Undoing community bonding

Vulcann

A mind boggling article from a resident.

Our beloved Yam-eh also got dragged in... [:(]

From ST Forum:

http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/...ory_722690.html

Published on Oct 13, 2011

LAST Saturday, a friend invited me to an event organised by the People's Association (PA) at Cheng San Community Club.

The ticket cost $12 per person, and a high-tea buffet was included. In attendance were Ang Mo Kio GRC MP Ang Hin Kee and PA chief executive director Yam Ah Mee.

While I appreciate the efforts of the PA and community clubs in organising such community-bonding events, it left me with reservations.

I was flabbergasted to discover that the organising committee, judges, sponsors and other VIPs enjoyed their high-tea in a closed air-conditioned room while the rest of the guests had theirs outside under a tent.

Why was there a 'divide' for an occasion aimed at community bonding?

On the same day, across the road from the PA event, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong was officiating at an event marking the completion of an upgrading programme.

According to press reports, he emphasised that the Government was determined to improve citizens' lives, and this included community bonding.

What happened was unfortunate because the grassroots leaders who organised the community-bonding event were undoing what the Government is trying to achieve.

Lum Yan Meng

↡ Advertisement

Well, if that complainant were to joint the 'Grassroot' rank of leaders, he will be sitting in the air-con hall ....... [cool]

consider himself lucky as event organised by PA, Aljunied resident wait until neck long long also don't have ....... :ph34r:

Well, if that complainant were to joint the 'Grassroot' rank of leaders, he will be sitting in the air-con hall ....... [cool]

consider himself lucky as event organised by PA, Aljunied resident wait until neck long long also don't have ....... :ph34r:

If what this chap mentioned was true, then it is really another boo boo that "should not happen but it did."

Someone from PA or the MP himself will definitely come out to defend themselves & they better have a good explanation.

Cheng San? Wasn't this location experienced very strong oppo support a few GEs back?

Hmmm...

Read very very very very carefully.

LHL is reported as emphasising that "the Government was determined to improve citizens' lives, and this included community bonding."

Nowhere is it stated that the MP must participate in the bonding. In fact, strictly if they don't live in their ward, they are not part of the community. Community bonding means bonding amongst those who live in the same area. By leaving residents alone under the tent, they are actually facilitating bonding!

Read very very very very carefully.

LHL is reported as emphasising that "the Government was determined to improve citizens' lives, and this included community bonding."

Nowhere is it stated that the MP must participate in the bonding. In fact, strictly if they don't live in their ward, they are not part of the community. Community bonding means bonding amongst those who live in the same area. By leaving residents alone under the tent, they are actually facilitating bonding!

Psst... You worked for the authorities?

Your last sentence really [thumbsup]

[laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

Naive ..just like a kid..Bonding? how much is the residents' mthly salary...u think they want to bond with u...

maybe wait about 4.75 yrs later...they will "bond" with u then

From ST Forum:

LAST Saturday, a friend invited me to an event organised by the People's Association (PA) at Cheng San Community Club.

The ticket cost $12 per person, and a high-tea buffet was included. In attendance were Ang Mo Kio GRC MP Ang Hin Kee and PA chief executive director Yam Ah Mee.

While I appreciate the efforts of the PA and community clubs in organising such community-bonding events, it left me with reservations.

I was flabbergasted to discover that the organising committee, judges, sponsors and other VIPs enjoyed their high-tea in a closed air-conditioned room while the rest of the guests had theirs outside under a tent.

On the same day, across the road from the PA event, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong was officiating at an event marking the completion of an upgrading programme.

According to press reports, he emphasised that the Government was determined to improve citizens' lives, and this included community bonding.

What happened was unfortunate because the grassroots leaders who organised the community-bonding event were undoing what the Government is trying to achieve.

Lum Yan Meng

Ha-ha. Many thanks for sharing this with us. PM shoot himself on the foot. He said to MPs, to serve the resident, but himself served as the VIP indoor resident here? The 60%+ outdoor residents?

Naive ..just like a kid..Bonding? how much is the residents' mthly salary...u think they want to bond with u...

maybe wait about 4.75 yrs later...they will "bond" with u then

You got the point. You are right. When next GE comes, then mention bonding again.

(edited)

Ha-ha. Many thanks for sharing this with us. PM shoot himself on the foot. He said to MPs, to serve the resident, but himself served as the VIP indoor resident here? The 60%+ outdoor residents?

The writer said the the Cheng San MP was cooling himself in the A/C room there, not the PM who was obviously sweating himself out just across the road officiating another event [laugh]

Not something you want to read early in the morning as the PM about your subordinate and most disastrous for the MP himself.

Some how I think they will come out with a most convincing defence.

Something like the organizers have arranged that way and that it would be rude to walk out from the A/C room to mingle with the crowd or words to that effect.

We'll see.

Edited by Vulcann

Is this published in ST paper version?

To be fair to organising comm and the MP, when u do this kind of events, u have to chit-chat with sponsors or the big wigs to keep them entertained.

Just a reality of life.

Anyway i think to have special area for sponsors or VIP is acceptable at most events. But at a heartlands community event ...

Just stand separately isn't too difficult right.

You got the point. You are right. When next GE comes, then mention bonding again.

[laugh] yup...not against anyone...that's the fact of life...

no one force those residents to pay $12 for the bonding session...so dun complain...

dun pay, dun go, dun see ,dun kana "slap" and now dun complain

wauhahaha

Singapore is a society built upon meritocracy. Everyone has been given the chance to move up the pedestal. Hence don't be surprised to see someone that has moved up there being treated unequally better than you. This is life here.

Its just like MIW hosting MPS in A/C areas... but the WP MPs have to do it under the void deck...

but ultimately, this may turn into an advantage as underdogs in the next GE....

based on ground level feedback and myself from the WP GRC.... i can see that the residents are pretty much satisfied with the efforts the WP are putting in...

A letter in today's ST Forum:

Lum Yan Meng

It's interesting to see how PA is going to respond to this letter.

Edited by Hensony

actually whats the big deal w yam ah mee...ppl make fun of him cos of his voice. nothing to be proud of.

He has to take full advantage of the fact that he's the head of the people-bonding organization and must maximize his appeal, never mind being make fun of all the time.

He has since appeared in quite a few events after the GE to promote that.

Many did not know Ah Mee was once a BG in RSAF though. :o

Cannot imagine the looks on his RSAF's ex-colleagues or ex-ka kias whenever he appears to promote anything...

[laugh]

From ST Forum:

Lum Yan Meng

what type of bonding that need judges? sponsor maybe can understanding, or is this some kind of competition?

in every event organised by a sponsor, you will see a special tent for the VIP, not surprising

A letter in today's ST Forum:

Lum Yan Meng

It's interesting to see how PA is going to respond to this letter.

New bottle but old wine inside.... change soup no change medicine ......... quite dissappointing to see miw giving lip service, all as per normal.... 2016 will see them 'learn' another lesson, if ever they will learn

↡ Advertisement