Upsizing rolling diameter

Zyrofillica

nice front kit.. always wanted to get 1 galant... but bo lui [bigcry]

your front kit very special... still got retain the original galant type foglights [thumbsup]

thanks. Your triton also very nice pickup, always wanted one. Also got pimped headlights with alot of light bulbs to change eh? At least you dun have to worry about wheel gap!

tmrtriton1.jpg

Edited by Zyrofillica
↡ Advertisement

I think everyone already mentioned all the possible concerns about your upsizing plan, I feel the most pertinent is rubbing inner wheel well when full-lock turning, other than that speedometer a bit out is ok? Just don't speed, stay 5km/h below the limit (as indicated by meter) [:)]

I was once low, 1 finger front, zero to negative finger rear, with no one in car! Unusable, I changed that setup after few months, how to park? strictly no overhang allowed over any kerb (initially bang the bumper a lot) so the car quite 'sticks out' esp in normal HDB lots, and no need to say, at least half of the humps I go over is scrappage time, even if very slowly, with 1 person in car only (driver)!! Going up MSCP slope, every slope is scrappage also

As I said, unusable, changed very quickly, but I never put any skirting/lip/bodykit, I know to each his own, but I loves the LOW, but strictly w/o kit, bare body shape best, btw, 2006 Altis

Kenny

i agree without kit you can go REALLLY low. but too late liao, i never think of lowering before putting on the kit. [knife]

no not stock. its about 2 inches lower than stock.

thinking upsize 5% and lower 2 inches but then im not sure if i can survive most carparks. anyone here with ultra low cars? How do you park/survive? [gossip]

Thats why.... It looks like your wheel gap is about 8cm maybe even 9cm??? Here I thought mine was bad (so I upsized mine on Monday by about 2.5%) [:p]

Looking at the math (using the 4.4% difference in 224/45R18), even if you "upsize" the profile to 225/45R18, because the center-point is the middle of the wheel, it means your gain is 22mm in lesser wheel arch height, as well as 22mm in additional clearance from the road. BUT if you lower the car by 2 inches, you'll be about 3cm lower than now which will compound your scraping issue.

There are three things you can do

1) Do what you plan and accept the scraping.

2) Do what you plan, but change to a stock bumper and accept that your car looks the same (not that there are many other galants [:p] )

3) Do what you plan, but forget the lowering, and accept the gap in the wheel arch

The first would look the best, the second is probably what I would do, but after I try the first and then only IF the bumper gets damaged enough that you need to change it.

Thats why.... It looks like your wheel gap is about 8cm maybe even 9cm??? Here I thought mine was bad (so I upsized mine on Monday by about 2.5%) [:p]

Looking at the math (using the 4.4% difference in 224/45R18), even if you "upsize" the profile to 225/45R18, because the center-point is the middle of the wheel, it means your gain is 22mm in lesser wheel arch height, as well as 22mm in additional clearance from the road. BUT if you lower the car by 2 inches, you'll be about 3cm lower than now which will compound your scraping issue.

There are three things you can do

1) Do what you plan and accept the scraping.

2) Do what you plan, but change to a stock bumper and accept that your car looks the same (not that there are many other galants [:p] )

3) Do what you plan, but forget the lowering, and accept the gap in the wheel arch

The first would look the best, the second is probably what I would do, but after I try the first and then only IF the bumper gets damaged enough that you need to change it.

Thanks. Hows your 2.5% upsize doing. Any big effects on the way the car drives?

i have also upsize by 5% before and no problem only speedo reading is actually faster than real road speed so be careful. transmission detects torque so it doesn't matter. fuel consumption may improve alightly though

i have also upsize by 5% before and no problem only speedo reading is actually faster than real road speed so be careful. transmission detects torque so it doesn't matter. fuel consumption may improve alightly though

FC improve cause the computer trip "thought" car travel more than it really had?? due to 5% increase in speedo

Thanks. Hows your 2.5% upsize doing. Any big effects on the way the car drives?

Mistake, its about 2.2%, translates to about 6mm difference in wheel gap height. The only difference is that it seems less nippy, kind of like having late gear changes. The reason is probably because it takes longer and more torque to reach the sensor speeds its used to. I could probably just step harder to compensate, but I did get quiet comfy FD2's for a reason [laugh]

thank you. but nothing about upsizign effects. I also worry about the additional weight (if too much) and how it will affect the suspension and drive train components in the long run? Are my parts designed to handle such heavy wheels/rims?

FC improve cause the computer trip "thought" car travel more than it really had?? due to 5% increase in speedo

errr, upsize tyres means you are faster than you actually are. Hence by right u shd have travelled more distance than you would have on stock, hence your FC would have actually improved! (if your fc readout is the same) [rolleyes]

Mistake, its about 2.2%, translates to about 6mm difference in wheel gap height. The only difference is that it seems less nippy, kind of like having late gear changes. The reason is probably because it takes longer and more torque to reach the sensor speeds its used to. I could probably just step harder to compensate, but I did get quiet comfy FD2's for a reason [laugh]

i heard rumours also that inspection they check tyre size and if u upsize more than the recommended limit, they will fail you. Is that true? or does this only apply to insurance companies when it comes to claims.

i heard rumours also that inspection they check tyre size and if u upsize more than the recommended limit, they will fail you. Is that true? or does this only apply to insurance companies when it comes to claims.

That I'm not sure. Sorry.

Some of things you may want to take note. 1) FC will suffer partly becos 17" 2) Pick up wise to me same as before when I'm on 16". 3) Braking distance slightly affected maybe becos is car heavy then before. 4) Tranny changing gear feel the same. But recently got some prob during shifting but this issue already appear when I'm on 16".

Other then the abovementioned so far so good. Oh ya I have tried full load with 5 adults on board the tyres never hit the fender but instead look veri chio cos the wheel arch got no gap. Finger also cannot insert in. laugh.gif

Some of things you may want to take note. 1) FC will suffer partly becos 17" 2) Pick up wise to me same as before when I'm on 16". 3) Braking distance slightly affected maybe becos is car heavy then before. 4) Tranny changing gear feel the same. But recently got some prob during shifting but this issue already appear when I'm on 16".

Other then the abovementioned so far so good. Oh ya I have tried full load with 5 adults on board the tyres never hit the fender but instead look veri chio cos the wheel arch got no gap. Finger also cannot insert in. laugh.gif

strictly speaking veh inspection they can fail you if you are not on Carmaker recommended tyre size ,but usually they dont bother this and just quick visual inspection of condition of tyre.

for the up or down size will change many thing like fuel,ride comfort,handling,power,pickup.speedo meter reading.

If you are worry follow your Car maker recommended size best otherwise get the right people to do the conversion for you. [thumbsup]

if u change your tyre diameter , different in actual speed reading, hitting the fenders is only the minor problem that might happen,

different in speed reading confirm.

hitting fender depend on cars.

well... there is no way my fender is even going to smell my tyre. as you can see, they are like worlds apart from each other [laugh]

now someone look me in the eyes and tell me my tyres are nicely sized for that wheel arch so that i can sleep well tonight. [bigcry]

Done~

Previously:

IMG_0684.jpg

Now, rims and lowered:

IMG_0762.jpg

Edited by Zyrofillica