Air con cut off when in hot weather

Viosbbs

Hi all,

my 4 yo toyota vios have this strange problem.

From my observation, in cool weather, there is no problem but if under hot weather, my air con will be cut-off. There is only hot air blowing out.

Any bro can advise what is the likely problem?

Thanks in advance!

↡ Advertisement

check is your condenser fan working or not(the one next to the radiator fan)??

feels with your palm to see if its spinning fast enough, faulty fan will not be able to cool down the condenser properly thus resulting in the scenario which you mentioned.

Go to Markcool, look for Ah Huat. (Do call and make a prior appt, he is a prized mech for those of us who have air con concerns)

Dont change your compressor just yet.

There is something about aged Jap makes that has this issue- he solved my forester and my FIL's civic and saved me huge replacement costs.

If you want details, let's take it offline.

Thanks all for the prompt replies!

Was delaying sending to BM because of busy schedule. Will be sending in next wed. Still under warranty. If that fails, will pm Hermit for Ah Huat's contact....

Cheers!

If your aircon is still working at night or morning, the compressor is fine.

I suspect your compressor engage coil is weak. Sometime it can engage sometime fail to engage.

Just send to workshop to repair the engage solenoid. I will not cost more than $200 (all package in)

Some workshop lazy to diagnostic will suggest to change the entire compressor. They will suggest easy money from you

Neutral Newbie

There is a temperature control chip residing under on top of the compressor (near the rotor). Go change that should solve your problem. I suspect the temperature chipset is moldy, did you recently try to wash your engine compartment?

Hi all,

my 4 yo toyota vios have this strange problem.

From my observation, in cool weather, there is no problem but if under hot weather, my air con will be cut-off. There is only hot air blowing out.

Any bro can advise what is the likely problem?

Thanks in advance!

doctor: the problem with your air-cond after thorough investigation, the result is

your air-cond eat snake

There is a temperature control chip residing under on top of the compressor (near the rotor). Go change that should solve your problem. I suspect the temperature chipset is moldy, did you recently try to wash your engine compartment?

No but it happen after my last servicing.....

doctor: the problem with your air-cond after thorough investigation, the result is

your air-cond eat snake

haha, tat what i thou too, hot weather made the air con "hot" also, then go on strike.... cool weather then back to work.....

Neutral Newbie

No but it happen after my last servicing.....

You might want to check with your W/S if he "accidentally" drops his grease on a grey colour box looking thing near the rotor. If you car is under 5yrs warranty, go back to borneo motor to check. Most likely they will change that for you. But if yours over and service outside, you might need to pay around 150 - 200 for that part.

Some others that i know of, did some grounding or adds power regulator which indirectly creates a surge and indirectly burns that chipset. Your aircon will function on room temperature or below but once above 30 degree, the compressor cuts off.

Edited by Maka

There are two possibilities:

- worn compressor washer (cheap labour fix~ <20sgd)

- worn compressor relay (20-30 sgd)

wah... u so detailed... i wanted to say compressor nia...

anyway, another possibility is cooling coil... if the coil is leaking, then the air is not gg to be cool...

My case is abit more complicated; up to now Lexus cannot troubleshoot the problem for me. The air-con system will blow hot air especially during hot weather and during times in heavy traffic (stop, move, stop, move).

The ' Check Air-conditioner' wording will come out and the A/C light will start blinking. Has to reset a few times, sometimes alot of time before air-con is up again.

Told me maybe compressor is unservicable (SGD$3K) or maybe the wiring system connection for Air conditioner is damaged (SGD$1K).

Ended up with a recommended air-con workshop somewhere around Upper Bukit Timah and they replaced the compressor (SGD$540) plus re-wiring (told me wiring was loose as they took out the compressor to check on the wiring cable connected to the electrical system.