Taiwan: Road Trip - Taiwan

Lammy84

Neutral Newbie

Hey guys, planning a driving holiday to taiwan end oct. anyone done a driving trip with an itenary to share? 6d 5 night thanks!

Starting city is taipei

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Hey guys, planning a driving holiday to taiwan end oct. anyone done a driving trip with an itenary to share? 6d 5 night thanks!

Starting city is taipei

I am planning to have one next year.... waiting for your field report after the trip, hehehehee :D

• Praise 2

Honestly I don't dare drive in Taipei or prolly anyway Taiwan coz firstly their mrt is very well connected (in Taipei) at least and secondly if u see how crowded the streets can be and how the bikes ride it will definitely be as stressful as driving in sg peak hrs and third being a city parking may not be easy to find since they are prolly in buildings and charges unsure... Just my view.

• Praise 2

Neutral Newbie

Yea! the public transport network in Taipei is very well connected so driving is not really helpful around the city. However if you go to Kao Hsiung and TaiChung then driving is probably the best way to go. IMO, much of the scenery is outside taipei so exploring outside is a must if you are not keen to shop. He Huan Shan and Taroko gorge is nice to drive around.

• Praise 2

Yea! the public transport network in Taipei is very well connected so driving is not really helpful around the city. However if you go to Kao Hsiung and TaiChung then driving is probably the best way to go. IMO, much of the scenery is outside taipei so exploring outside is a must if you are not keen to shop. He Huan Shan and Taroko gorge is nice to drive around.

or hitch a ride from the many xmm riding their little motorbikes?? :D

Neutral Newbie

not planning to spend all the time in taipei, planning to drive around the whole taiwan. start taipei, follow the eastern part down south, turningwest into the central cross highway towards the easten end then up back to taipei. any good plan for 6-7 days?

not planning to spend all the time in taipei, planning to drive around the whole taiwan. start taipei, follow the eastern part down south, turningwest into the central cross highway towards the easten end then up back to taipei. any good plan for 6-7 days?

our libraries or bookshops may have travel guide books on such driving trips, taiwan publishers are good in covering topics including self-drive travel plans..... [:)]

5-6 days might be too short to cover the whole of taiwan island

my tried and suggestion:

Day 1: Taipei to Puli (chocolate and honey)

Day 2: Puli to ChingQing (Hill drive and farm visit)

Day 3: ChingQing to Hua Lian to Chia Yi (famous for Ye Shi)

Day 4: Chai Yi to Alishan to YuShan to Dong Pu (most scenic drive and hot spring hotel at Dong Pu)

Day 5: Dong Pu to Shui Li to Sun Moon Lake to Puli and back to Taipei

if you are a foodie... this route will bring you to many local food not found in Taipei City

Notes:

Left Hand drive, taiwan is hilly, so the junction are not straight so might be confusing,

many bikes zoom around with no regards to direction,

Rent a car and ask them for GPS machine

locals outside taipei are very friendly, might overrun time.

• Praise 2

I will do a driving trip one day, do you think 10 to 14 days is good? (whole of taiwan) thanks

5-6 days might be too short to cover the whole of taiwan island

my tried and suggestion:

Day 1: Taipei to Puli (chocolate and honey)

Day 2: Puli to ChingQing (Hill drive and farm visit)

Day 3: ChingQing to Hua Lian to Chia Yi (famous for Ye Shi)

Day 4: Chai Yi to Alishan to YuShan to Dong Pu (most scenic drive and hot spring hotel at Dong Pu)

Day 5: Dong Pu to Shui Li to Sun Moon Lake to Puli and back to Taipei

if you are a foodie... this route will bring you to many local food not found in Taipei City

Notes:

Left Hand drive, taiwan is hilly, so the junction are not straight so might be confusing,

many bikes zoom around with no regards to direction,

Rent a car and ask them for GPS machine

locals outside taipei are very friendly, might overrun time.

I will do a driving trip one day, do you think 10 to 14 days is good? (whole of taiwan) thanks

unless u knw the road there very well think shld be ok.. but when u back to SG u will be very shag..

• Praise 2

Anyway for those driving in TW, rmber the keep right rule as they r left hand driver side(heard from my dao you), drive with care n dont turn to the wrong lane of the small road(make my mistake b4 during a 2 day F&E drive around).

Edited by Rezorn86

unless u knw the road there very well think shld be ok.. but when u back to SG u will be very shag..

ya, understand what you mean:- after a few days in a left-hand-drive country, coming back to sgp i feel 'disoriented' for a few hours on the roads... [:(]

14 days will be optimum

From Hualian - taitung - ken Ting - Heng Chun - Ping Tung - Kao Shiung - Tianan - Chai Yi -> contine on the mountain drive i mentioned earlier on.

also note at traffic laws are very strict in taiwan, espically speeding and fines are very high.

14 days will be optimum

From Hualian - taitung - ken Ting - Heng Chun - Ping Tung - Kao Shiung - Tianan - Chai Yi -> contine on the mountain drive i mentioned earlier on.

also note at traffic laws are very strict in taiwan, espically speeding and fines are very high.

sounds good!!

i have driven (but SAF landrover) from heng chun - ping tung - kao shiung - tainan.... but mainly on country b-roads, not highways [:(]

definitely looking forward to my trip in the next few years :D

Any field report from TS, planning such a trip at end of this year, Maybe Taipei to Taichung, not sure got time to go all the way to Kaohsiung? Planning a 8 days trip.

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

just to share my personal experience, for guys who intend to drive during their winter season.

I planned to drive from hualien up to taroko, then stay one night at he huan shan, then drive to taichung. but apparently hehuanshan esp the top wuling sometimes will have snow. so snow/bad weather they will close the roads. so they said if i wanted to drive, i had to have a car with snow chains. so i had to shelve my plans and book a cab at an exorbitant price (cuz my accom was booked alr)

and also they have timings for road closure also. so the cab that i booked was initial d-ing all the way cuz he had to bring us to our accom in hehuanshan and reach a certain gate before 4pm iirc if not he will have to make a big detour from taichung just to go back to hualien apparently. totally spoilt the trip, and i almost vomitted upon reaching my accom. no kidding.

but i must say the windy roads of hehuanshan and taroko gorge make for an awesome drive!

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1