If During HEAVY DOWNPOUR - What type of route is safer?

Yahgo22

I wish to have our fellow drivers opinion of what type of road is safer to drive

during very heavy downpour and bad visibility.

Expresway or normal trunk road?

Pls share your view as we are having bad weather now.

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

I wish to have our fellow drivers opinion of what type of road is safer to drive

If best dun drive. Any kind of road is same if you do not have confident. :ph34r:

on SG roads, Rain = major accident.

Unless you want to increase the odds, stay indoors until subsides

If best dun drive. Any kind of road is same if you do not have confident. :ph34r:

What happen is after u finish work and it rains very badly and non-stop.

Are you gtg to sleep in your office overnite?

Neutral Newbie

For me i driven in snow and hails before, SG rain still manageable. But if you are worried of visibility, a trick i learnt is to follow the front car. If you very worried, suggest you head for shelter or coffee shop on your nearest exit, if very late at nite, just drive very slowly on lane 3.

* Dun follow behind TAXI! Try follow bigger vehicles like trucks or lorries.

Edited by Maka

finish work is what timing? 6+? then also jams everywhere..

The best is don't drive, cannot predict what kuku drivers will do. Examples, in poor visibility environment:

1) Some will on hazard lights;

2) Some will drive without signalling;

3) Some will not on headlights & etc.

No wonder accidents will definitely happen in a raining day.

North-East Line or Circle Line also not bad. Passengers going North to Yishun, please alight and take the northbound train on the opposite platform.

Which expressway can have PONDING during heavy rain?

BKE, the stretch south-bound near the Kranji Flyover.

AYE, west bound, before Tuas Circle Flyover

PIE, east bound, before BKE turnpike

and Bedok Reservoir [laugh]

Edited by Bavarian

Neutral Newbie

Which expressway can have PONDING during heavy rain?

So far only know 3 area with high level of water and water holes (uneven road).

1) AMK ave 5 towards AMK Ave 1 - all 4 lanes badly patched.

2) Jln Bukit Merah entrance CTE towards ang mo kio. Road texture is very slippery after climbing up got a big area in between lane 3 and 2 where water ponds up during super heavy down pour.

3) Lentor exit from SLE whole stretch to yio chu kang road.

Drive safely and slowly.

(edited)

Safest lane to keep is middle or lane 2 cos there are many cases of

FALLEN TREES.

Edited by Yahgo22

I assume you refer to local roads only and can not postpone, must drive.

Expressway got less risk of big fallen trees/branches.

Trunk roads means likely can turn off to detour along other route if obstructed by fallen trees/branches.

Visiblility-wise, I believe SLE near the Yio Chu Kang Road among the worst during heavy downpour.

Feel free to toot horn in case of doubt.

Do not invite rear-end collision by driving with hazard lights blinking. Blinking hazard lights meant for broken/stationery vehicle.

Use trafficator to indicate which side you want others to overtake your car. Left for offside, right for nearside.

Try not to be inside a broken down vehicle (likely to be rear-ended soon). Stay away from the road/road shoulder. Do not volunteer your body to be crash barrier by standing as stanchion near the broken down vehicle (some/many motorists like to do that).

Turn on headlights. Drive slow. And I do not believe following heavy vehicle is safe, if have to be behind a vehicle, you should be able to see beyond the car in front so you can anticipate and stop in time.

Just keep a safe distance should be fine

Actually I like driving in heavy rain.. then can on all the fog lights that I normally cannot on haha

Just mark those flood prone area down and avoid using those road when heavy rain for long....

Edited by LoverofCar

1) Poor visibility makes driving unsafe regardless of what type of roads or even in the carpark.

2) Expressway are straighter then trunk road, except when approaching exit lane that might be risky in side collision due to vehicles filtering in or out causes criss crossing each other lane.

3) Trunk road are rather busy with more traffic lights and other road users than Expressway, slower speed with alert in 2~3 cars ahead would be safer.

4) Wet roads are slipery, worst with oil, pepples, sand and debris that are unseen until it's too late to avoid, panics and hasty emergency bracking will cause the car to lost control, therefore engine bracking into 3rd.gear or even lower gear controls better, japs bracking to slow down would be much safer.

5) In heavy downpour raining, it a must to switch on headlight, front & Rear fog lights to be clearly seen by others, never never use your hazard lights to mislead other driver's into bracking that might cause rear-end accident.

Neutral Newbie

Turn on headlights. Drive slow. And I do not believe following heavy vehicle is safe, if have to be behind a vehicle, you should be able to see beyond the car in front so you can anticipate and stop in time.

Just keep a safe distance should be fine

Actually I like driving in heavy rain.. then can on all the fog lights that I normally cannot on haha

Well i guess if that works for you than you should go with it. Its individual's choice in terms of getting confident to succumb obstacles. For me i just drive like i use to just slower abit.

↡ Advertisement