Portable aircon

Ysc3

On 4/10/2021 at 11:47 PM, Albeniz said:

I have recently carved up a small area (~10 square meters) as a study room. I am considering to install a portable aircon.

My wish:

1. Electricity bill within reasonable range.

2. Able to function like an air-con in cooling the small room to 25 degree Celsius.

2. Should not too noisy (as intend to have zoom meeting and do some basic video recording).

3. Maintenance is not too troublesome.

I hope technology has improved since the thread started 10 years ago.  Do let me know if you have some experiences to share.  I figure this would be the cheapest solution for me if it works, that is.

Do you know of any shops which I could try out the aircon?

My opinion,  if you just want a temporary solution for a couple of months or occasional use, OK. Permanent arrangement,  NO. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

I have recently carved up a small area (~10 square meters) as a study room. I am considering to install a portable aircon.

My wish:

2. Able to function like an air-con in cooling the small room to 25 degree Celsius.

2. Should not too noisy (as intend to have zoom meeting and do some basic video recording).

I hope technology has improved since the thread started 10 years ago.  Do let me know if you have some experiences to share.  I figure this would be the cheapest solution for me if it works, that is.

if really want to cool down to 25 deg or lower, sure need exhaust and exhaust make noise.

I got TCL portable aircon, can cool down a 150 sq ft room really quick but noisy. However if you want to lower the noise, you can switch it to fan mode (quite quiet) after cooling down the room and it can last probably an hour (provided the room remain closed/seal).

no maintenance needed, just need a small gap from the window to let the hot air out.

W6A8048_720x480_1.png

download.jpg

• Praise 5

7 minutes ago, Jman888 said:

if really want to cool down to 25 deg or lower, sure need exhaust and exhaust make noise.

I got TCL portable aircon, can cool down a 150 sq ft room really quick but noisy. However if you want to lower the noise, you can switch it to fan mode (quite quiet) after cooling down the room and it can last probably an hour (provided the room remain closed/seal).

no maintenance needed, just need a small gap from the window to let the hot air out.

W6A8048_720x480_1.png

download.jpg

This type has water coming out of an outlet, right? The condensate.

If you attach a water hose to it, where does it go?

5 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

this type no water hose nor condensation. There is a small container, it collect very very little water and dry off itself.

11 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

Don't think got water - probably drips onto the coils and evaporated away. This is a lot more inefficient than normal aircon. But short term use, easiest solution. 

When no longer needed, just sell off on Carouselll - I sold off one very quickly before to a student moving into hostel. 

Edited by Volvobrick
  • Praise 1

1 minute ago, Jman888 said:

this type no water hose nor condensation. There is a small container, it collect very very little water and dry off itself.

We are living where the relative humidity is very high. Cannot be very little water.

Aircon works by removing moisture content in the air.

4 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

Don't think got water - probably drips onto the coils and evaporated away. This is a lot more inefficient than normal aircon. But short term use, easiest solution. 

When no longer needed, just sell off on Carouselll - I sold off one very quickly before to a student moving into hostel. 

Then the portable aircon isnt strong and it doesnt cool very well. 

1 minute ago, Watwheels said:

We are living where the relative humidity is very high. Cannot be very little water.

Aircon works by removing moisture content in the air.

i dun use it so often but we use it last year while everyone WFH and on the aircon 5 days a week and about 6 hours each day during the 'summer' season [laugh]  even then i didn't need to clear the water container and there was no water leak at all. I still use it every now and then.

One of the features stated "Patented Fogging Technology – efficient auto water evaporation" 

https://tcl.sg/portable-air-conditioners

• Praise 2

9 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

Then the portable aircon isnt strong and it doesnt cool very well. 

the 10/12 btu one can be quite cold when set to 20 deg, it is as good as the old window unit.

2 minutes ago, Jman888 said:

i dun use it so often but we use it last year while everyone WFH and on the aircon 5 days a week and about 6 hours each day during the 'summer' season [laugh]  even then i didn't need to clear the water container and there was no water leak at all. I still use it every now and then.

One of the features stated "Patented Fogging Technology – efficient auto water evaporation" 

https://tcl.sg/portable-air-conditioners

If the system is detecting a lot of condensate it might shutdown the compressor and just leave the fan running. That means it is not working efficiently. For other countries where the relative humidity is low they experience very low condensate. That's understandable.

But for our case if we use a portable aircon we have to attach a hose and direct it to drain the water. Cos normal aircon I already see a lot of condensate flowing out. Ppl dont see it is because the piping is hidden. So if you say the portable aircon system have little condensate it means it is not cooling efficiently.

If ppl say the condensate is dispel thru the exhaust you have to see in what position the portable aircon is placed. If it is on the floor and your exhaust pipe has to go up to a window etc. It cannot work against gravity to dispel the water. The water will start to collect at the exhaust outlet and leak all over. 

From what i understood, the current gen portable aircon really dun collect much water on the water collecton box cos they some how manage to expel the water together with the exhaust gas.

My co server room got a portable 12000btu tcl back up aircon running 24 x 7 and there is really not much water on the unit water collection box, if any, only problem is the noise nia, unless wear ear plug sleep if use portable aircon in bedroom.

• Praise 1

If you are talking about your co server room is there any windows and is outside air able to enter the room? If there is none and no outside air then the humidity in that room is likely low. But when compared to residences' typical room you will have high relative humidity and when window seals are not air tight you will typically have a lot of water coming out of the unit.

THis is useful why you should avoid if possible. BUT it's easy to install and get rid off. Trade offs. Condensation (if any) is least of your considerations.

• Praise 2

My wish:

Do this then go to cookhouse there to kope ice :grin:

• Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Watwheels said:

If you are talking about your co server room is there any windows and is outside air able to enter the room? If there is none and no outside air then the humidity in that room is likely low. But when compared to residences' typical room you will have high relative humidity and when window seals are not air tight you will typically have a lot of water coming out of the unit.

Yes, i do get ur point on the humidity part but just i keep seeing this new gen portable aircon advertise as having "Self-Evaporative System"  so it might be true they manage to improvise on the water condensate part.

Maybe some folks here with experience using the newer portable aircon can chip in n provide some updated info for us old fogey.. heehee

1 hour ago, Albeniz said:

For aircon to be placed at the window, which type (referring to the picture below) is better?

aircon.JPG

If your Widows are sliding. The Eurospace one will be easier for installation. 

Got one from Best Denki, using for more than 2 years. 

aircon.JPG.1d187fe53267d351bff23cdca42a3c1b.jpeg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2