in the region. I think in Canada they face stiff competition from the SUVs and trucks there, maybe that's why they pull out that model.

Why Canada will affect the parts availability? It's not even the regional market here in SEA.

You can always check out sgcarmart.com for the listed price. Anyway Singapore so small travel to the showroom, see for yourself and test drive isn't a hassle. If you need a sales contact I could pm you.

I drove a Chevrolet Aveo in 2005 and was quite active in the car club forum a while back. Some of the forummers there are still driving their almost 10 year Chevys and they have no problems with spare parts or finding workshops for maintainence even though their AD(Starauto) has since closed down and Alpine motors have taken over fully. Anyway, the AD should maintain their inventory of parts for at least 10 years.

I am not too sure about the current price. But I guess should be about 120-125k? Just pop by to get a SE contact and ask him to update you lor. The longer I drive my Orlando, the more convinced that I have made the right choice.

With the COE going sky high and nowhere near my budget, I also delayed getting one. Wonder what's the price like too.