Sorry boys, soccer no future one!

Jman888

[:(] [:(]

Football: Singapore boys angry, disappointed

By Ian De Cotta, TODAY | Posted: 18 October 2011 0645 hrs

VICENZA: They have been in the news of late back home, unwittingly caught in the middle in a tussle between their benefactors, the Singapore Soccer Academy (SSA), and the Genova International School of Soccer (GISS).

When TODAY dropped in for a visit at GISS' training facility in Vicenza, the 24 Singapore boys were wolfing down pasta and chicken for lunch at Hotel Campanolo, two hours before they played an Australian side who are also on a training stint here.

After two months attending a football camp in Italy, the Singaporean youngsters, aged between 17 and 21, will head for Rome on Tuesday night before flying home on Wednesday to end a dramatic adventure.

Last week, it emerged that the SSA had failed to pay half of the total sum of 375,000 euros (S$658,000) due to GISS for the boys' training stint in Italy.

GISS' lawyers in Singapore, Gloria James-Civetta, issued a Letter of Demand to SSA last Friday for monies owed and gave them four days to reply.

SSA's lawyers, Low Yeap Toh and Goon, responded on Monday, saying their clients had asked for an extension until October 27 to make payment.

The boys were scheduled to return to Italy after a week's break in Singapore, but that now looks unlikely.

"I am at a loss for words," said Samuel Benjamin, an ITE student whose mother began to worry when she read about the controversy. "I did not know the problem was that big and we all were confident things would be resolved. Now I am really sad and disappointed because we have learnt and improved a lot under GISS."

The boys were selected by Fandi Ahmad, the former Singapore star striker and now the technical director at the SSA, after trials were conducted in Singapore from February to June.

The thought of training under top coaches, with the possibility of linking up with professional European clubs, was a dream come true for the youngsters.

Twins Nazirul Islam and Nurul Islam had hoped their Italian venture would open up more opportunities.

"Now I am worried this is not going to happen at all. I am really frustrated that the SSA have not live up to their promise. They also told us we would receive 800 euros a month and I wanted to get some souvenirs for my grandmother, but we don't have money to buy her anything now," said Nazirul, a Temasek Polytechnic student.

The SSA had promised the boys 800 euros a month as an allowance, but they have yet to receive their pocket money.

Sherhan Samsudin, 21, from Republic Polytechnic, said: "If we were each asked to pay our share for our stay at the hotel, I don't think my mum would have been able to afford it.

"I had only S$100 when I came here and my mum sent me 25 euros while I was here.

"I though the 800 euros I would receive each month was really good, but it never came."

Initially, the boys were staying at the Hotel Granduca Tuscany in Pisa, but they left after the SSA failed to pay GISS.

Three to a room, they are now staying at the Hotel Diana and the Hotel Nadia here.

GISS managing director Morris Pagniello said on Monday he would give the SSA until October 27 to pay the money owed.

"I really want these boys to return here. If the SSA pay the money due us for this part of the trip, we will welcome it," he said. "If they want they boys to return, then they need to pay the balance upfront." - TODAY

↡ Advertisement

True... the boys are better off doing other jobs. Prospects of joining an european club is almost 0%. While they may be talented, there are many many many more talents in europe.

Unless singapore can improve as a whole and become like s. korea, then people will notice.

Turbocharged

True... the boys are better off doing other jobs. Prospects of joining an european club is almost 0%. While they may be talented, there are many many many more talents in europe.

Unless singapore can improve as a whole and become like s. korea, then people will notice.

Even S Korea and Japan, with their level of pro football league, only have a handful of players playing in Europe..

Even S Korea and Japan, with their level of pro football league, only have a handful of players playing in Europe..

That's why our boys should stop dreaming. If they can be SEA games champ, that's already the limit.

some people may prefer to play soccer full time cos if come to work using brain, they may not be up for it.

everyone have their special skills,some good in studies,some good in sports,some good in business and the last one to rule them all,some are good in sucking and squeezing their countrymen dry.

the SSA started with a dream to convert the young players, but when they see the bill, it become nightmare [laugh]

actually the issue is not other more talented ppl in europe. afterall if fandi ahmad already have a shirt number when he is in Ajax while the like of gullit is still in the reserve squad then there is still hope.

however, NS is a big hinder for them [:(]

actually the issue is not other more talented ppl in europe. afterall if fandi ahmad already have a shirt number when he is in Ajax while the like of gullit is still in the reserve squad then there is still hope.

however, NS is a big hinder for them [:(]

NS is a big hinder for everyone. Not just for them. Everybody has to sacrifice for the country unless you are some big shot [lipsrsealed]

the SSA started with a dream to convert the young players, but when they see the bill, it become nightmare [laugh]

Where to find cheap and good? [laugh][laugh] Actually they should have known the cost before sending them there. So why suddenly no money?

NS is a big hinder for everyone. Not just for them. Everybody has to sacrifice for the country unless you are some big shot [lipsrsealed]

more so for soccer lah.

there are alot of country with NS but their country allow some concession for it in soccer [laugh]

Where to find cheap and good? [laugh][laugh] Actually they should have known the cost before sending them there. So why suddenly no money?

when started with a dream, it is rosy and can see the future but when the bill came and after calculating the ROI, they realise it was in fact a dream [laugh] [laugh]

or ping pong, cos girl no need to go NS :D

Turbocharged

some people may prefer to play soccer full time cos if come to work using brain, they may not be up for it.

so you think you are very brainy, mr smart guy?

with the poor responses here, no wonder Singapore football fails everytime

↡ Advertisement