Petrol switching

Hllow84

Not sure if this has been ask before.

Is it ok to switch between petrol brand constantly? Anything that I should take note of (eg pump the new brand only when the tank is near empty etc)? Still trying to see if there is any significant difference between the few brands available to us.

Also is it advisable to stick to a certain grade of petrol constantly? Is it okay to mix pumping different grade without any problem as long it fell within the car drinkable range? The car manual only states that it can drink 91-98 RON and sales person recommended anything above 93 RON. With the mixture of results I am also trying out different grade.

But well, I don't expect that I could actually feel any differences cos I am really new to driving but my curiosity beats me to that.

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

↡ Advertisement

Personally...I find certain petrol suits different cars.

Eg for me...

WRX - Caltex 98

Picnic - Works well with Esso/Mobil

E34 BMW 525i - Shell 98 but not V-Power

Civic - BP (back then still around) and Shell 98 (cos BP balek kampong)

Pump 2 tank of every brand and see how is it...power and FC.

For the above...its a compromise between FC and power.

For FC, I can safely rely on the car CPU display right? Or is there any other way you guys check on the car FC?

And for power, I can just take note of any difference in car acceleration and smoothness in gear changes right?

If your car can use 92ron, you can mix and match all the different brand and grade any old how you like.

You can even take a metal can, and pump one litters per grade at all the four different brand station.

You car will perform equally well.

To extend it further, you can also take a engine oils bottle, and go around the different workshop, to collect free unfinished carengine oil, to make up to four liters and do your own engine oils change.

Your car will perform equally well.

Zero harm to mechanical parts, as the engine is a dead piece of metal, that has no feelings and reaction to the existing fuel and engine oil on the market.

Try it....to satisfy your itchy urge to know the truth.

People gain knowledge when they ask and experiement it by themselves.

Don't worry so much....when you send in your rolex watch for servicing, do you check what oil and grade the service center use?

Ignorance is bliss.

But if there is an itch to know....then try it yourself and learn by trial.

Agree... I drive a Swift with a M15A engine. When I bought it, the previous owner used 98 of some brand, I topped up to full (at 1/2 tank) to Shell 95, then a 1/4 to 3/4 tank of Levo 95, topped up a 1/2 to full of shell 95, then subsequently 1/4 to full of Levo 92 (that's after I did checks that it could take any petrol >90), stuck to levo 92 from then on.

No discernible side effects, FC still hovers between 12-13 km/l... not bad for a 2005 ride.

Seriously, till today I still don't understand why people are so concerned about something happening to their rides when they switch petrol brands. Petrol grades maybe can still be accepted.

When you car moves out of the assembly line in the factory, we also don't know what petrol brand and grade they pump in, and other than performance cars, I doubt they'll pump in top grade petrol at all. Mixing different brands of petrol will not kill your car. Petrol is still petrol and whichever station you visit, the fuel all meets the base ISO standards. The rest of the so-called "detergent" are all addictives where with or without your car still moves.

Which is the case - car manufacturers build their cars around petrol brands or petrol brands formulate their petrol around the different car manufacturers?

Hopefully this question will clear the doubts of most people.

Seriously, till today I still don't understand why people are so concerned about something happening to their rides when they switch petrol brands. Petrol grades maybe can still be accepted.

When you car moves out of the assembly line in the factory, we also don't know what petrol brand and grade they pump in, and other than performance cars, I doubt they'll pump in top grade petrol at all. Mixing different brands of petrol will not kill your car. Petrol is still petrol and whichever station you visit, the fuel all meets the base ISO standards. The rest of the so-called "detergent" are all addictives where with or without your car still moves.

Which is the case - car manufacturers build their cars around petrol brands or petrol brands formulate their petrol around the different car manufacturers?

Hopefully this question will clear the doubts of most people.

if thats the case, can tell me why my car feels sluggish with SPC 98 (levo and non levo) compared to esso 98?

if thats the case, can tell me why my car feels sluggish with SPC 98 (levo and non levo) compared to esso 98?

My car feel to sluggish and noisy when pump SPC LEVO 98 but better mileage. ESSO 98 quiet and powerful. Mileage reasonable. Different around another 20-30km

Edited by Ken1898

Sluggish can have a lot of reasons other than petrol.

What I had meant was, all the base fuel is the same irregardless which brand you pump. How many pumps had you tried or just once? Have you compared with the brand of petrol your car is using in the country of manufacture?

My car did feel sluggish when I switched from Cow to SPC, but after 2 pumps, everything is back to normal, it could also be your car adjusting to the new fuel that has a different composition of addictives.

Another occasion after I changed my close to 2 year old battery, the car was smoother.

I tried all brands of petrol for my car, none makes a difference, even from 95 downgrade to 92. Miliage and power wise is still the same.

So now, it's my wallet that counts even though I have petrol allowances.

Might as well support the cheaper brand so that it can continue to substain offering cheaper petrol for all.

Sluggish can have a lot of reasons other than petrol.

What I had meant was, all the base fuel is the same irregardless which brand you pump. How many pumps had you tried or just once? Have you compared with the brand of petrol your car is using in the country of manufacture?

My car did feel sluggish when I switched from Cow to SPC, but after 2 pumps, everything is back to normal, it could also be your car adjusting to the new fuel that has a different composition of addictives.

Another occasion after I changed my close to 2 year old battery, the car was smoother.

I tried all brands of petrol for my car, none makes a difference, even from 95 downgrade to 92. Miliage and power wise is still the same.

So now, it's my wallet that counts even though I have petrol allowances.

Might as well support the cheaper brand so that it can continue to substain offering cheaper petrol for all.

i did 2 tanks of each.

before finding out that shell vpower suits best for my car with increased mileage and performance

Neutral Newbie

The above statement is incorrect!

i was told to pump 95. tried 98 and vpower like abt the same. Maybe i should try 92 one day.

↡ Advertisement