IS this fair or NOT?

Scb11980

NS call up deferment rejected unfairly-any solutions?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just a quick background..

I was recently hired in the Finance department of a local Bank. As an accountant, my primary job is to ensure that the Bank's books are closed and financial statements are prepared in a timely manner. As any accountant can emphatise, the Bank is listed on the SGX and the timely completion of its December 2011 results and financial statements are of paramount importance. This is in order to ensure the timely announcement and publication of its results on its webiste per requirements.

I had been called up for my reservist training in the first week of January 2012 which is arguably the most critical period of my new employment for the aforementioned reasons. Failure to be around during that peiod would mean a likely poor apprasial and hamper future progression within the Bank. Having recognised that, I had requested my Human Resource Department to write an appeal letter. My Comanding Officer "CO" rejected this appeal. I went to see my Member of Paraliment "MP" to explain my situation. My MP was most kind to write a letter of appeal on my behalf. Unfortunately, this second appeal was rejected again by the CO. I was offered no reason nor even a basic call from the CO to discuss the matter despite repeated request through various channels (My request to be given a number to call was refused).

I had clearly stated my willingness to attend my call-up obligations at any other time of the year. MINDEF should recognise that not every Singaporean male is trying to shirk their liabilities and should seek to understand each indvidual's unique circumstances. Furthermore, if not addressed such practices are puntive to the employability of every Singaporean male and contary to the sprit of fair competion with our foreign counterparts

....having said that...after asking my HR and MP to help what else can I do? Im lost...and I REALLY cant go reservist during the period...any solution brothers?

http://talkback.stomp.com.sg/forums/showthread.php?t=122287

↡ Advertisement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was recently hired in the Finance department of a local Bank. As an accountant, my primary job is to ensure that the Bank's books are closed and financial statements are prepared in a timely manner. As any accountant can emphatise, the Bank is listed on the SGX and the timely completion of its December 2011 results and financial statements are of paramount importance. This is in order to ensure the timely announcement and publication of its results on its webiste per requirements.

I had been called up for my reservist training in the first week of January 2012 which is arguably the most critical period of my new employment for the aforementioned reasons. Failure to be around during that peiod would mean a likely poor apprasial and hamper future progression within the Bank. Having recognised that, I had requested my Human Resource Department to write an appeal letter. My Comanding Officer "CO" rejected this appeal. I went to see my Member of Paraliment "MP" to explain my situation. My MP was most kind to write a letter of appeal on my behalf. Unfortunately, this second appeal was rejected again by the CO. I was offered no reason nor even a basic call from the CO to discuss the matter despite repeated request through various channels (My request to be given a number to call was refused).

I had clearly stated my willingness to attend my call-up obligations at any other time of the year. MINDEF should recognise that not every Singaporean male is trying to shirk their liabilities and should seek to understand each indvidual's unique circumstances. Furthermore, if not addressed such practices are puntive to the employability of every Singaporean male and contary to the sprit of fair competion with our foreign counterparts

....having said that...after asking my HR and MP to help what else can I do? Im lost...and I REALLY cant go reservist during the period...any solution brothers?

take MC..

If your work doesn't affect any national projects, then a bit difficult to argue 'cos the ICT notice was given 6 mths notice. If all companies also appeal to defer, then how to carry on NS?

So far my unit last time only let new hires or jobs on national project to defer. My friend working on the NEL and company need his "expertise" badly and he was given deferment.

My another NS mate working in MHA also lan lan need to attend ICT.... [laugh]

Pass the 2nd rejection letter to your MP to let him know your CO no give face...

Other than that...LPPL go lor...you have shown your present employer that you have tried to be around but was flatly rejected.

Go back unit and give problem lor....report sick everyday.... [:p]

If new employment, first 6 months can defer I think. mAybe you can work on this.

By the way, have you spoken personally to your CO? I also have deferment letter rejected before , & I then spoke directy to my CO. Just be calm & if he is understanding, it may be alright. CO recieve tonnes of deferment letter every in camp, so its not unusual for him to ignore your deferment letter.

Give it a shot, I would say.

By the way, I hope you did not put this in your appeal letter, if so, I can fully understand why your Co will ignore your deferment.

"Failure to be around during that peiod would mean a likely poor apprasial and hamper future progression within the Bank."

I can understand you stand but this is very weak statement. Its shows everything is about "You". Everyone make scrifice to go incamp, what make your appeal so special?

You should focus on telling your Co, that the bank need your present (thats true right) urgently during this period, & no one can replace you currently at the company. It may affact the company significantly if they did not manage to get the things done dur to your absent. Alternatively, you can seek for time off to help out in your comany.

Edited by Kiadaw

then how to go back to work in the bank

self pawn

u think they bother to check?

last time i 2 months MC, my superior only came one week before christmas..

can la

:D I am not sure whether it work this way. U can go directly to AMK's meet the people session and try your luck there. Probably stand a higher chance.

How about writing directly to Mindef instead of your own reservist unit for the appeal.

You can try the link below.

:D

http://www.mindef.gov.sg/imindef/resources/faqs/faqmfu.html

MINDEF Feedback Unit

Q1: What sort of services does the MINDEF Feedback Unit provide?

Q2: Is there any way in which I can contact MFU before or after office hours?

Q3: How do I book for my IPPT? Whom can I contact regarding IPPT matters?

Q4: I would like to notify the SAF about my overseas leave. Whom should I call?

Q5: I've lost the number to my unit.

Q6: I have a complaint against an SAF driver.

Q7: Whom should I contact for enquiries/requests regarding:

------a. NS liability,

------b. NS registration and enlistment,

------c. Passports and exit permits,

------d. Deferment and exemption as well as

------e. Medical status?

Q8: I have some concerns regarding SAF training. Is there a platform for me to voice them?

Q9: I have some suggestions on how to improve my Unit's administration. Whom can I contact?

Q10: Does MFU require any information from me in order to process my feedback?

Q11: How will I know of the results of any request / enquiry / complaint that I have made?

Q12: What types of feedback does MFU handle?

Edited by Kopites

then how to go back to work in the bank

self pawn

if its a high key, 2days of MC at the start will 'qualify' you for a makeup ICT.

most CO will be kind enough if you explain your reasons for wanting a deferment.

Is this your first deferment or too many deferment previously? I think CO is also human, if you have a reason which you did, i am sure there is room for negotiation. Request to talk to him even on the first day of booking in.I rmb my during my ICT, there are some who will still come in on the first day and spent the morning talking to OC and CSM, not CO and he go home by 10am after that with a deferment. Our OC is also reservist and so more understanding. I guess to him, if you want to defer, defer loh but when we all ROD, you still be called back as this is national debt, cannot run one. I cleared my "debt" as i got called back the following year right after NS and i go back every year affter my uni exam till i started working. Good thing if not now too old to cheong sua.

On the bright side, local bank apprasial is usually from Jan till Nov so i guess even if you are not around for the first 2 weeks, as long as you perform well into the end of the year, you still get good apprasial. Moreover, if your unit is not too siong with outfield, you can still go back to office when you book out or take off to show your boss how ON and responsible you are. Also your boss knows you appealed twice so its not you "keng" from work.

Also your CO might also think that 3rd week of Jan is chinese new year so every deferment letter that comes in, he has another thinking of his own.

CO probably received many deferments during Jan 2012 period until scared.

Many people KENG because Jan in Chinese New Year...

You suay never apply faster than others...

ATEC!!!.................no deferment allowed...................who ask also no use............ :D :D :D

solution..............in pro............than speak to OC or CO...............make arrangement within unit..............

ATEC turn up manpower not enough............ATEC fail!!!!............. [:)] [:)]

Is this your first deferment or too many deferment previously? I think CO is also human, if you have a reason which you did, i am sure there is room for negotiation. Request to talk to him even on the first day of booking in.I rmb my during my ICT, there are some who will still come in on the first day and spent the morning talking to OC and CSM, not CO and he go home by 10am after that with a deferment. Our OC is also reservist and so more understanding. I guess to him, if you want to defer, defer loh but when we all ROD, you still be called back as this is national debt, cannot run one. I cleared my "debt" as i got called back the following year right after NS and i go back every year affter my uni exam till i started working. Good thing if not now too old to cheong sua.

On the bright side, local bank apprasial is usually from Jan till Nov so i guess even if you are not around for the first 2 weeks, as long as you perform well into the end of the year, you still get good apprasial. Moreover, if your unit is not too siong with outfield, you can still go back to office when you book out or take off to show your boss how ON and responsible you are. Also your boss knows you appealed twice so its not you "keng" from work.

Also your CO might also think that 3rd week of Jan is chinese new year so every deferment letter that comes in, he has another thinking of his own.

i beg to differ from CO is also human... sometimes when suay suay kana idiot CO and dun even bother to read ur deferment and straight away reject... in short, ICT is also another waste of time but not as wasteful as the 2yrs NSF and IPPT...

i do decide and had received many deferment letters from the soldiers.

from your point, i will also reject.

why? we are talking about serving national service. everyone do their part and you are thinking of self-appraisal here?

if all of my soldiers think like you, everyone can go for a good deferment..

don't have to threaten your CO using MP letter, please!

and i find it rather weird that your MP is willing to write for your case.

Anyway, Kiadaw's idea is good.

give your CO a friendly call and talk to him nicely!

good luck.

i do decide and had received many deferment letters from the soldiers.

from your point, i will also reject.

why? we are talking about serving national service. everyone do their part and you are thinking of self-appraisal here?

if all of my soldiers think like you, everyone can go for a good deferment..

don't have to threaten your CO using MP letter, please!

and i find it rather weird that your MP is willing to write for your case.

Anyway, Kiadaw's idea is good.

give your CO a friendly call and talk to him nicely!

good luck.

hi thanks for the advice

but that complain was taken from a forum and not from me

i personally have not asked for any deferment because for me it is time to

EAT SNAKE

my in-camp is always fun because my army buddies all from different walks of life

i got one hawker but he introduce himself as businessman, he earns more than any of us

just selling drinks

he said he cannot understand why people want to drink color and sugar water

his profit is unbelieveable

he also said during his father's time, they added "addictive" drugs into their drink

but now cannot

he explains something like MSG in our food

↡ Advertisement