Courses for security guard

Fishy

I got a relative here who has been jobless for quite a while and decided to join the security industry as a security guard. He only has 3 Nlevel passes and never been in the industry. He was told by some security companies that he needed to attend some WSQ courses and I managed to help him locate a list of providers

http://app2.wda.gov.sg/wsq/Contents/conten...id=983&Pg=3

Issue here is today is a sunday, the offices are closed. Hes got a lot of queries but i cannot locate them on the net.

Any kind souls here knows roughly how much is the course and how many days is the course? is it funded 100% by govt or is it cofunded by the security company and the government? Thanks a lot for whatever information you can provide,

↡ Advertisement

why dont your relative consider joining certis police? They got a joining fee of a few K so some extra money in the pocket........

I got a relative here who has been jobless for quite a while and decided to join the security industry as a security guard. He only has 3 Nlevel passes and never been in the industry. He was told by some security companies that he needed to attend some WSQ courses and I managed to help him locate a list of providers

http://app2.wda.gov.sg/wsq/Contents/conten...id=983&Pg=3

Issue here is today is a sunday, the offices are closed. Hes got a lot of queries but i cannot locate them on the net.

Any kind souls here knows roughly how much is the course and how many days is the course? is it funded 100% by govt or is it cofunded by the security company and the government? Thanks a lot for whatever information you can provide,

just ask him to join those larger security company like chubb n the company will send him for the course...

For N level, this is consider very very qualified already and if he is a Singapore Citizen, it's like a big bonus. It's very hard to find Local in the security inductries with N level and above.

Like other's have suggested, sign up CISCO for proper career advancement as a Armed Protection Officer. They will provide the required trainings.

On a separate note, WDA courses are subsidised up to 80%.

Putting aside weather pple care or not, the bottom line is the most important.

Some private firms are known to hold back, or not pay $$$.

Supercharged

there is a bond when you sign up with certis, something which puts him off.

He's only N level holder, and he still want to be choosy??? A company who is still willing to hire him and pay bond $$ to him. He should be laughing till teeth drop.

What is wrong with a bond?

No wonder govt says locals are too choosy in jobs and we have to turn to FTs. Sad......

I can see that your relative is likely a job hopper, not serious about holding a job for long term......

There are two category in Security industry. Armed and Non Armed. Only two Security company recruits armed guards that is Certis Cisco and Aetos. If I am not wrong, those armed guards must go under police trainning. Physically must be fit than they will employ u. For non armed guards u hv to go for a course organized by WSQ after you hv passed than SIRD will issue u a Security license so that u are allowed to work as Security guards.

Edited by Tonyg

You are absolutely correct on this.

U familiar with this industry too?

I have a combination of Armed guards and unarmed guards in my team.

I find that there are many rooms for improvement with those private security agencies. most common feedback are human resource problems, such as frequent staff turnaround, non payment of salary, morale problem due to overlapped shift coverage, rampant MC problems.

But less of problem when CISCO started to provide unarmed guards. So we get all from them. Not perfect situation, but less problem or headache for facility owner.

Wow, nowadays want to be security guard also so diificult??? Still must attend courses??? In 1995, when I response to an ad to be a security guard, today go interview, next day start work liao. Zero experience and just listen to what the older guards say.

Pay was S$40 per 12hr shift. Only two shifts, nite and day, start from 7am to 7pm or 7pm to 7am. Every week get cash payment from Ops Manager.

It was an easy job. Was posted to a factory for day shift and skin centre for nite shift. At factory, just press button for vehicles coming in and out + record their vehicle number. No patrolling required. At skin centre, just sit at the building main entrance all nite long and go for hourly 10min patrol rounds.

The Ops manager told me, anything happen just call police n him. Dont need to confront anyone n act hero.

Worked for two years with them.

He's only N level holder, and he still want to be choosy??? A company who is still willing to hire him and pay bond $$ to him. He should be laughing till teeth drop.

What is wrong with a bond?

No wonder govt says locals are too choosy in jobs and we have to turn to FTs. Sad......

I can see that your relative is likely a job hopper, not serious about holding a job for long term......

well, u might be right about him being choosy but hey, everyone wants a comfy job too :)

You are absolutely correct on this.

U familiar with this industry too?

I have a combination of Armed guards and unarmed guards in my team.

I find that there are many rooms for improvement with those private security agencies. most common feedback are human resource problems, such as frequent staff turnaround, non payment of salary, morale problem due to overlapped shift coverage, rampant MC problems.

But less of problem when CISCO started to provide unarmed guards. So we get all from them. Not perfect situation, but less problem or headache for facility owner.

I havent kept in touch with him so i am unsure if he has attended the course. last update was he went to a company, they told him they will hire him only if he has e cert. so he tried to get in touch with 1 of the WSQ provider but on the website provided, the details of the course and fees are not available. do u know e e details?

Supercharged

well, u might be right about him being choosy but hey, everyone wants a comfy job too :)

Yeh everyone wants a comfy job.

But with N levels, what kind of comfy jobs you can find?!

Managing expectations....

Yeh everyone wants a comfy job.

But with N levels, what kind of comfy jobs you can find?!

Managing expectations....

haha just like what my friend A told another friend B....

A ask him to try this and try that job.... B say paiseh leh wait ppl see (those low level job)

A shouted at B... 没有钱 in pocket is true paiseh.... whats wrong with these jobs?

B diam diam..

↡ Advertisement