Tyres pressure for 225/45/R17

AL5509

Agent recommends 250kpa when tires are cold and +30kpa more when hot. So i usually pump 280kpa for this size

Me too... 270kpa on all 4 tires... been doing that for 4 yrs plus and driven up to Genting and back..

↡ Advertisement

ya, I heard that e side-wall of this tyres are soft too.

So increase e tyres pressue will help 'harden'/stengthen e side wall?

hhmm 270? Sound alot from what recommended.

Not doubting your knowledge on this just 'shocked' as do not know it should be so much than expected.

Ok i think i better clarify. When i was using 225/45/17 on my Korean car, i use to pump 240 for all 4 tires. But since I started driving my Conti car with the same profile tires of 225/45/17, I pumped 270 for all 4 tires. Was told by other conti car owners to pump 270 instead of the usual 240. Sounds ridiculous but it has been working well. FC still good also.

Edited by Dh15

Yah. Check the sticker on the car. Usually on the driver side door frame or behind fuel pump cover

Try those pressure. If it feels too soft, then increase/decrease as desired. Just do not pump below the minimum recommended by tyre shop

btw i pump 270 for my tyres when car for unladen is ard 220. Is really a personal preference.

Neutral Newbie

Ohh it really seem like pumping more is quite ok.

And have quite a few postive comments.

Maybe I should enquire.

Based on this profile: 225/45/r17, what is the max tyre's pressure?

Not crossing 270 I assume.

max pressure is indicated on the sidewall of the tyre but should not pump to that pressure. the pressure in the tyre increase when the tyre heats up when the car moves. if u pump to the max allowed by the tyre, u're risking the integrity of the tyre. no safe

use the recommended pressure by your car. the pressure is really dependent on the weight of your ride and ur preference for comfort. higher pressure = lower comfort since u'll feel the bumps more but shd improve ur FC. if u pump high. have to watch out for overinflation. u can tell when ur tyre wears unevenly. i.e. central portion wear faster then sides

previously, i try a pressure at each full tank. from there decide which one suits my preference.

have fun!

like you i tot the sticker on car door is best reference but let me tell you my story

i recently got a 4 yr old suzuki APV (quite rare) and sticker reads normal load 220/240 kpa front/rear full load (can seat 7 -8 pax) 240/300 kpa. wow 300kpa so i ask champion motor and you know wat the "technical" guy tells me he don't dare try 300 psi and i was like WTF

if any bro got a good advise pls respond thanks

Neutral Newbie

like you i tot the sticker on car door is best reference but let me tell you my story

i recently got a 4 yr old suzuki APV (quite rare) and sticker reads normal load 220/240 kpa front/rear full load (can seat 7 -8 pax) 240/300 kpa. wow 300kpa so i ask champion motor and you know wat the "technical" guy tells me he don't dare try 300 psi and i was like WTF

if any bro got a good advise pls respond thanks

Sorry bro, is ur tyres profile 225/45/r17?

Coz think it gd to make known of that some those experts here can advise.

Likewise as far as I know e sticker by e door indcated e stock tyres size (assuming) as mentioned in e earlier/start up thread.

Mine was like for 15inches (stock rim) but I had change it to 17inches so do not know should that pressure be followed through which I doubts so.

So you have been doing things blindly without knowing why?

At minimum, the pressure must be able to support the weight of the car.

And to determine whether the pressure is optimal, you'll need to observe the tyre wear during rotation. It's analagous to seeing the wear of the soles of our shoes where we can tell whether the wearer of the shoes is flat footed or not.

Ok i think i better clarify. When i was using 225/45/17 on my Korean car, i use to pump 240 for all 4 tires. But since I started driving my Conti car with the same profile tires of 225/45/17, I pumped 270 for all 4 tires. Was told by other conti car owners to pump 270 instead of the usual 240. Sounds ridiculous but it has been working well. FC still good also.

I believe your load rating is higher than 87? Probably only RE-070, S-0001 will match your needs. I'm not sure whether RE-11 will have a suitable range for you, need to check with your tyre shop.

Considering the RE-11 or S-001,Bridgestone got too many models,very confused.

I wonder do you really read the relevant info given to you in this thread? Already told u about the pressure used by the R, but maybe you don't get it.

Sorry bro, is ur tyres profile 225/45/r17?

Coz think it gd to make known of that some those experts here can advise.

Likewise as far as I know e sticker by e door indcated e stock tyres size (assuming) as mentioned in e earlier/start up thread.

Mine was like for 15inches (stock rim) but I had change it to 17inches so do not know should that pressure be followed through which I doubts so.

Hi sry bros, had to dig up this post again for the same tyre profile i had 225/45/r17 running on Michelin Sport 5 on lancer cs3

very bumpy/boaty ride even after changing shock absorbers

currently running on PSI 26 which is comfortable but not recommended by workshop

Seek any advice! 

On 3/10/2023 at 11:32 AM, Senny said:

Hi sry bros, had to dig up this post again for the same tyre profile i had 225/45/r17 running on Michelin Sport 5 on lancer cs3

very bumpy/boaty ride even after changing shock absorbers

currently running on PSI 26 which is comfortable but not recommended by workshop

Seek any advice! 

u mention  bumpy/boaty.
then u mention comfortable

so which is which . lol

low profile for cs3 ( car so light)  ,26 psi will be bumpy over uneven road, cannot help 1. Nothing to do with absorber.

On 3/10/2023 at 11:51 AM, Beregond said:

u mention  bumpy/boaty.
then u mention comfortable

so which is which . lol

low profile for cs3 ( car so light)  ,26 psi will be bumpy over uneven road, cannot help 1. Nothing to do with absorber.

sry for my typo posting, tyre PSI 26 is the most 'comfortable' PSI but not so recommended by workshop, so need to find out anyone go lower than 26 PSI?

Or is there any other ways to make the ride more "comfortable"? tried the TTC Urethane Cushion Buffer and got worst 😅 for this PS5 tyres

bumpy/boaty ride is something i find it a headache when travelling up north and even on SG roads 😅

Edited by Senny
  • Praise 1

Twincharged
On 3/10/2023 at 1:31 PM, Senny said:

sry for my typo posting, tyre PSI 26 is the most 'comfortable' PSI but not so recommended by workshop, so need to find out anyone go lower than 26 PSI?

Or is there any other ways to make the ride more "comfortable"? tried the TTC Urethane Cushion Buffer and got worst 😅 for this PS5 tyres

bumpy/boaty ride is something i find it a headache when travelling up north and even on SG roads 😅

change to stock shocks and springs. tire should be around 30-33psi

• Praise 1

Instead of decreasing tyre pressure, why not follow what factory said

For my Mini, reducing tyre pressure makes the ride uncomfortable.  Too much vertical movement.

Instead of 38psi, it is pumped to 42psi.

Edited by inlinesix