Giving up my son's Singapore Passport

Jasonjst

Seem like now a day, it become a disincentive to be a Singaporean?

Recently survey show less than 50% of PR willing to take up the Red PP, now we have people trying all means to give up? Is it more difficult to give up the Red PP then to acquire one?

http://forums.asiaone.com/showthread.php?t=44815

Hi,

My family (me, wife and my 8 year old son) hold Singapore passports and we have migrated to another country and we will soon be eligible to get the foreign country passport as it allows dual citizenship.

We have decided that my son will not do the NS. Hence my son will give up his Singapore passport. But my wife and I want to keep Singapore passports.

Do you know if Singapore government will allow us to give up only my son's passport ? Do you know any such cases and their outcome ? Any feedback will help as I can't check with ICA for obvious reasons

thanks

↡ Advertisement

Quitters.

Article didnt mention is Singaporean or those FTs leh . If they are all Singaporean , then they are Quitters . But it they are those FTs , it is a norm mah , most smarter FTs will be doing it lor . [:p]

Edited by Jasonjst

Seem like now a day, it become a disincentive to be a Singaporean?

Recently survey show less than 50% of PR willing to take up the Red PP, now we have people trying all means to give up? Is it more difficult to give up the Red PP then to acquire one?

http://forums.asiaone.com/showthread.php?t=44815

Hi,

My family (me, wife and my 8 year old son) hold Singapore passports and we have migrated to another country and we will soon be eligible to get the foreign country passport as it allows dual citizenship.

We have decided that my son will not do the NS. Hence my son will give up his Singapore passport. But my wife and I want to keep Singapore passports.

Do you know if Singapore government will allow us to give up only my son's passport ? Do you know any such cases and their outcome ? Any feedback will help as I can't check with ICA for obvious reasons

thanks

They must have given a lot of thought to come to this decision.

Who knows?

Their decision may be right afterall.

And in years to come their beloved child may come back here as a highly-regarded FT [wave]

That will be the ultimate irony.

We come from a generation of quitters, from China I mean. So naturally the descendants will do the same.

believe its of a different case. most come not because they quit china to a easier place. most come because their family are hungry back in their home land and they come to make a living with hope of going back to china when all are well... then the unexpected happen and china close door, so they cannot go back. [sweatdrop]

They must have given a lot of thought to come to this decision.

Who knows?

Their decision may be right afterall.

And in years to come their beloved child may come back here as a highly-regarded FT [wave]

That will be the ultimate irony.

There isn't much incentive to be singaporeans. Places in schools are given to FT, HDB flats are sold to FT, jobs are given to FT. Basically the only rights we have is we get to vote every 5 years. Not really something that excites.

I can understand why they want to give up their son's citizenship. Why waste the time protecting the FTs when you can come back as FT to get protected instead.

There isn't much incentive to be singaporeans. Places in schools are given to FT, HDB flats are sold to FT, jobs are given to FT. Basically the only rights we have is we get to vote every 5 years. Not really something that excites.

I can understand why they want to give up their son's citizenship. Why waste the time protecting the FTs when you can come back as FT to get protected instead.

I would say the disincentives out weight the incentives. Example , while you are doing NS and reservist, FTs happily gain more grounds and experience. While we work until 65 and maybe beyond 85 , FTs happily retire at 50s back in their kampong , with their rich CPF and rental from their HDB. [:p]

If just only because of one NS reason to give up the son's passport, they are rather shortsighted.

There are a lot of countries in this world. Singapore can't be the best - I'm sure they must have weighed the pros and cons of the decision.

The reason why people leave is because they can and because they have no emotional connection to the place. No matter what the government does, they will not be able to recreate Singapore as paradise on earth.

If you want to get people to stay, you have to figure out how make them feel emotionally attached to the place and not appeal to cold logic.

The only incentive is NS [:p]

We come from a generation of quitters, from China I mean. So naturally the descendants will do the same.

No. Our forefathers left China due chaos and crisis.of course some left with silvery spoon waiting for them in Singapore.

my grandfather came in search of job and made it, only to be swindles by relatives.

That is your assumption that they are Chinese.

There are a lot of countries in this world. Singapore can't be the best - I'm sure they must have weighed the pros and cons of the decision.

The reason why people leave is because they can and because they have no emotional connection to the place. No matter what the government does, they will not be able to recreate Singapore as paradise on earth.

If you want to get people to stay, you have to figure out how make them feel emotionally attached to the place and not appeal to cold logic.

Thought we happier than Bhutan? And Bhutan is onf of the most happy place in the world?

We have Swiss style living and eternal happiness seem like the same place in the world

put it this way lah , if his son immigrated to a new country and bred in that country for a considerable number of years, I doubt he will have any feelings for singapore lah...if so just renounce his singapore citizenship loh.

ya ....it is lame to renounce just to escape NS. dont understand the mentality....hundred of thousands of singaporean male have done it....whats so scary about NS? as SAF is moving into 3G blar blar blar....next generation of NSF will probably be playing with gadgets in aircon rooms instead of chonging mountain in the F**king hot sun.

Thought we happier than Bhutan? And Bhutan is onf of the most happy place in the world?

We have Swiss style living and eternal happiness seem like the same place in the world

In Singapore, the only happy index is money index. Everything else is crap talk.

↡ Advertisement