Revving on new car

Hllow84

Hi guys just a quick question. Is it not recommended to rev hard on new car as the parts are still new? What is a comfortable rpm level to keep and until what mileage? I heard try not to go above 2.5K (or was it 4.5k) for the first 200km. Thanks!

Edited by Hllow84
↡ Advertisement

normally, the engine is already factory run in. its the brake and the tires that you need to take care of.

not all. I know the mazdas are. please don't anyhow quote unless you are very sure.

I dont think that applies to new cars nowadays....besides how much can you rev? 5k from every traffic junction? Not to worry the dealer who drives your car from the delivery truck might have revved the car quite a few times

What is your car? Most of the japanese cars I drove recommend 2.5 k till first service~

Just got my Cooper (normal version) yesterday. I remember the person told me something about don't rev too hard for the few ??? k, but I just can't remember the exact number. Maybe I should call him back and check it out.

Also a side question, which petrol should I go for? The manual says 91-98 and I am being recommended of 95. By the way all 3 petrol brands (shell, SPC, esso, is there any more?) are equivalent right? Or any of it are actually better?

Thanks in advance for the advice :)

Just got my Cooper (normal version) yesterday. I remember the person told me something about don't rev too hard for the few ??? k, but I just can't remember the exact number. Maybe I should call him back and check it out.

Also a side question, which petrol should I go for? The manual says 91-98 and I am being recommended of 95. By the way all 3 petrol brands (shell, SPC, esso, is there any more?) are equivalent right? Or any of it are actually better?

Thanks in advance for the advice :)

Congrats bro on your new car! Bit suprising that Cooper is allowed to pump 91 too? Is it not turbo version? In my opinion, all Petroleum companies should be same even though I pump ESSO for the simple reason that it is next to my home. Some have reservations on SPC. I prefer to pump 98 all the time even though my manual recommends 95 as kms I cover is not very high for me.

My jazz I did the high rev treatment

I drive easy for the first 1000km, careful not to rev it over 3k.

But after the first oil change, it's rev to 6k redline every time I drive my car.

So far so good. Engine is smooth. Using ron92 petrol.

Why worry when u are going to change car after three years?

So more car got 5 year warranty on parts and engine.

Treat the car so good....benefit the next buyer only.

Congrats bro on your new car! Bit suprising that Cooper is allowed to pump 91 too? Is it not turbo version? In my opinion, all Petroleum companies should be same even though I pump ESSO for the simple reason that it is next to my home. Some have reservations on SPC. I prefer to pump 98 all the time even though my manual recommends 95 as kms I cover is not very high for me.

Thanks bro! Really have a lot to learn and glad to be in this forum :)

Yea its a normal version not the S version. There is an Esso near to my house too :) Think I will try that out first.

I dont think that applies to new cars nowadays....besides how much can you rev? 5k from every traffic junction? Not to worry the dealer who drives your car from the delivery truck might have revved the car quite a few times

True, i think the car already got revved and hard drive by those people who drives your car from the delivery truck or to install things on the car.

What is your car? Most of the japanese cars I drove recommend 2.5 k till first service~

I would still maintain traditional running-in if I get a new car.

It also gives me time to learn and get familiar with the new ride.

Hi guys just a quick question. Is it not recommended to rev hard on new car as the parts are still new? What is a comfortable rpm level to keep and until what mileage? I heard try not to go above 2.5K (or was it 4.5k) for the first 200km. Thanks!

Read your owner's manual for maximum recommended engine speed during break-in period. Remember to vary you engine speed and not held at constant speed as varying your engine speed allow engine part to be loaded with some pressure, this aid the mating process of engine parts. Hope this helps.