Engine oil leaked from dipstick

Guys, I need some advise.

I have a 15yr old Caterpillar V8 diesel engine attached to drive a sea water pump unit. Operating at 1500 rpm only.

Last week, found that engine oil surged out through dip stick after 20 mins run and EO temp also increased to 110 deg from the normal 85-90deg C.

I have ordered a replacement dipstick as the plastic wedge with O ring at the dip stick was missing.

Could this be the reason for EO to leak out?

↡ Advertisement

I have a 15yr old Caterpillar V8 diesel engine attached to drive a sea water pump unit. Operating at 1500 rpm only.

Last week, found that engine oil surged out through dip stick after 20 mins run and EO temp also increased to 110 deg from the normal 85-90deg C.

I have ordered a replacement dipstick as the plastic wedge with O ring at the dip stick was missing.

Im not too sure hows a "Caterpillar V8 diesel engine attached to drive a sea water pump unit" look like but i can tell you that for car, engine oil does splash out (not a lot) from the dip stick hole if the dip stick is not put back... seen it from my friend car's before.... dunno how he could lost his dip stick, even he himself didnt know until he saw the oil stain on his bonnet... [;)] [;)]

Edited by Tigershark1976

I believe more likely over-filled the engine oil level.

Is ur engine wet or dry sump type???

Check ur oil level and whether it has been contanminated with cooling water.

Check ur cooling FW system too cos ur engine oil temp is too high. Ur engine oil is FW cooling or SW cooling???

It can be due to very high volume of blow-by from cylinders or the blow-by fume circulation system is mal-fuctioning. The blow-by pressure can be very high as diesel engines compression pressure is more than 900 psi.

If the problem persists suggest you do a compression or leak down test to determine the engine cylinders and rings conditions.

You have mentioned it yourself bro. the engine oil dipstick o ring (or lack of) is the cause of the leak.

Thanks for all your times folks.

indeed this missing part is true, and I am waiting for the replacement on a low prioirty order. However I am not that concern this may be the primary cause for EO to be pushed out. Normally, I can pull out while engine is still running at idling, to check warm EO level. There are 2 scales on the dip stick. One side is for Cold the other is WARM Idling.

EO never get leaked out, during the 1 minute check.

BUT have not done running without a properly sealed dipstick. There may still be a possibility

Lets see if it will solve the problem after new dipstick come in next week.

Old engine no Ex-stock, so must ship in from factory.

Mine not so new.

Standard cat yellow.

As compared to car engine, only difference is size.

The small diesel unit I have is around 4 tons only as compared to other bigger industrial diesel engines which can be as big as 40ft container.

I have hard time maintaining EO at 3/4 mark. Some operators are kiasu, so he add a bit everytime he checked. So the level is always slightly above Full mark all these years. And no EO had been pushed out through dipstick. I would put the estimates at 5-6 L out of 200L capacity. I would loose more EO or all EO if it was not discovered, the next intervention to auto shut the engine would be low oil pressure. By then, more damages could have occurred.

Wet sump.

separate oil and CW coolers

CW via indirect WS cooling.

CW cooler is upsized for V12.

During last overhaul, all 4 thermostats were replaced.

EO lube is higher then normal.

I could run this engine nonstop for days, and EO temp will still hoover around 85-90deg mark.

Luckily, EO still same colour. not milky yet.

Maybe there is some problem in this area.

My other Mitsubishi diesel engines operate at around 70+ deg.

We got the Cat because during that time, whole world is short of diesel engines after Iraq war. The waiting time for a new engine is at least 18 months or longer for engine of this capacity.

I will get it check and come it tell

Bro, this is one possible worst case situation.

High crankcase pressure could have force out EO.

Not because of the cost involved, but rather down time to replace piston rings.

BTW, exhaust smoke colour not changed. no black smoke from exhaust. Is this a good indicator that things may not be as bad?

Local Cat not keen to do single small engine. They came before previously for other maintenance and repairs, and must admit they knew their engines well. But it take a lot of efforts to get them to schedule a site repair.

Is the engine located in SG??? I had no problem getting local CAT agent to visit my vessels in SG or anywhere in SEA. Local CAT agent is Tractors Singapore.

So far only CAT agent gave me tough time is the one from India. Really [furious] And the Vietnam one, will not travel to Dang Na, they are located at HCMC. The rest, in SG, MY, East MY n Brunei are very prompt.

The irony is that engine is at Jurong Island and CAT is just across the island.

They always say busy.

Not sure if this engine not bought from them directly has an effect on this svc.

But they are very skilled. Solved my black smoke and vibration problems during their last visit last year.

This engine is originally designed for marine application, but we prep it for industrial use.

I can conduct servicing while engine is still running. Replace fuel and oil filters without need to shut down engine.

There is a breather valve connected to a 2" vent hose.

OK, I will check that next Monday.

Thanks bro

I will update next week.

Planned these jobs:

Check cooling systems.

Check lub circulation

check breather.

Neutral Newbie

not sure about the design of the caterpillar but on car engines

take the dipstick out and rev the engine. if oil comes out then most likely you have worn rings

↡ Advertisement