Mini Cooper queries

Lucaswh

Might as well get R56 JCW.

For COE car, it is likely to be R50 which is more problematic.

Ok did quite abit of reading that n14 really got alot of problems.

Alright look see look see again

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

I had the N18 engine version and it was quite reliable for me, I think if you really want to get probably stock version non cab is best. Those modded up once high chance will have some issues down the road, I agree with David the double sunroof actually enough to feel as good as a cab.

Ok did quite abit of reading that n14 really got alot of problems.

Alright look see look see again

Sometimes one need to experience it for him/herself before believing.....  :D

i also scared.. buying a coe-ed car can also mean hugging it till death do us part. Difficult to resell unless highly sought after model.

Not only need to worry about engine bay, the interior fit, parts and finishing will drive you crazy... 

i also scared.. buying a coe-ed car can also mean hugging it till death do us part. Difficult to resell unless highly sought after model.

• Praise 1

(edited)

I had the N18 engine version and it was quite reliable for me, I think if you really want to get probably stock version non cab is best. Those modded up once high chance will have some issues down the road, I agree with David the double sunroof actually enough to feel as good as a cab.

Thank you for the tips and advice.

Just my 2 cents worth of comments if you don't mind.

If I were in your position, I would ask myself, is this going to be a primary car for myself? If this is a secondary car/weekend car/leisure car, do I have the extra cash to service/restore/repair the car to it's good condition should it breakdown? On top of that, am I willing to absorb depreciation of the value of the vehicle, even if it meant I need to dispose off in the future.

After all these questions, I think you will get your answer.

Not only need to worry about engine bay, the interior fit, parts and finishing will drive you crazy...

This point, I can vouch for it. No point buying a car when everything is haywire all the time. It brings more frustration to you only. Edited by Dinosaur33
  • Praise 2

On 6/13/2019 at 1:17 PM, Vratenza said:

would the engine build of a BMW 1 series be a better bet. I understand the list of the problem goes from the cramp engine bay belt changes to the water pump and coolant leak to oil leak .

But not as problematic as a RX8. 

On 4/7/2019 at 11:12 AM, Voodooman said:

My mechanic's view:

Usual BMW issues plus higher wear and tear rate due to the compact engine bay = not for high mileage drivers.

are the parts inter-changeable for the engine as the BMW is rear wheel drive vs front wheel drive.?

I imagine engine parts should be the same except for the transmission and the JCW variant.

Is it true that the JCW is using the N14 instead of the newer incarnation for 2012.?

1 hour ago, Sdf4786k said:

would the engine build of a BMW 1 series be a better bet. I understand the list of the problem goes from the cramp engine bay belt changes to the water pump and coolant leak to oil leak .

But not as problematic as a RX8. 

The bwm platform is way better.... But still cannot beat physics. 

My current 2017 mcs is OK mechanically  but still have pretty high wear and tear. Engine mount change at 2yrs. Brake pads and rotors change at 2.8yrs.

• Praise 1
  • Shocked 1

4 minutes ago, Vratenza said:

The bwm platform is way better.... But still cannot beat physics. 

My current 2017 mcs is OK mechanically  but still have pretty high wear and tear. Engine mount change at 2yrs. Brake pads and rotors change at 2.8yrs.

2017 is the 2.0 T? same as the 228 230 engine. I supposed it should be very much improved upon.

29 minutes ago, Sdf4786k said:

2017 is the 2.0 T? same as the 228 230 engine. I supposed it should be very much improved upon.

Yes, engine cover is the same... Just change logo to mini... even the tranny is the well-received BMW 8AT. 

Edited by Vratenza

5 hours ago, Davidtch said:

From 2018, it is on DCT similar all FWD BMW.

just like the EA888.3 from VW/audi/skoda. As long as you running it with DQ381/DQ500, you good to go.

Edited by Sdf4786k
  • Praise 1

2 minutes ago, Sdf4786k said:

just like the EA888.3 from VW/audi/skoda. As long as you running it with DQ381/DQ500, you good to go.

Getrag 7DCT300.

I think wet clutch

• Praise 1

3 hours ago, Davidtch said:

Getrag 7DCT300.

I think wet clutch

Getrag 7DCT300 only renualt and some other atas euro using.. 

↡ Advertisement