Halloween-gate at Night Safari

Ahtong

Night Safari will usually have a Halloween event in October but this year's event has been cancelled:

Despite its success in previous years, Wildlife Reserves Singapore (WRS) has decided to cancel Halloween Horrors to refocus our energies on organising more relevant activities for the whole family to enjoy.

We would like to hold events that appeal to both the young and the old. Therefore, in place of Halloween Horrors next month, we will organise a special Deepavali experience at Jurong Bird Park and Singapore Zoo. It will offer a great occasion for us to spread our message of wildlife conservation through educational and engaging family-oriented activities.

Link

According to a poster at EDMW: Link

lolxuan wrote:

Hi guys, I was involved in last year's halloween horrors and was gonna be in this year's too as a scare actor.

The entire event was planned by a group of students from SP's Diploma in Events and Project Management as their final year project, just like last year. Everything from the theme, costume design, recruitment/audition of actors to the actual planning and exectution of the event was and would have been done by them. Most of the scare actors, about 90% of us, are either poly students or recently graduated poly students.

The last minute cancellation came as a huge shock to all of us involved because it's less than 3 weeks to the start of the actual event. I was actually at the night safari trying out my costume the other day and when i got home at night I heard that someone high up decided to pull the plug on it just like that.

This annual halloween event has been going on since 2007 and is always a huge success in both drawing crowds as well as making huge profits for the Night Safari/Singapore Zoo. it is ridiculous to expect anyone to believe that the actual reason of cancelling such a highly anticipated event so close to its start is to make way for events like a Deepavali festival or other 'family oriented' events.

If they were against this from the start they would and should have cancelled it a long time ago, not only now. Not when all the costumes are done, makeup artists have been hired, scare actors auditioned and trained, props and decoration on site been set up, roadshow booth opened at Orchard and even tickets already gone on sale.

To people speculating about there being a religious nut behind this last minute cancellation, that certainly seems to be a possibility. From what we understand so far, the decision came from Wildlife Reserves Singapore's new interim CEO, Isabella Loh. (you can google her elite, uncaring face) The reasons we got apart from the one they told the media is that 'having an event like Halloween Horrors is like worshipping the devil.' I'll say that the people working at the Night Safari/Singapore Zoo, members of the public and of course the students who are directly involved in creating this event are all extremely disappointed in this shocking decision. I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions as to what is going on...

lolxuan wrote:

Okay guys, here's the latest update.

It has been confirmed that the decision to cancel Halloween Horrors was a sole decision made by the CEO.

We are trying hard to get this decision overturned now so the event can go ahead as planned.

Please don't let 7 months of hard work and effort go down the drain like that. If you are involved in this event, have been involved in past years' events or simply would like to go to this event then I appeal to you to help make your feelings known in whatever way you can! Spread the word people!!!

As with all internet postings, take with some salt and draw your own conclusions

↡ Advertisement

So did the chaps got paid? If paid, ok what :huh:

The event is done by students for their FYP. I wonder what happens to their grades if the event is cancelled?

Hmm.... maybe the interim CEO is trying to score some brownie points to convert her temporary position into a permanent one.

One would be hard-pressed to earn wings with forked tongue.

The event is done by students for their FYP. I wonder what happens to their grades if the event is cancelled?

I saw in the news their grades will not be affected.

But i think the CEO is kinda selfish when so many ppl are looking forward to it.

I saw in the news their grades will not be affected.

But i think the CEO is kinda selfish when so many ppl are looking forward to it.

i think it is kinda unprofessional to let personal misgivings come in the way of commercial decisions. furthermore, i wouldn't rock the boat when i am still a freshie. Unwise move if you ask me

Night Safari will usually have a Halloween event in October but this year's event has been cancelled:

Despite its success in previous years, Wildlife Reserves Singapore (WRS) has decided to cancel Halloween Horrors to refocus our energies on organising more relevant activities for the whole family to enjoy.

We would like to hold events that appeal to both the young and the old. Therefore, in place of Halloween Horrors next month, we will organise a special Deepavali experience at Jurong Bird Park and Singapore Zoo. It will offer a great occasion for us to spread our message of wildlife conservation through educational and engaging family-oriented activities.

Link

According to a poster at EDMW: Link

lolxuan wrote:

Hi guys, I was involved in last year's halloween horrors and was gonna be in this year's too as a scare actor.

The entire event was planned by a group of students from SP's Diploma in Events and Project Management as their final year project, just like last year. Everything from the theme, costume design, recruitment/audition of actors to the actual planning and exectution of the event was and would have been done by them. Most of the scare actors, about 90% of us, are either poly students or recently graduated poly students.

The last minute cancellation came as a huge shock to all of us involved because it's less than 3 weeks to the start of the actual event. I was actually at the night safari trying out my costume the other day and when i got home at night I heard that someone high up decided to pull the plug on it just like that.

This annual halloween event has been going on since 2007 and is always a huge success in both drawing crowds as well as making huge profits for the Night Safari/Singapore Zoo. it is ridiculous to expect anyone to believe that the actual reason of cancelling such a highly anticipated event so close to its start is to make way for events like a Deepavali festival or other 'family oriented' events.

If they were against this from the start they would and should have cancelled it a long time ago, not only now. Not when all the costumes are done, makeup artists have been hired, scare actors auditioned and trained, props and decoration on site been set up, roadshow booth opened at Orchard and even tickets already gone on sale.

To people speculating about there being a religious nut behind this last minute cancellation, that certainly seems to be a possibility. From what we understand so far, the decision came from Wildlife Reserves Singapore's new interim CEO, Isabella Loh. (you can google her elite, uncaring face) The reasons we got apart from the one they told the media is that 'having an event like Halloween Horrors is like worshipping the devil.' I'll say that the people working at the Night Safari/Singapore Zoo, members of the public and of course the students who are directly involved in creating this event are all extremely disappointed in this shocking decision. I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions as to what is going on...

lolxuan wrote:

Okay guys, here's the latest update.

It has been confirmed that the decision to cancel Halloween Horrors was a sole decision made by the CEO.

We are trying hard to get this decision overturned now so the event can go ahead as planned.

Please don't let 7 months of hard work and effort go down the drain like that. If you are involved in this event, have been involved in past years' events or simply would like to go to this event then I appeal to you to help make your feelings known in whatever way you can! Spread the word people!!!

As with all internet postings, take with some salt and draw your own conclusions

this is why such high position should not let female do as they cannot think rationale and tend to score charlie points for themselves then seeing the big pics....look at AWARE saga....religious, power, want to show the world that women can outdone men mentality....

Why need to go all the way to Nigth Safari or Universal Studios to see ghosts, zombies, ghoulies, etc?

Take MRT and alight at City Hall, walk to Parliament house can see many many. And it's free!

From a business point of view, I find the decision very weird.

Since the event is profitable, might as well go through with it rather than waste the time, effort and most importantly $$$ that is already committed.

They can always make the changes next year.

Don't mix personal beliefs with making money

Edited by Ahtong