C180 owners! how's the reliability of your car?

Somebody

hi everyone!

I'm considering getting myself a c180(2nd hand).

How's the car treating you? or does it have the "temperament" of conti cars, needing repair often?

thanks!

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

why dont u consider new?

dont see many good deals 2nd hand for this car

so i went for a new one instead with the facelifted model (big difference, interiors, command online)

• Praise 1

hi everyone!

How's the car treating you? or does it have the "temperament" of conti cars, needing repair often?

thanks!

My car is the C180 Kompressor, now 3 years old. I've had no problems with it since I had it in 2008.

There was only one time when the sensor in the key slot could not communicate with the Mercedes key. I heard it was quite a common problem with the C class. I sent back to Cycle and Carriage and got it fixed FOC. They sent it back within a day.

Otherwise this car is a very nice car to drive. Classy car with a comfortable drive.

• Praise 1

My bro drives a 2006 C200. He bought it second hand. Changed the engine mounting as there's sterring wheel vibration and a sort of growling noise when moving off. After changing, everything is smooth and quiet.

He also changed almost all the aircon components, costs him $2000+.

Btw, TS you never mentioned which year of C180 you want to get.

Edited by Fcw75

hi everyone!

thanks!

Since when does conti cars need repair often?? that's a misconception..I have driven only conti cars in my life and nvr had repair required for once...just replacement of normal wear and tear items..

Neutral Newbie

Serving me faithfully for the past 1yr plus. Advised to get the CGI instead of kompressor due to newer and better turbo engine!

• Praise 1

Wah, after the COE shoot up, really see a lot more C180K on the road (not the old roundish headlights version, the new one with the Merc emblem stuck to the hood).

Merc maintenance should be rather low in the continental masses. Think lots of workshop now can handle.

yes i agree. the engine been used for many years now for no issue for outside workshops. no worries for those who buy PI too.............

plus the car is reliable in the 1st place, maybe normal wear n tear replacement.

• Praise 1

Serving me faithfully for the past 1yr plus. Advised to get the CGI instead of kompressor due to newer and better turbo engine!

i find the newer engine slightly lower on the power????

hi everyone!

thanks!

go for it. nice design and relaible. however the used car price is way too high, if get a 4 year old will lose a lot once it hit 5 years no matter the coe how high. easily 30K no joke

Merc maintenance should be rather low in the continental masses. Think lots of workshop now can handle.

But I was told, between MB and BMW ADs, C&C service cost is higher than PM! Is it true?

I received my c200 from a second hand car dealer just 2 weeks ago. it is an about 2+ years old advantgarde model with the 3-point star on the grill that can be seen from google earth...haha....

just drove up north and back and am loved it. Took it to 185km/h and was stable as hell but got a darn stone chip.

I personally still believe in SC being more robust/durable than TC due to lower operating temp and turbine speeds. The newer 180 CGI is on powered by a 1.6 ltr TCed engine and I also wonder if it is a little stressed.

Was comparing a 1+ year old C180 CGI but ended up getting the older C200 coz the condition was better and mileage was lower, somehow. Tested both anyway and felt the 180 can do with a little more power. turbo lag was noticeable, notwithstanding. Nice dive also, btw.

I switched from a jap to continental and the feel is very different. ride comfort, sound insulation, safety...etc... Put it this way, I think I may have problem switching back jap in the future....

Lastly, i cannot get better than 10.5ltr/100km driving in singapore. up north I managed about 8.5ltr/100km. observations are based on on-board computer only. may not be accurate.

hi everyone!

thanks!

• Praise 1

I received my c200 from a second hand car dealer just 2 weeks ago. it is an about 2+ years old advantgarde model with the 3-point star on the grill that can be seen from google earth...haha....

just drove up north and back and am loved it. Took it to 185km/h and was stable as hell but got a darn stone chip.

I personally still believe in SC being more robust/durable than TC due to lower operating temp and turbine speeds. The newer 180 CGI is on powered by a 1.6 ltr TCed engine and I also wonder if it is a little stressed.

Was comparing a 1+ year old C180 CGI but ended up getting the older C200 coz the condition was better and mileage was lower, somehow. Tested both anyway and felt the 180 can do with a little more power. turbo lag was noticeable, notwithstanding. Nice dive also, btw.

I switched from a jap to continental and the feel is very different. ride comfort, sound insulation, safety...etc... Put it this way, I think I may have problem switching back jap in the future....

Lastly, i cannot get better than 10.5ltr/100km driving in singapore. up north I managed about 8.5ltr/100km. observations are based on on-board computer only. may not be accurate.

Hi got your fact wrong there.

All CGI version in Singapore is 1.8 liter engine (C180/C200/C250)

Only the lowest fl model is C180 1.6l Kompressor.

The only screw up C180 buyers are pre-fl model with 1.6l compressor engine, short charged by AD.

• Praise 1

But I was told, between MB and BMW ADs, C&C service cost is higher than PM! Is it true?

As a matter of fact, it is true ... I was driving the 320i and switched to the C180K. The servcing at PML is cheaper than See and See and the price at PML is similar to that that I paid for when I was driving my Civic.

Besides, the recommended service internal for BMW is 12k and for Merc is 15k ... for Japs, the service interval is usually 5 or 10k. In the long run, for servicing (Not repair), it may be cheaper for a conti. But repair/replacement cost will be hgher for a conti - for example replacement for brake pad, major repair(gearbox) etc.

But the drive from a Conti is different from a Jap and BMW and Merc are cars with superior technology compared to a Jap and IMO it is worth to pay the extra.

↡ Advertisement