Need comment on Ford Focus

Roh96

Supercharged

How the maintenance for the FOCUS after 5 or 6 year of driving ? I was intending to get a 06/07 model, the dealer advice me not to get the car, always need to send workshoop.

nonsense la......i spend so little money doing regular maintenance. break downs i also cannot think of much during my 4 years of owning foucs.

i still remember a tyre workshop guy also tell me my ford need high maintenace. i disregard his comments.

after few years of driving it is still spending me little on maintenance and breakdown.

↡ Advertisement

(edited)

I just changed my MkI focus to the new Mk3 focus. The MKI served me very well. Never broke down. only battery flat once before.

It was a great drive, pickup a big slow in the beginning like most 1.6L, but once you get used to it, overtaking is no problem. Had no issue going fast. really stable.

Love to corner, and with the steering you have confidence to take it at high speeds.

Great Car, but COE almost up. FC is not so good, maybe because fun to drive, you tend to be heavy foot.

Edited by Samshio

I used to drive a 1.4 3dr manual focus.

Handling was sweet and can overtake in the corners and turns easily. (see how you want to play.)

Straight line and off the traffic lights.... do not bother, you will be eaten alive.

Aircon is not that power compared to jap. I'm not sure why.

Maintenance is the norm. change EO every 10k. Then the usual wear and tear items like brake pads and rotors and shocks and such are common items to be replaced after certain milage. Usually each servicing at agent would be about $300 plus minus. Going to external workshop will definately be cheaper.

Summary... will I get another Ford Focus?

Yes, and I already have... I switched from a normal focus to another focus. :)

For the amount of $ I paid. I think I got a good deal compared to if I got another brand which I would have to pay more to get what I have currently.

Will I look at Ford in the future again? Yes is the answer depending on the price.

Well... depends if you are a badge whore. Ford is a very value for $ kind of car.

Take a test drive, have a feel of the car, features the car comes with compared to other more expensive brands and you will know what I mean.

Supercharged

I just changed my MkI focus to the new Mk3 focus. The MKI served me very well. Never broke down. only battery flat once before.

It was a great drive, pickup a big slow in the beginning like most 1.6L, but once you get used to it, overtaking is no problem. Had no issue going fast. really stable.

Love to corner, and with the steering you have confidence to take it at high speeds.

Great Car, but COE almost up. FC is not so good, maybe because fun to drive, you tend to be heavy foot.

yep, i think focus is the best car tuned for cornering i have driven so far. no joke about it.

of course for someone with heavy right foot, i do have hoped the pick up is a little bit better but still cannot complain with such a low price i paid for the car [;)]

How the maintenance for the FOCUS after 5 or 6 year of driving ? I was intending to get a 06/07 model, the dealer advice me not to get the car, always need to send workshoop.

Think these dealers don't know just anyhow whack. Does he have the car in stock? If he has, I bet he wouldn't say this. He probably was trying to convince you to get a jap ride instead.

The only problem which the Focus gave us was an alternator issue. Had to replace it prematurely at under 40k, but that was covered under the 5 years agent warranty. Servicing was as per normal. Was even able to do alternate interval servicing and warranty was still honoured. Not sure about current times though.

Supercharged

Think these dealers don't know just anyhow whack. Does he have the car in stock? If he has, I bet he wouldn't say this. He probably was trying to convince you to get a jap ride instead.

The only problem which the Focus gave us was an alternator issue. Had to replace it prematurely at under 40k, but that was covered under the 5 years agent warranty. Servicing was as per normal. Was even able to do alternate interval servicing and warranty was still honoured. Not sure about current times though.

hey brother, you drove a focus and now driving a saab? that makes us the same :D

for my focus, i didn't even have the break down in alternator nor the power window motor. call it luck or what, but at least there are durable focuses around

hey brother, you drove a focus and now driving a saab? that makes us the same :D

for my focus, i didn't even have the break down in alternator nor the power window motor. call it luck or what, but at least there are durable focuses around

Hi brother, cheers!

I guess our case was a one-off incident. The service centre people were also quite surprised. Enjoyed the car very much. Till now, whenever a fully kitted focus with the 5 spoke ford rims go past, I would still take a second look.

We also had a the pre-FL current mondeo for a while. Great handling but not as good as the focus. Took it up to cameron highlands and I could feel the body of the car around the bends. But given its size, it was considered a gem already.

Supercharged

Hi brother, cheers!

I guess our case was a one-off incident. The service centre people were also quite surprised. Enjoyed the car very much. Till now, whenever a fully kitted focus with the 5 spoke ford rims go past, I would still take a second look.

We also had a the pre-FL current mondeo for a while. Great handling but not as good as the focus. Took it up to cameron highlands and I could feel the body of the car around the bends. But given its size, it was considered a gem already.

haha yep.....the focus didn't win the COTY award for nothing [;)] if there is a more powerful ford with decent cabin space, i gladly give it a try in my next car ownership [;)]

(edited)

Considering the new Focus too. Have you collected your new ride? Can share on the improvements over the previous model?

been driving for 1wk+. still run in period. haven't wack

Compared to mk1 ?

Pros :

quieter, more comfortable, less stiff suspension. faster pickup slightly. much better interior. More gadgets like voice control, auto headlights, etc. Better FC

Cons:

Dual clutch needs some getting used too. Steering is light at low speed, bit heavier at higher speed. Electric steering not as nice feel as hydralic.

Summary, not as good a driver's car, more comfortable and nicer for the passengers. :)

Edited by Samshio

haha yep.....the focus didn't win the COTY award for nothing [;)] if there is a more powerful ford with decent cabin space, i gladly give it a try in my next car ownership [;)]

Focus ST for you sir?

Neutral Newbie

I was driving the MK2 hatch for five years... did the major overhaul item like suspension, timing belt and water pump and the car is still as good... a bit aged after 140k, but still good. Passed it to the wife who loves it more than her previous Mit i. For me, I loved the ride so much that I bought an used 09 Focus ST that had ridiculously low mileage of 2.4k after 2 years, verified by regent motors :)

Supercharged

I was driving the MK2 hatch for five years... did the major overhaul item like suspension, timing belt and water pump and the car is still as good... a bit aged after 140k, but still good. Passed it to the wife who loves it more than her previous Mit i. For me, I loved the ride so much that I bought an used 09 Focus ST that had ridiculously low mileage of 2.4k after 2 years, verified by regent motors :)

hehe did you go fcs meetup before? we may have met

yes, i kind of regretted selling my focus [;)]

Glad to see quite a numbers of current & ex-Focus members around this forum [wave]

though it sure pale compared to other more popular make...

Till date i also can't understand why Focus or Ford as a whole is so under-rated here in S'pore compared to Europe & US? Really such poor brand image?

My experience of the 4 yrs plus ownership of Focus was good too [thumbsup] ... stable, steady & un-match corning & handling experience. Only gripes are with the slow pickup, less than desirable FC & of course barely getting 1k above the scrape value when i sold it off. In term of maintenance, it really did't give me too much pblms as far as i can remember...

I'm still faithful to the Ford brand though... with it's little brother the Fiesta :D

Still maintain is overall excellent drive... the steering lighter though w the electric assist but I'm fine w that.

Of course, I would wish for better pickup(still only 4 speed) & better FC... but for the price when I got it during it's launch 3 yrs back... nothing to complain about.

Used to own a 2006 mark 2 ford focus. Bloody reliable car and good handling! onl issue is the power. Other than its one hell of a reliable car. Parts can be bought from hexing at very good prices [laugh]. Change out at any workshop with ease as well.

Used to own a 2006 mark 2 ford focus. Bloody reliable car and good handling! onl issue is the power. Other than its one hell of a reliable car. Parts can be bought from hexing at very good prices [laugh]. Change out at any workshop with ease as well.

Buy 2nd hand, dont buy new - low resale value for this model so its worth it. If many people buy, resale value would be higher........under-rated I guess.

↡ Advertisement