Two Plead Guilty in Singapore's Biggest Public Fraud Since 1

Ithunk

Oct. 28 (Bloomberg) -- Koh Seah Wee and Lim Chai Meng pleaded guilty for their roles in cheating Singapore government agencies of S$12.5 million ($10 million) in the city's biggest public-sector fraud since 1995.

Koh, 41, formerly a deputy director at the Singapore Land Authority, pleaded guilty to 55 charges including cheating and conversion of property from criminal proceeds at a hearing in Singapore today. Lim, 38, who was his subordinate, pleaded guilty to 49 counts including money laundering.

The two men have yet to be sentenced and face a maximum of 10 years in prison for each cheating charge. Koh is accused of defrauding the land authority of S$12.2 million and the Intellectual Property Office of Singapore of S$286,000 and was charged with 372 counts of cheating and corruption at the agencies. Lim was charged on 309 counts of defrauding the land authority.

Koh is also accused of cheating the Singapore Supreme Court of an undisclosed amount.

The two men submitted false invoices through various shell companies set up by five accomplices for fictitious information technology services and goods at the land agency, according to court papers.

They allegedly used the money to buy apartments and cars including a S$1.6 million limited-edition Lamborghini Murcielago LP670-4 SV and a Ferrari F430.

Ho Yen Teck, an accomplice, was sentenced on Jan. 14 to 10 years in jail.

Least Corrupt

Singapore, rated the least corrupt nation in the world together with Denmark and New Zealand by Transparency International, reviewed its public sector's financial procedures after the fraud was revealed in September 2010. Prosecutors have said the case has "severely shaken the public confidence" in government controls.

The fraud led the law ministry, which oversees both the intellectual property office and land authority, and the Supreme Court to set up independent review panels.

In 1995, Choy Hon Tim, a deputy chief executive at the Public Utilities Board, was jailed for 14 years for taking S$13.9 million in kickbacks in Singapore's largest public sector graft case. Choy was released in 2005 for good behavior.

The case is Public Prosecutor v Koh Seah Wee and Lim Chai Meng CC36/2011 in the Singapore High Court.

--Editors: Lena Lee, Douglas Wong

To contact the reporter on this story: Andrea Tan in Singapore at [email protected]

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Douglas Wong at [email protected]

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...L#ixzz1c4x3R1tb

source

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...TRBC36K50YF.DTL

↡ Advertisement

this will be used during the ministeral salary review to increase salaries

Very simple equation and always true for ministar

Corruption = Pay Not Enough

haha like that pay all civil servants 1 million/annum lor :D

Like that I don't mind being an office boy :D

The biggest? How we know this is the biggest? It might be just the tip of the iceberg. If these 2 person can stay under the radar for so long, surely there are others who stay a low profile and not yet caught.

maybe those never get caught already retired, records destroyed & migrated out of sg.

i juz amazed gahmen spend $ on ficticious purchases and nobody ever found out.

trade 10 yrs worth of freedom (in fact lesser after minus off holidays and weekends) with over 10 mil worth of cash... given a choice, I also want cause I dont think I can even make that much in my lifetime...

this will be used during the ministeral salary review to increase salaries

Evidence that more corrupted people are being recruited and promoted to higher appointments, than decent/honest people

The biggest? How we know this is the biggest? It might be just the tip of the iceberg. If these 2 person can stay under the radar for so long, surely there are others who stay a low profile and not yet caught.

You got the point. You are right. Radar switched off for maintenance. Operation can cause wear and tear. Moth-balled no operational cost, and minimium maintenance cost.

maybe those never get caught already retired, records destroyed & migrated out of sg.

i juz amazed gahmen spend $ on ficticious purchases and nobody ever found out.

EP can not audit. No one really audit. Just utilised the budget, or next year budget will be trimmed.

Many years back a FT told me of his recruitment interview. When he told his interviewers he would not accept the job if he was not allowed 2 and a half times their project budget. The interviewers immediately agreed. After a while he realised that budget was right. His projection was excessive. He would have hard time explaining the 'surplus' to his employer who interviewed him. He got so excited about his a plan to steal the money and called for a press interview to promote himself and his plan. He was told to resign immediately when the tax-payers who read the articvle wrote in their protest (if no one wrote in he would had left with the money). He said in UK where he came from, it is legal to do so.

Really a lot more worshipping on-going all these years, and the 60%+ may have to do with these.

Edited by Good-Carbuyer

trade 10 yrs worth of freedom (in fact lesser after minus off holidays and weekends) with over 10 mil worth of cash... given a choice, I also want cause I dont think I can even make that much in my lifetime...

Sabbie! wake up, if you are not reading this. The proven money making method that is legal. Worked as jailbird for 10 years as multi-millionaire.

Unofficial millionaire-jailbird appointment?

For all the media reports concerning this case, I have never seen the full-face pictures of the perpetrators: Koh and Lim. There was just one pic of Koh but it was with his sunglasses on. Is there something I am missing here?

post-3608-1319885393_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sofarsogood

Elite-mindset?

there are lots of rumors flying around

that some top civil servants including those ministers

renovate their office cost hundred of thousands of dollars

hence why their staff get to sit thousand dollar chairs

but no one day to confirm this if this is true or false