Used Car, what STA Inspection grade then can buy?

Saviourwu

Hi guys, just wanted to ask a question regarding sending used cars for inspections - I did hear from the people around here saying, that if the STA grade comes back as 'A' or 'B' , then the buyer pays for the inspection. If anything lower, make the dealer pay for it.

Is this an accepted practice?

Also, if I want to send to my trusted workshop to do this pre-purchase evaluation, and there is probably no "grading" result from the workshop inspection - so how should I negotiate with the used car dealer on who should pay for the inspection costs?

on who bears the sta inspection cost, i guess it depends on negotiation.

if sending to own workshop, I think it is only fair to self bare the cost that the workshop will check. the workshop should inform you of the issues of the car which the buyer can use it for price negotiations.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

I thought about that as well - but with all the horror stories that guys here mention when dealing with used car dealers, wouldn't there be a high chance that I send for inspection, and my workshop tells me "no go", and then I keep moving on to the next car, car after car, and I keep busting money on used car inspections?

Just a random thought, maybe I wouldn't be so unlucky afterall...

• Praise 1

(edited)

I thought about that as well - but with all the horror stories that guys here mention when dealing with used car dealers, wouldn't there be a high chance that I send for inspection, and my workshop tells me "no go", and then I keep moving on to the next car, car after car, and I keep busting money on used car inspections?

Buy used car with one owner only, and the car must only be serviced by agent - request service records; and do not buy car that has colour different from the log card.

STA Inspection grade doesn't matter much.

Edited by song77
  • Praise 2

The inspection cost spent is a small sum compared to you buying a lemon car. Must look at the overall picture
  • Praise 1

Don't trust STA reports. They might issue B, but it doesn't meant odometer not tampered, or the vehicle wasn't touched up professionally post accident.

http://www.mycarforum.com/topic/2710266-guide-getting-a-preowned-2nd-hand-car/

Well said, praised you already so could not praise you again.

The inspection cost spent is a small sum compared to you buying a lemon car. Must look at the overall picture

Absolutely. Actually as a buyer, I will want to pay the inspector so that he will be inspecting based on my interests. How much can I trust the inspector if he is paid by the seller?

• Praise 1

Try to be good friends with the boss and mechanic of the trusted WS that you always frequent. After being with them for years, maybe you can get one of them to go test drive the used car that you set your eyes on with you for maybe a small fees or even a few lunch / tea break / coffee break will do the trick too.

Well said, praised you already so could not praise you again.

Absolutely. Actually as a buyer, I will want to pay the inspector so that he will be inspecting based on my interests. How much can I trust the inspector if he is paid by the seller?

Then the choice is AAS

Hi guys, just wanted to ask a question regarding sending used cars for inspections - I did hear from the people around here saying, that if the STA grade comes back as 'A' or 'B' , then the buyer pays for the inspection. If anything lower, make the dealer pay for it.

Is this an accepted practice?

Also, if I want to send to my trusted workshop to do this pre-purchase evaluation, and there is probably no "grading" result from the workshop inspection - so how should I negotiate with the used car dealer on who should pay for the inspection costs?

If you want to send to inspection centre with grading result, then please go to AA if you're paying for it.

And if you want to send to your trusted WS, most of the time even your trusted WS will not do it if the dealer is with you, unless you're very good friend with the boss of your trusted WS.

When you bring the used car to your trusted WS, get the WS to list down what're the necessary repair needed, wear and tear parts which need replacement and if the car got accident b4, list down which were the damaged area which already got repair due to accident. And most important thing your WS should advise you whether the car is a good buy or not.

• Praise 1

If you want to send to inspection centre with grading result, then please go to AA if you're paying for it.

And if you want to send to your trusted WS, most of the time even your trusted WS will not do it if the dealer is with you, unless you're very good friend with the boss of your trusted WS.

When you bring the used car to your trusted WS, get the WS to list down what're the necessary repair needed, wear and tear parts which need replacement and if the car got accident b4, list down which were the damaged area which already got repair due to accident. And most important thing your WS should advise you whether the car is a good buy or not.

Thanks for the precious advice - this was what I was concerned about - which workshop would want to risk souring their relationships with a used car dealer by openly saying a car is a lemon (if it *really* is a lemon)?

Hence the dilemma that I have as I am intending to get a used car before the end of this year when my car is going to be scrapped.

Of course, there's always the backup plan of extending the COE...

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/i4Zn77dUYQzDpZwu6

Can help to comment on this STA report??

6.Vehicle Paintwork Sign of Touch up

7.Vehicle Front Panel and fender sign of Touch up

8.Vehicle Rotor Disc Sign of Work

9.Vehicle Undercarriage Knocking Sound over bumpy road (Abnormal Sound)

10.Vehicle Veer Left

Edited by 100powerup
  • Praise 1

Supersonic

https://photos.app.goo.gl/i4Zn77dUYQzDpZwu6

Can help to comment on this STA report??

6.Vehicle Paintwork Sign of Touch up

7.Vehicle Front Panel and fender sign of Touch up

8.Vehicle Rotor Disc Sign of Work

9.Vehicle Undercarriage Knocking Sound over bumpy road (Abnormal Sound)

10.Vehicle Veer Left

Signs of the car got mount over the kerb before?

Neutral Newbie

Frankly, I have no idea to see about the car mounting of the kerb. How do we see?Sorry ya. But if this is the case, is it considered not significant issue?

Supersonic

Frankly, I have no idea to see about the car mounting of the kerb. How do we see?Sorry ya. But if this is the case, is it considered not significant issue?

Just my guess based on the signs you posted.

I ever buy a car using STA Report. My criteria is A will buy.

Inspector even told me there is a tiny tiny bull eye on the window screen. Still get A as it can be easily rectified.  Claim lor.

So, off the record.

The car is 11 months old.

I think for me, if car 3 or more years older, I will not use these service lor.  

↡ Advertisement