Criminal or Civil case?

Vid

Was having dinner with some relatives just now and an aunt ask me a question -

A friend of hers asked to partner with her to takeover a beauty business so she agreed and passed about $30k to the friend. It's her friends so no agreement has been signed since the takeover is not finalized yet. But part of the money was transferred by bank to that friend so got proof she passed money to her. Now that the takeover date is near, that friend seems to be avoiding her, like not answer her call or messages and have no updates on the situation.

So she asked me, if the partner disappeared with the money, is this a case of fraud or will the police ask her to find a lawyer instead? She afraid of these kind of legal stuff (I guess everyone is). Any advise from bros here?

↡ Advertisement

many years ago, i pass my fren 2k to start a small biz, in the end he cheated me. i make a report, stupid police say, since he is ur fren, this is not a cheating case. WTF??!?!?!!?!?!?!?! they tell me i hv to find lawyer to sue him..zzzzzzz

Twincharged

10 years ago when i got my driving license, i paid cash $17k for a 9 yr old car.

the dealer never transferred the car to my name.

when the car scrapped, he took everything.

the ins was in my name, i paid him via chq, he gave me a letter of underwriting.

went to police, and 2 weeks later they sent me a letter saying it was civil case. went to lawyer and they said can fight, can win = but they fella can dun pay, and i might end up footing the court fees even !!

A friend of hers asked to partner with her to takeover a beauty business so she agreed and passed about $30k to the friend. It's her friends so no agreement has been signed since the takeover is not finalized yet. But part of the money was transferred by bank to that friend so got proof she passed money to her. Now that the takeover date is near, that friend seems to be avoiding her, like not answer her call or messages and have no updates on the situation.

So she asked me, if the partner disappeared with the money, is this a case of fraud or will the police ask her to find a lawyer instead? She afraid of these kind of legal stuff (I guess everyone is). Any advise from bros here?

I believe a fool an his/her money soon part company. I believe without proper documentation, there is nothing much the law can protect anyone. Due dedicated diligence a must for any transaction. Let this enlighten her not to repeat the practice. I am no lawyer, but the basic logic is: there is no case (like you donated your money away then regretted).

10 years ago when i got my driving license, i paid cash $17k for a 9 yr old car.

the dealer never transferred the car to my name.

when the car scrapped, he took everything.

the ins was in my name, i paid him via chq, he gave me a letter of underwriting.

went to police, and 2 weeks later they sent me a letter saying it was civil case. went to lawyer and they said can fight, can win = but they fella can dun pay, and i might end up footing the court fees even !!

Can try sue the lawyer for misleading you?

Twincharged

Can try sue the lawyer for misleading you?

the cops already told me they will not be involved. (i went NPP b4 i went to Bedok HQ).

and i think the car dealer closed his business at mountbatten and moved to katong and started another outfit.

all this becoz the dealer was recommended by a colleague of mine who bought a few cars thru this dealer ... but ended up i kenah con big time !!

so personally, i believe unless you have more cash to cough out to the lawyers and judiciary system, else just take it as a expensive lesson.

This is criminal breach of trust case isn't it?But the sad thing is there is no black and white. Very difficult to prove you lend him the money or he cheated you off the money.

the cops already told me they will not be involved. (i went NPP b4 i went to Bedok HQ).

and i think the car dealer closed his business at mountbatten and moved to katong and started another outfit.

all this becoz the dealer was recommended by a colleague of mine who bought a few cars thru this dealer ... but ended up i kenah con big time !!

so personally, i believe unless you have more cash to cough out to the lawyers and judiciary system, else just take it as a expensive lesson.

no wonder so many people can get away

Even if there is a personal contract signed by both parties, wud such a doc be recognized in a court of law? Wud lender be willing to hire/pay for lawyer to get money back?

Its a civil case and more likely case of bad debt to the investigator. It will turn into a Criminal case if agreement was signed in black & white and both holding a copy each. Now its her word against the other party.

Get ready for the other party to claim that it was a loan from her even she had the bank transfer record .... [:(][:(]

This is criminal breach of trust case isn't it?But the sad thing is there is no black and white. Very difficult to prove you lend him the money or he cheated you off the money.

Only when the culprit confessed. It is impossible to prove otherwise.

Would it be a criminal case if there's more than one victim? Ask around and see if there's other victims.

I was told it is the standard practice in some countries for the rich to rob the poor.

↡ Advertisement