Synthetic engine oil means longer oil change interval?

Many of us believe that using synthetic engine allow us to extend oil change interval.

The most common is " mineral oil last a 5,000km and synthetic oil last 10,000km"

how true is this?

Or actually, svc interval is the same?

↡ Advertisement

Many of us believe that using synthetic engine allow us to extend oil change interval.

The most common is " mineral oil last a 5,000km and synthetic oil last 10,000km"

how true is this?

Or actually, svc interval is the same?

It seems Korean cars got smaller cartridge oil filter, so recommended to replace oil filter every 10k km.

Some manufacturers recommended synthetic engne oil change at 20k km with their bigger cartridge oil filter.

Read many years back when synthetic engine oil was first introduced, can be used for 100k km.

My current car almost 20k km, and the engine oil colour no different from 10k km? Brand: Total 5W40 (may have better products in the market).

Edited by Good-Carbuyer

i doubt ur car will kaput because u didnt change at 10k KM when using synthetic oil.

You may be aware that the low engine oil pressure warning light does take a while longer to goes off, if the engine oil filter not replaced after 10k km, even with the use of synthetic engine oil. Source: Accent, Picanto, Getz, others to be observed.

No doubt about this.

If they have design and specify for extended svc interval with bigger filter etc, I do agree this is the correct thing t do.

The question I posed on is targetted on cars with svc interval of say 10,000km.

If I use fully synthetic, does that mean I can stretch till 15,000 km.

Many of us use synthetic oil, due to high cost of car, and other non technical reasons. We want to give TLC for our over priced car.

If car manual ats avc interval and gradea oil, why are putting in fully synthetic oil and extended svc to 10-15km

should we be having same svc intwrval for both mineral and synthetic oil.

No doubt about this.

If they have design and specify for extended svc interval with bigger filter etc, I do agree this is the correct thing t do.

The question I posed on is targetted on cars with svc interval of say 10,000km.

If I use fully synthetic, does that mean I can stretch till 15,000 km.

Many of us use synthetic oil, due to high cost of car, and other non technical reasons. We want to give TLC for our over priced car.

I did noticed after about 12,000 km interval, the low engine oil pressure warning took much longer to go off. Which I speculate to be the engine oil filter partially block/choked symptom. The synthetic engine oil can still be used after the oil filter replacement. Synthetic engine oil cost many times the oil filter. I hope this cleared your doubt.

If car manual ats avc interval and gradea oil, why are putting in fully synthetic oil and extended svc to 10-15km

should we be having same svc intwrval for both mineral and synthetic oil.

Only if mineral-based engine oil can perform like synthetic ones. Unfortunately they can not. I know mineral-based cost a fraction of synthetic. I stick to synthetic.

Besides the additives blended into either mineral or synthetic oil, both derived from similar base oil,but their manufacturing process is different

Which makes synthetic oil having higher temp stability.

However, both will encounter one common problem, from solid undissolved particles as well as dissolved chemicals and fuel.

While oil filter can block out the particles, there is a designed limit to it's capacity.

But, it cannot handle what is dissolved in the oil.

↡ Advertisement