No Worries, Control In Pipeline .......

Picnic06-Biante15

CNA report : Long term flood control plan in pipeline

SINGAPORE: Singapore is now at a point where it needs to embark on decades long plan for flood control infrastructure.

This is the assessment by Environment and Water Resources Minister, Dr Vivian Balakrishnan.

He said measures undertaken in the 1960s and 1970s have succeeded in easing the threat of prolonged floods, but events of the last few years have highlighted the need to improve infrastructure to cope with flash floods.

Dr Balakrishnan disclosed that in addition to reviewing the drainage system, the national water agency PUB has also commissioned an independent study to assess the possibility of a new diversionary canal off the Stamford Canal in Orchard Road, as well as a new retention pond in the same area.

But such projects are likely be costly and will have to be weighed against benefits.

But beyond building bigger drains and deploying better technology, Dr Balakrishnan said the public must also be seen as part of the solution.

This means taking their feedback and complaints seriously and encouraging them to post updates on flash floods.

He added that the volatile weather causing flash floods today can just as well result in droughts in the near future, and his greater concern is Singapore's long term water security.

The way he intends to manage this is to design a infrastructure that can be used for flood as well as drought control.

The Marina Barrage for instance flushes out rain water during a storm, while keeping it in the Marina Reservoir during a dry spell.

- CNA/ck

Hmmmm............. we need a minister to tell us that reservoir water are kept for dry spell. I think I learn this in primary school ........ :ph34r:

"He said measures undertaken in the 1960s and 1970s have succeeded in easing the threat of prolonged floods, but events of the last few years have highlighted the need to improve infrastructure to cope with flash floods".

so.......... those in the 60's are really working whereas current ones sit and wait for bonuses. so now than he realised, what yakult had doing all this while ..... [blush][blush]

Edited by Picnic06
↡ Advertisement

Long term flood control plan? Wonder by the long term flood control plan really show result, s'pore still above water or not?! [:p]

Edited by 13177

Hmmmm............. we need a minister to tell us that reservoir water are kept for dry spell. I think I learn this in primary school ........ :ph34r:

"He said measures undertaken in the 1960s and 1970s have succeeded in easing the threat of prolonged floods, but events of the last few years have highlighted the need to improve infrastructure to cope with flash floods".

so.......... those in the 60's are really working whereas current ones sit and wait for bonuses. so now than he realised, what yakult had doing all this while ..... [blush][blush]

I also want to know................. [confused] ... maybe planning his retirement in the US??

to keep water in or keep water out .... :ph34r:

Holland land is below sea water level whereas Sinkie one is 'once in 50 years' .... [:p]

if build wall. will be everyday liao [laugh]