Used Car, what STA Inspection grade then can buy?

Saviourwu

Neutral Newbie

it could be as simple as something loose in the cabin causing the humming sound due to transmission or worn engine mounts.

Ok I verified the vibrations (likely causing the humming sound). It happens in a cyclic way and only when the car is idle. Like suddenly will earthquake, then go back to less again and repeat. When I switch off the a/c, let car idle, the vibration is very much reduced!

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Supersonic

Ok I verified the vibrations (likely causing the humming sound). It happens in a cyclic way and only when the car is idle. Like suddenly will earthquake, then go back to less again and repeat. When I switch off the a/c, let car idle, the vibration is very much reduced!

Timing belt problem?

Aircon compressor cutting in and out.

Japanese car right?

Neutral Newbie

Aircon compressor cutting in and out.

Japanese car right?

Yes, indeed. Suzuki make. 

If engine mount, timing belt issues, i think just replaced them should be fine hor?

If aircon compressor, does it mean no need to fixed? (Unless change whole compressor due to being over annoyed by vibrations?) Hahah..

If the car vibrates badly in neutral gear or D when stationary, then check engine mounts.

For timing belt, do a visual check to determine if it needs to be changed. Signs are cracks or fraying at the edges.

For the aircon compressor, you can leave it unless the aircon is not cold.

It could be the aircon compressor bearing making the humming noise. Better to get it checked by a car aircon workshop.

Yes, indeed. Suzuki make. 

If engine mount, timing belt issues, i think just replaced them should be fine hor?

If aircon compressor, does it mean no need to fixed? (Unless change whole compressor due to being over annoyed by vibrations?) Hahah..

Hi anyone know where does those pre coe renewal check. A while back I read comfort engineering does it?

I have been last time to aa or something like that. Their accessmeant very vague.

• Praise 3

A 2017 car graded by STA grade B means what? Seller claims is accident free but why grade B for a less than one year old car?

• Praise 2

Can the grating tell the car last time got accident before?

Haha, once I read this case. A car was graded B but later the buyer sent it for further checks, he found that the car was actually 2 halves of 2 cars welded together to make one car.

• Praise 1

Hi anyone know where does those pre coe renewal check. A while back I read comfort engineering does it?

I have been last time to aa or something like that. Their accessmeant very vague.

I had my car inspected by AA before purchase. quite satisfied with their service.

think for COE renewal advice maybe your regular mechanic would be able to furnish some input as well ?

• Praise 1

I had my car inspected by AA before purchase. quite satisfied with their service.

think for COE renewal advice maybe your regular mechanic would be able to furnish some input as well ?

Mechanics sure say can coz if I scrap the car and get a new car, they won’t get to earn. Anyway I went to 1 check center, full of rubbish, told me spark plug need to change, transmission fluid dirty, power steering dirty, air filter dirty, impossible coz I did these myself not long ago. I thought they could do better than that.

• Praise 1

Mechanics sure say can coz if I scrap the car and get a new car, they won’t get to earn. Anyway I went to 1 check center, full of rubbish, told me spark plug need to change, transmission fluid dirty, power steering dirty, air filter dirty, impossible coz I did these myself not long ago. I thought they could do better than that.

I would suggest you consider AA again.

If your car has been relatively problem free then the option to renew is certainly there. Then the inspection is more for piece of mind for your decision. 

• Praise 1

I reckon some mechanics may not want to stick their neck out and advise whether to renew or not to renew.

So just ask if wanna renew what needs to be done and how much. And assess from there.

Neutral Newbie

STA Evaluation came back with the results. Everything normal except the car is fitted with HID Ballast. Leave it or change it? Who should bear the cost to change? Thanks in advance.

• Praise 1

I would suggest you consider AA again.

If your car has been relatively problem free then the option to renew is certainly there. Then the inspection is more for piece of mind for your decision. 

AA did a very professional job when I sent a car in for inspection.

The previous owner rectified most of the items that AA found at his own cost. I only paid for the AA inspection.

• Praise 1

Bumping this old thread to ask a question.

If I go for a test drive tomorrow morning, find that the car is satisfactory, and ask the dealer to send the car to STA/Vicom for inspection tomorrow afternoon itself, would that be unreasonable? Wondering if it would be unreasonable if I ask for the inspection to be on the same day as the day I go and test drive the car.  [:p]

• Praise 1

Hi guys, just wanted to ask a question regarding sending used cars for inspections - I did hear from the people around here saying, that if the STA grade comes back as 'A' or 'B' , then the buyer pays for the inspection. If anything lower, make the dealer pay for it.

Is this an accepted practice?

Also, if I want to send to my trusted workshop to do this pre-purchase evaluation, and there is probably no "grading" result from the workshop inspection - so how should I negotiate with the used car dealer on who should pay for the inspection costs?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1