Chris Tan: Car prices to head south soon

Mustank

Precisely!

All the other countries in the world don't have their gahmen restricting them when it comes to buying cars.

Only Singapore and Beijing [only recently after the Olympics] does.

our government shld restrict... best if cut down the no of cars by 30%...

cannot afford? dun drive... simple...

I won't go to a pte plane forum n kpkb abt price of pte plane

Edited by Raymondism
↡ Advertisement

our government shld restrict... best if cut down the no of cars by 30%...

cannot afford? dun drive... simple...

I won't go to a pte plane forum n kpkb abt price of pte plane

We're talking about a private form of transport here. Henry Ford commercialized motor vehicles.

Can't we have the freedom of motoring in our own hands as well??

Seriously, our gahmen hans't been expanding the infrastructure fast enough. In fact, they couldn't be bothered to.

They'll rather limit vehicular population growth, by reducing the quota, and thus jacking up COE prices, than building more roads, so that more people can use it.

We're talking about a private form of transport here. Henry Ford commercialized motor vehicles.

Seriously, our gahmen hans't been expanding the infrastructure fast enough. In fact, they couldn't be bothered to.

They'll rather limit vehicular population growth, by reducing the quota, and thus jacking up COE prices, than building more roads, so that more people can use it.

they rather make flat so they can next target 12million FT

With COE, the situation on jams are already attracting so much complaints. What would the consequences be if there are no COE ? Can Singaporeans live with it ?

COE prices, let's not forget are determine by the market. If Singaporeans are silly enough to pay $50,000 or more of the right to own a car, they got to blame no one but themselves for the high prices.

Precisely!

All the other countries in the world don't have their gahmen restricting them when it comes to buying cars.

Only Singapore and Beijing [only recently after the Olympics] does.

Edited by Davidtkl

w/o COE, i believe jam will be even worse....its like raising the price of cigarettes, if it remains low price, then more ppl will even smoke.

Which country in other places has its gahmen give restrictions to all the people of the country owning cars???

The last I checked, NONE!!!

Please do not compared this small island with the other countries in the world; Just look at our neighbours ...... KL, Manila, Jakarta, BKK etc. One of their biggest problem that they are facing is the traffic jams.

Most of us (Not all) would agree that some form of control of the car population is necessary but I would not say that COE i the best system. I would agree that some changes may be necessary to improve the system further.

We have a population of 5 Million and a car population close to 1 million. Our roads and expressay are not coping with 1 Million cars on the road, how to cope if there is no restriction.

I will support to cut COE due to the incorrect projections in Y2006 to y2008. having any growth ..... even at 1.5% will add to the car population. I would rather see the government improves tha public transport systems to cater to the increased population.

Singapore is so small how much more roads can you pile on?

My friend in Beijing just told me she spent more than 45mins to cover just 1.5 km on the road going to office in her car. Yes. 1.5km not 15km. I can run that distance in significantly less time.

This happens when car ownership grows out of control. Is this what you want on our roads?

Edited by Davidtkl

its becoming de facto..i would worry if ERP/COE is removed..imagine most cars will be crawling inches on the road and every single parking lot is taken..traffic comes to a gridlock

just as how our govt used to worry about bartop dancing will cause riots right?

or how a 2 party system will destabilize singapore until singapore becomes a country more backward than batam

or how a 2 party system will create such confusion in government that absolutely NO policy will be able to get passed due to constant bickering

also how a minimum wage will create vast unemployment and scare foreign investors into leaving singapore immediately

the writer forgot to factor in that, those who scraped their car, most will buy car again, drop back to $20k soon? don think so.....

Edited by Tom_kkh

All people going city in the morning. No one going out of city in the morning. Decentralisation of city centre will reduce jams.

The current COE system is vunerable to big swing in price (both ways):

When COE Going Up

In general, more people would keep their rides longer and even when they sell, they could get a better price by selling in the 2nd hand car market, hence less scraped cars and less COE. COE would continue to go up.

When COE Coming Down

When the drop in COE becomes substantial (due to lower demand), those who owned a higher value COE like $70K would scrap their rides as selling in the 2nd hand car market would bring lower prices. More COE would then be released and prices would continue to fall, subsequently those with $60K, $50K, $40K would start to scrap their rides and more and more COE would flood the market. This would result in a vicous cycle.

Perhaps the Beijing way of controlling the car population would be more effective but of course those who could pay would complain got $$$ no car!

Edited by Achee

build more road? build where?

All people going city in the morning. No one going out of city in the morning. Decentralisation of city centre will reduce jams.

gahmen planned for it... kpe then circle line... part of the city will occupy paya lebar area... those support units will move out of cbd...

The article sounds sweet to the ears if read on the surface. But you have to analyse it deeper if it holds water...Would think there are other factors have to be considered that affects COE prices just besides the numbers alone.

A. These group of car owners (majority) would want to continue oqning a car. Wouldn't you?? They would have to bid for a new COE before they scrap the old car. It's like the COE is being recycled back to the same owner. Lesser available COE flow back to the pool for "new car owners (whom don't own a car yet, new drivers etc) is very small. The situation would change if unless these cars owners gives up owning a car completely.

B. LTA would not release additional COEs into the pool as there too many cars on the road in 2-3 years time. This was an error in their calculations in the past and have to be rectified. Thus the only numbers might just be these COEs being scrapped and recyled back. The worst case scenario is there might be a cut back of these recycled COEs back into the pool! We can't see the future LTA the decisions.

C. Economics factor. It's demand and supply. Less COEs, prices would hold steady. It would also depend on the world and country's economy. What is more important, roof over your head and food on the table or the car? Things would get priotise...

D. There are way too many cars on the road today. Can't imagine driving on highway with jams. But seriously, when I see an ambulance travelling on the highway during the peak hours, the ambulance struggle to get clearance to reach their important destination as fast and safe as possible. Every seconds counts for any life. Something must be done to alleviate this situation aspecially for such emergency situation.

People don't complains as much about the rise of number of cars on the roads as compared to other matters...

gahmen planned for it... kpe then circle line... part of the city will occupy paya lebar area... those support units will move out of cbd...

must do more. Must have a 50/50 balance of office and residence esp in city. Of course dont inckude heavy industries

you see there is a disapprotinate high residence in north west, north and north east. City should decentralise into this kind of high residence area

↡ Advertisement