Iluma closed for 8 months revamp

Ahtong

Opened for 2 years only and need a revamp. Really GG to them. I wonder when the 2 Centrals will also be revamped.

pc_600x450.jpg

Illuma mall in Bugis will be closed from this month for an eight-month-long revamp.

The mall is now being described as a "ghost town" by people who wander in.

When reporters spent one hour at the mall, only 25 customers were seen in the ten-storey building.

One of them, Ms Lin (22, student) said, "It's so deserted here it's like a ghost town."

Another person in the mall, Lin De Cai (15, student) said, "I'm here to eat but I didn't know the place I wanted to go to has already closed down."

The Illuma mall at Bugis opened in 2009 to much fanfare with movie theatres, theme restaurants and unusual retail stores packing its new-age designer interior.

About 70% of its tenants have since moved out, in time for its upcoming $38 million revamp.

Plans are in the works to combine the mall with the nearby Bugis Village. Works are expected to take about eight months and are estimated to be completed in the second quarter of 2012.

Another customer at the mall, Ms Lu (26, student) said, "I've always liked this mall. I hope it'll be nicer after the renovations."

Source: Shin Min Daily News, 18 November 2011. Click here for the Chinese report.

↡ Advertisement

its always very cold aircon there and not alot ppl walking..

with BJ just opposite, who wants to go there?

imho, the design of the iluma fails cos of the layout. 1 glance and you can see most of the shops are selling what item etc..

no major retailer to attract ppl too.. and village is just beside with all the cheap variety stuff..

Last time when Tampines One opened, it was people mountain people sea. Nowadays it is quite quiet. Centre of activity is still Tampines Mall.

Another strange one is Vivo. It opened in a rather dead place and became quite hustle bustle. Admittedly it is a very big mall and the developers went all out.

Maybe there really is some fengshui to it all.

Edited by Ahtong

This mall probably has the longest escalator in the world

Longest escalator should be the one running outside the walls of Orchard Central.

VVC is F packed even with all the 1000 CP lots.. thks to sentosa rail.. the ST.James nightspot..

HBF is the 1 that is in need of some reorganisation if not going to go the iluma way..

Last time when Tampines One opened, it was people mountain people sea. Nowadays it is quite quiet. Centre of activity is still Tampines Mall.

Another strange one is Vivo. It opened in a rather dead place and became quite hustle bustle. Admittedly it is a very big mall and the developers went all out.

Maybe there really is some fengshui to it all.

Suntec was dead during the first few years too! :D

Alamak....I like to go there makan leh...always got seats and dun need to wait....

My kids will miss it....

Our SOP...go up makan...then hit the ice cream which mix ice cream on stone table....then walk over to Bugis for walk walk then balek....

Also good lah...who ask them from the start charge heaven and earth price for their stupid carpark.

Parked there once...and never ever again....

Suntec was dead during the first few years too! :D

I still find Suntec very boring. [sleeping]

Right now I quite like the mall at MBS but everything is so fooking expensive.

Some other shopping centres in need of revamp:

- Wheelock

- Shopping Centre behind Lido

- Shopping centre next to OG Orchard

- @ Central

- Orchard Central

its always very cold aircon there and not alot ppl walking..

with BJ just opposite, who wants to go there?

imho, the design of the iluma fails cos of the layout. 1 glance and you can see most of the shops are selling what item etc..

no major retailer to attract ppl too.. and village is just beside with all the cheap variety stuff..

for a mall to succed, location + good shop mix + anchor tenants + carpark must be taken care of. for this mall, shop mix and anchor tenants are not well taken care of... sorry to see it fail [:(]

iluma kenna bang becos bugis junction dun connect the bridge

iluma and Bugis junction bridge are connected.

car park damn X for Iluma

Edited by Mcf777

How's the new shopping centre at Clementi? Can go?

IIRC, the old Plaza Sing was very dead. After reno, it really huat.

Edited by Ahtong

make sense for the big revamp.

by making more linkage between the Bugis junction n illuma, that will bring the crowd into the new place.

last time wasn't under the same holding company cannot do. now same, can do liao.

↡ Advertisement