Car Cameras, out of control?

Jonjees

Just a topic for discussion ...

I am seeing so many car cameras posting overtaking, beating red lights, cars accidents etc

Can these videos be submitted to traffic police as evidence?

Would traffic police really take action against car owner that is in video?

But it is just a car plate without driver's face, so car owner will get called in for investigation?

Is it even legal?

I am also wondering, isnt it an invasion of privacy to have these cameras onboard and recording?

Okie so Singapore does not have privacy laws but still these cameras if not controlled can perhaps be used for other mischief too.

↡ Advertisement

If people are not doing anything wrong they should not be bothered about being filmed. In any case, in a public place there is no restriction of filming unless you're talking about sensitive installations, and no one's modesty is being violated.

If people are not doing anything wrong they should not be bothered about being filmed. In any case, in a public place there is no restriction of filming unless you're talking about sensitive installations, and no one's modesty is being violated.

but how to verify if one's modesty is being violated?

etc parking near the stairs of an overhead bridge, it might record something unintended.

i know that there is currently no such laws in singapore for such cameras and its usage.

Turbocharged

exactly! unless one got something to hide, if not, why scare of the camera. Those need to be worried are those who drive dangerously or racing on public roads.

exactly! unless one got something to hide, if not, why scare of the camera. Those need to be worried are those who drive dangerously or racing on public roads.

so can the videos be legally used to prosecute dangerous driving?

Twincharged

i have twice submitted video evidence to the TP for red light beaters.

both times they only replied saying they will investigate ... then after that, no updates.

dunno if they did anything or not also.

both times they only replied saying they will investigate ... then after that, no updates.

so you also did not know if they were fined or warned based on your videos?

you also did not get an award?

i do know however, that some drivers are fined for dangerous driving if they get spotted visually by some unmarked cars/drivers.

Twincharged

so you also did not know if they were fined or warned based on your videos?

you also did not get an award?

i do know however, that some drivers are fined for dangerous driving if they get spotted visually by some unmarked cars/drivers.

yup, i never knew what happened to my complaints.

no awards ... but i am doing this becoz i was a vehicle accident victim of a red light beater. M.F. beat red light and whack my rear door and then counterclaim me for beating red light ... so end up 50/50 claim.

so this is my personal vendetta against red light beaters. and i really dun mind spending abit more on better cams.

ppl is liddat one ... all sound very noble when nothing bad happens to them ... but things WILL look different when you are on the other side of the fence.

Edited by Ysc3

Just keep sending the video to the police.

Sooner or later they will have to set up a new department for video informants processing. A few lucky chaps will get employment.

Things works in mysterious ways.

Seems like TP are just sitting on the job. I have sent in videos to report drivers who drive without regards of other road-users but I don't think any action has been taken.

I think they'll just wait till an accident happens before issuing a summon.

When we say police no action after sending in the video.

But is the sender be willing to attend court to Sompah in law that the video take is true and no doctored and willing to be witness to the offending act?

Seems like TP are just sitting on the job. I have sent in videos to report drivers who drive without regards of other road-users but I don't think any action has been taken.

I think they'll just wait till an accident happens before issuing a summon.

but it is just videos of the car, maybe zipping around traffic?

u can be driving at 50km/hr and still do that no?

besides it is just videos of the car, identity of driver is unknown.

I find that some people who install cameras tend to drive more recklessly, don't give way.. thinking that because they have the camera they own the road and with the "come bang me lor" mentality, park like a**es also. Not that I discourage the use of the cameras but it doesn't give you a**hole rights that's about all I have to say.

Edited by Detach8

Supercharged

I find that some people who install cameras tend to drive more recklessly, don't give way..

i tink it's more like they don't give way to pricks who drive recklessly.

Turbocharged

so can the videos be legally used to prosecute dangerous driving?

Its up to the TP to decide.

But i do know that in Taiwan people submit videos of traffic offenders and litter bugs to the authority for a living.

Twincharged

When we say police no action after sending in the video.

But is the sender be willing to attend court to Sompah in law that the video take is true and no doctored and willing to be witness to the offending act?

yup, the TP will reply to your email and then at the same time ask you if you are willing to testify it need calls for it.

btw, isn't it overkill for someone to doctor a video just to catch traffic offenders ?? ... just like unmarked patrol cars ... making a mountain out of a molehill !!

Nothing will happen unless hit-and-run.

↡ Advertisement