Taiwan: Road Trip - Taiwan

Lammy84

Driven there quite a few times, for business and leisure. For scooters, just keep out of their bike/scooter lanes on the right and first row at the junction and stick to the speed limit. I hardly see excessive speeding, much less than US and Europe.I find that the zooming around is more common in KL and JB than in Taiwan cities, but always check your blind spots when switching lanes. A lot of XMM driving scooters.

OK. Thanks. Will take your advice to stay at the correct lane.

I had read a blog written by a Ah Mo who stay there for a few years, talking about driving there until so scary.

↡ Advertisement

I think you got your answer. Persimmons, in Hokkein, it's "ang ki" (柿子), The local farmers are full of pride in their fruits, they take the fruits from China or Japan and improve on them.

Usually, for GPS and child seat .. bring your own if available. Child seat typically not counted in luggage allowance.

Oh is it! Haha ok I bring my seat n gps then

Image a seat is jus 29$ n we rent it omg

Thanks bro!

Driven there quite a few times, for business and leisure. For scooters, just keep out of their bike/scooter lanes on the right and first row at the junction and stick to the speed limit. I hardly see excessive speeding, much less than US and Europe.I find that the zooming around is more common in KL and JB than in Taiwan cities, but always check your blind spots when switching lanes. A lot of XMM driving scooters.

Yup actually Taiwan driving quite ok, they are not as rush as Sg n Malaysia

Due to left hand drive n I'm drinking day n night so I opt for taxi for my nov trip

But I went ciji island in ks, Bo pian I also rent one scooter ride whole day with my wife n boy on board

My boy sooooo fun

Hahaha

I haven't explored the countryside in the South enough. Any recommended itinerary ? What's good on Cijin island ?

I think this the small island near KS port, can travel there by ferry with scooters onboard?

Saw this on Taiwan variety show, the island have a lot of fresh seafood.

I haven't explored the countryside in the South enough. Any recommended itinerary ? What's good on Cijin island ?

Yup bro tohto is right! Small island with alot of seafood restaurant which we tot jus take a ferry over for lunch. But while walking on the island, we saw alot of pple on scooters or bicycles n felt curious and went over to a rental stall n saw a map of cijin island

Wow quite afew places of interest like light house, fort, windmill etc with some short hike which we can't do long hikes haha

So 3 of us agreed to taking a scooter so we could explore this island which my boy loves to sit on scooter as he Nv got a chance in Sg

Pls take note, alot of families took those trishaw which I over took a family on one of this. The father was complsinig to his wife n 2 kids behind while he was paddling , it's very tiring!!!

I overtook n smile at them saying scooter no effort, the father kept knodding his head hahaha

Fun day a lastly stop at the beach while my boy is playing with water looking at others surfing

Nice island to pass a day

Return back from Taiwan a few days ago. My road trip with the rental car to Cingjing & Hehuanshan was FUN FUN FUN.

The drive was very easy and enjoyable. Driving to the peak of Hehuanshan and Wuling was relative easy. Only downside is my rental 1.8L Altis feel underpower going up the slope, maybe due to lack of O2.

The view up at Hehuanshan was beautiful. Temperature was also cold (almost close to freezing point) especially with the strong wind.

I post some of the photo taken up the peak and others on the route taken by my daughter since I was driving.

The last photo is the view from our minsu balcony.

post-29292-0-12275000-1388230468_thumb.jpg

post-29292-0-76618400-1388230477_thumb.jpg

post-29292-0-99040000-1388230491_thumb.jpg

post-29292-0-24378200-1388230605_thumb.jpg

post-29292-0-69433500-1388230615_thumb.jpg

post-29292-0-32548200-1388230632_thumb.jpg

post-29292-0-51706400-1388230645_thumb.jpg

post-29292-0-76632400-1388230882_thumb.jpg

post-29292-0-47849200-1388230981_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tohto
  • Praise 5

Last photo should be " old England hotel?? Nice place to take photo n high tea!

Really cute to do a snowman on the bonnet hahaha

Planning to do this Dec again!

quote name="Tohto" post="5064564" timestamp="1388230430"]

Return back from Taiwan a few days ago. My road trip with the rental car to Cingjing & Hehuanshan was FUN FUN FUN.

The drive was very easy and enjoyable. Driving to the peak of Hehuanshan and Wuling was relative easy. Only downside is my rental 1.8L Altis feel underpower going up the slope, maybe due to lack of O2.

The view up at Hehuanshan was beautiful. Temperature was also cold (almost close to freezing point) especially with the strong wind.

I post some of the photo taken up the peak and others on the route taken by my daughter since I was driving.

For B Road lover, you can take route 11 from Taitung back to Hualian. Coastal Road

Good winding road and some hill climb and descent. very few traffic lights can you can really blast all the way.

For Yilan to Hualien,

personally i find the road quite boring, too many road works and road closure.

post-18567-0-13872600-1405669079_thumb.jpg

post-18567-0-44897600-1405669110_thumb.jpg

• Praise 4

Turbocharged

Thanks for sharing!! [thumbsup]

Thinking of going to HuaLian. What are the must see places there? Where a good place for hot springs?

Turbocharged

I'm planning another trip to Taiwan in Nov this year. This time, I'll make up whatever i missed the other time, driving the central cross island highway from Cingjing to Hualien, and then probably up to Jiufen and return the car at Taipei

I'm planning another trip to Taiwan in Nov this year. This time, I'll make up whatever i missed the other time, driving the central cross island highway from Cingjing to Hualien, and then probably up to Jiufen and return the car at Taipei

I just booked ticket for end Nov as well, considering driving but we have 4 adults and 3 children so will need a 7 seaters.

What do I need? Int'l driving licence (from AAS)?

Anyone want to share their experience on renting cars in Taiwan? particularly from Taoyuan International airport?

• Praise 1

I just booked ticket for end Nov as well, considering driving but we have 4 adults and 3 children so will need a 7 seaters.

What do I need? Int'l driving licence (from AAS)?

Anyone want to share their experience on renting cars in Taiwan? particularly from Taoyuan International airport?

I got my car at below rental company. Their car are all Toyota.

I rented a Altis 1.8L last Dec, it was almost brand new. Only 1000km+ on the Odometer.

https://www.easyrent.com.tw/English/Car_Rentals.html

You will enjoy driving there, especially at the countyside road..

They have a 8 seater, which will be perfect for you.

https://www.easyrent.com.tw/English/Rental_Rates.html

Edited by Tohto

Hmm, thumbs up to you bro!

Damn y I drove in Ang mo country but nv tot of drive trip in Taiwan???

And if I'm not wrong these yrs Taiwan changing to right hand so should be easier for us to get use Liao

Anyway it's a holiday

Drive slow drive safe

:D:D Kidding

you thought so easy to change LHD to RHD, all the road markings, signals need to re-do, all vehicles have to be modified, and RHD is fewness on the world, how can Taiwan change?

I think Singapore possible to change RHD to LHD [thumbsup]

I am going in mid Nov for 5 nights (Cingjing and Taipei).

At first, plan was to hire a driver when out of Taipei and using public transport while in Taipei. Seems ok and many people have done it this way.

Later, thought why not do a self drive. Granted it's my first time doing LHD but some preparation, gps, google maps, I believe it should turn out fine. Furthermore, this makes me much more keen on the trip.

Probably overkill, but will also be renting a SUV for a different experience.

• Praise 1

At first, plan was to hire a driver when out of Taipei and using public transport while in Taipei. Seems ok and many people have done it this way.
Later, thought why not do a self drive. Granted it's my first time doing LHD but some preparation, gps, google maps, I believe it should turn out fine. Furthermore, this makes me much more keen on the trip.

Getting a rental car to travel around Cingjing is definitely more fun than arranging for a driver or transport. You will have full flexibilty.

When I was there last Dec, I change my plan to go up HeHuanShan one day earlier after heard the it was snowing the previous night. With a car, I can also travel easily to some good restaurant that was recommended there.

Whether a SUV is necessary all depends on your personal preference and how many person you have.

Personally I think not necessary because the road there in CingJing are all in good condition and saloon will have a better handling when drive in winding mountain road.

A bigger CC car will be good as I found my rental Altis 1.8L understand power when driving on the mountain.

Edited by Tohto

Getting a rental car to travel around Cingjing is definitely more fun than arranging for a driver or transport. You will have full flexibilty.

When I was there last Dec, I change my plan to go up HeHuanShan one day earlier after heard the it was snowing the previous night. With a car, I can also travel easily to some good restaurant that was recommended there.

Whether a SUV is necessary all depends on your personal preference and how many person you have.

Personally I think not necessary because the road there in CingJing are all in good condition and saloon will have a better handling when drive in winding mountain road.

A bigger CC car will be good as I found my rental Altis 1.8L understand power when driving on the mountain.

You are right that saloon has better handling and SUV is not really a must, but I thought of driving a SUV just for the experience and I think its not even 4WD. Anyway may switch to saloon if SUV is not available.
Your photos of the beautiful scenery looks really great, makes me want fly to Taiwan asap.
I guess Cingjing must be freezing in Dec. I am still wondering how much winter wear to pack just for rough 2 day 1 night there.
Which minsu did you stay in Cingjing? I am still looking for one that can accommodate 5 in a room and comes with either heating or electric blankets. I am afraid it might be too cold at night.
Edited by Lotr

You are right that saloon has better handling and SUV is not really a must, but I thought of driving a SUV just for the experience and I think its not even 4WD. Anyway may switch to saloon if SUV is not available.
Your photos of the beautiful scenery looks really great, makes me want fly to Taiwan asap.
I guess Cingjing must be freezing in Dec. I am still wondering how much winter wear to pack just for rough 2 day 1 night there.
Which minsu did you stay in Cingjing? I am still looking for one that can accommodate 5 in a room and comes with either heating or electric blankets. I am afraid it might be too cold at night.

I think 2D1N in Cingjing will be quite tight in timing. It will be better to stay for 3D2N.

I total spend 4N in Cingjing, staying in 2 different minsu. Just want to let myself and and kids fully relax out of the city. And my daughters enjoy a lot.

Below are the 2 minsu I stay 2N each.

http://www.wuby.com.tw/

I stay in this room : ■清境白雲渡假山莊情來情韻四人房 should be big enough for 5 person. 2 storey like a penthouse.

http://www.sunnydale.tw/rooms.php

For this I also get the biggest room in this minsu.

• Praise 2

Hi Lotr, just to share my experience as well. Did a short road trip from Taipei up north to Jiufen, then turned south to Hsinchu, Miaoli and Taichung. Then took a plane to Penghu.

Like what some others have rightly pointed out earlier, driving in Taiwan is quite relaxing and easy despite being on the wrong side of the road. I really enjoyed it a lot. The left-hand drive wasn't the biggest problem for me. Instead, the Chinese signs and Chinese-input GPS were my biggest challenge.

Agree that SUV is not necessary. But a "stronger" car would be good. I rented a Vios and feel that it was underpowered when climbing the hills. Some slopes can be quite steep in the mountains, and with a boot loaded with luggage, it was really struggling to get on. Do get a more powerful car if you have more passengers.

Here is a link to my blog about the trip. More sharing and info in there.

http://aikkianphotography.blogspot.sg/2014/07/taiwan-savouring-sweet-potato.html

Drive slow, drive safe, enjoy the journey and have a great trip! You'll love it! :)

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5