What wrong with MOE???

Ask98

Supercharged

MOE to train student groups in all schools to spot distress in their peers

The Ministry of Education (MOE) will train a core group of students in each school to help them identify signs of distress in their peers and offer basic social and emotional support starting from this year, said Minister of State for Education Janil Putucheary in Parliament on Tuesday (7 March).

These peer supporters can raise awareness of mental health issues among their fellow students and help engender a “culture of support and resilience”, wherein students are willing to seek help, he added.

Such training and experience will also offer a “unique development opportunity” for the students involved to hone their empathetic listening, interpersonal and communication skills.

Putucheary was responding to a question from Tampines GRC MP Cheng Li Hui on MOE’s involvement in NurtureSG and its ongoing efforts “to build healthy bodies and healthy minds” during the Committee of Supply (COS) debate on the ministry’s 2017 Budget.

Announced during the MOE’s 2016 COS debate, NurtureSG is a plan for enhancing health outcomes among Singapore’s youth and is jointly led by Putucheary as well as Minister of State for Health Lam Pin Min.

Touching on how older students in particular play a vital role in fostering a caring and supportive school environment, Putucheary pointed to how some schools have already taken the lead in developing and strengthening their own peer support networks.

“We hope to build on this good work and establish the practice across our school system,” he said.

Acknowledging that there is no single solution to the underlying problem behind mental health issues, Putucheary said that one of the NurtureSG taskforce’s recommendations would be to set up an interagency work group on youth suicide.

The group will be led by Professor Daniel Fung of the Institute of Mental Health, he said, adding that he is confident that its findings will be “instructive”.

what the hell is going on inside MOE these days since this ng cs becomes the edu minister !!!

[hur] :a-bang:  [crazy]  [grin]  [confused]  

seriously? what are they smoking in that tower of theirs?

fellow students in general have the mental maturity to handle this kinda things? on top of worrying about their own grades, own homework, these students now need to bear the responsibilities to be psychology counselors as well?!?

wow... talk about cutting cost! need to go until so low to be cheap or not? TMD!  :yuush:

↡ Advertisement

Overall , I think Ng CM's policy is in the right direction to 'de-elitize' hot schools, especially with the tweaking of the DSA criteria. Although it doesn't favor my daughter who is not really a sport, or CCA inclined student, but it is show they are listening. The parents before didn't want academic achievement to weigh heavily on DSA selection criteria as it defeat the purpose of DSA being holistic.

We should give the policy 2 or 3 years before judging the minister.

this is what I called "blinded". . . . . 

2016 faced the highest DSA applications resulting in just slight lowered benchmarks (<2 marks) to the top secondary schools.

so, DSA is just a gimmick to fool parents thinking their children with astonishing curriculums can get into schools of higher entry grades!

DSA also weighs students' PSLE score in priority!!!

else, I wonder if there's anyone here can prove to me that he/she has children who managed to enter into school with a much lower PSLE result, mererly secured from DSA! 

Anyone???

FYI - all primary schools now gotta established separate Math class to match the aggregate scoring boards simply last few years'PSLE prevailed that Maths standard has bee raised tremendously - resulted a passing mark at 60 & above !

Wake up!

we dun judge minister, we see from the results

and the result is "what wrong with MOE?" as per thread!

Turbocharged
(edited)

Personally i don't think this DSA criteria change will help. Just think about it, if the child's academics are not able to match up to the standards of the top school that he/she got in via DSA in sports or whatever, then that child is going to suffer. Unless got special class for them lah.

Edited by Sosaria

Hypersonic
(edited)

this is what I called "blinded". . . . . 

2016 faced the highest DSA applications resulting in just slight lowered benchmarks (<2 marks) to the top secondary schools.

so, DSA is just a gimmick to fool parents thinking their children with astonishing curriculums can get into schools of higher entry grades!

else, I wonder if there's anyone here can prove to me that he/she has children who managed to enter into school with a much lower PSLE result, mererly secured from DSA! 

Anyone???

FYI - all primary schools now gotta established separate Math class to match the aggregate scoring boards simply last few years'PSLE prevailed that Maths standard has bee raised tremendously - resulted a passing mark at 60 & above !

Wake up!

we dun judge minister, we see from the results

and the result is "what wrong with MOE?" as per thread!

You don't know how the DSA process goes about. The DSA do not weigh heavily on the student PSLE score. Most schools once accepted the child thru DSA, the minimum they need for PSLE is 200 for express class.  e.g. if RI accepts the student  after considering his P5 and mid year P6 scores, his interview, and in house test. He will be accepted even before the PSLE score is release.  So the student just need to score 200. I have heard of cases that those accepted via sports into elite school tends not to have stella PSLE aggregate compare to those accepted via academic.

Do you know RI suppose to be  6 years IP programme and along the way they have to formed a 'O' level classes because a number of students cannot cope with the vigorous IP programme. Most of these  students happens to be DSA entry via SPORTS. 

I think you need to know more about DSA before judging too harshly. At this moment there are DSA via CCA and via academic.. Ng CM is trying to reduce the via academic portion, and increase the places via CCA.

I have gone thru the DSA exercise with my son, hence I knew what it is all about.. He would have gone into one of the elite school if he  accepted the offer. But we are glad he didn't as he knows he couldn't cope with the vigor of the IP programme, and his PSLE score was way below the official cut-off point.  He would have be left behind and may affect his moral if the rest of the class knew his score was way below the school's average. The point here is once the school had accepted the student via DSA, he will get in despite having a lower than school average. As mention before, as long as 200 and above, he will get in.

Edited by Ender
  • Praise 3

Hypersonic
(edited)

Personally i don't think this DSA criteria change will help. Just think about it, if the child's academics are not able to match up to the standards of the top school that he/she got in via DSA in sports or whatever, then that child is going to suffer. Unless got special class for them lah.

Wouldn't this achieve the aim of 'de-elitse' hot school.. i.e more mix of student of different calibre, hence lowering the overall standard of an elite school.. 

And with the banding of  PSLE, top PSLE scorer may not get into the school of his or her 1st choice, and end up in a 2nd or 3rd tier hot school school. As the number of top student ended in 3rd tier hot school would this be more evenly match to a 1st tier elite school who are accpeting lower grades PSLE scorer?

Edited by Ender

I think this is in line with what many have been asking for, that some kids are late 开窍 but have talent in other areas.

You don't know how the DSA process goes about. The DSA do not weigh heavily on the student PSLE score. Most schools once accepted the child thru DSA, the minimum they need for PSLE is 200 for express class.  e.g. if RI accepts the student  after considering his P5 and mid year P6 scores, his interview, and in house test. He will be accepted even before the PSLE score is release.  So the student just need to score 200. I have heard of cases that those accepted via sports into elite school tends not to have stella PSLE aggregate compare to those accepted via academic.

Do you know RI suppose to be  6 years IP programme and along the way they have to formed a 'O' level classes because a number of students cannot cope with the vigorous IP programme. Most of these  students happens to be DSA entry via SPORTS. 

I think you need to know more about DSA before judging too harshly. At this moment there are DSA via CCA and via academic.. Ng CM is trying to reduce the via academic portion, and increase the places via CCA.

I have gone thru the DSA exercise with my son, hence I knew what it is all about.. He would have gone into one of the elite school if he  accepted the offer. But we are glad he didn't as he knows he couldn't cope with the vigor of the IP programme, and his PSLE score was way below the official cut-off point.  He would have be left behind and may affect his moral if the rest of the class knew his score was way below the school's average. The point here is once the school had accepted the student via DSA, he will get in despite having a lower than school average. As mention before, as long as 200 and above, he will get in.

in short, there's still no real success example here that claims a student gotten into sec. school due to DSA where the entry PSLE score is way above the student's actual, ha!  btw, its Ng CS . . . .

let me tell you the real naked truth here!

200 marks the line bet. normal & express streams in many sec school (2016's lowered to 197 based on entries statistics)

if you insist your boy into that sec school via DSA, he will be put into normal stream while he could go for express in another - you ok with that?

most sec school hardly take such risk after weighing P5's result to grant entry via DSA less there's normal class available in it.

even if you insisted and got in,  the school will give up along in sec 2 if the academic remains if there's no fantastic results from his DSA

isn't it back to Square 1 ?????

pls also note that the above underlined spelled the whole lots of contradictions from your "beliefs" ..... Keep going.

Edited by A_korusawa

Wah! You got inside knowledge!

totally agreed!  the kid will be asked to transfer into sports school or others for interim storage from those very top elite schoos if there's no fantastic results from his/her DSA while fails to meet with schools standards.  

so you see . . . .  " what wrong with MOE" as the thread goes here.....

btw, my posts here are NOT targeting at the students as some say they could be late boomers or whatsoever miracle comes.

my point here . . . . MOE, after Ng took over as edu minister does not seem to improve but rather continuing deteoriating and buffing up misbeliefs to the public and parents.

It is MOE, not IMH..... for God's sake

stick back into the teaching cohorts to better measure the quality of teachings from the schools and teachers

the least MOE should reflect themselves in how they managed these schools leaderships and behaviors, the completeness of teaching etc. 

FYI: Schools have to commit to accept student through DSA by August, way before they take their PSLE.

totally agreed!  the kid will be asked to transfer into sports school or others for interim storage from those very top elite schoos if there's no fantastic results from his/her DSA while fails to meet with schools standards.  

so you see . . . .  " what wrong with MOE" as the thread goes here.....

FYI: It is extremely rare and difficult to transfer students out of a school if they are admitted into the school via DSA.

If a child is given an offer to a elite school via DSA, he only needs to meet the express stream PSLE score of about 188. That means if you are admitted to ACSI, RI or RGS for 'O' Level track and you get an 188 for PSLE, you will still retain your place in those schools. MOE does not allow DSA student movement easily. That means, if you get 188 for PSLE and you want to go to another 'normal' school even though you are given a place in RI, you cannot transfer also.

in short, there's still no real success example here that claims a student gotten into sec. school due to DSA where the entry PSLE score is way above the student's actual, ha!  btw, its Ng CS . . . .

let me tell you the real naked truth here!

200 marks the line bet. normal & express streams in many sec school (2016's lowered to 197 based on entries statistics)

if you insist your boy into that sec school via DSA, he will be put into normal stream while he could go for express in another - you ok with that?

most sec school hardly take such risk after weighing P5's result to grant entry via DSA less there's normal class available in it.

even if you insisted and got in,  the school will give up along in sec 2 if the academic remains if there's no fantastic results from his DSA

isn't it back to Square 1 ?????

pls also note that the above underlined spelled the whole lots of contradictions from your "beliefs" ..... Keep going.

FYI: There are many cases of students who got into a school who has a much lower PSLE result that the cutoff point of the school.

I can say this with confidence because I have access to this information. 

There is no strong correlation between P5 results and PSLE because of the differing examination standards and students' cognitive development. That is a straight As student may not get the same results in PSLE. Therefore there is indeed some risk involved.

In elite schools, there are no NA or NT streams, so once you get >188, you are in express stream.

Schools giving up on students have nothing to do with DSA but the professionalism of the schools.

FYI: There are many cases of students who got into a school who has a much lower PSLE result that the cutoff point of the school.

I can say this with confidence because I have access to this information. 

There is no strong correlation between P5 results and PSLE because of the differing examination standards and students' cognitive development. That is a straight As student may not get the same results in PSLE. Therefore there is indeed some risk involved.

In elite schools, there are no NA or NT streams, so once you get >188, you are in express stream.

Schools giving up on students have nothing to do with DSA but the professionalism of the schools.

Urm, there are primarily Gper classes and non-gper classes.  Though they will be mixed when they go into Year 3 onwards.

FYI: Schools have to commit to accept student through DSA by August, way before they take their PSLE.

simple..... you can easily find out the PSLE aggregate score boards across all sec schools, see for yourself the huge gaps in the entry bands

ask yourself if DSA has been impemented for some years now w/o considering academic excellences but strictly by the CCAs achievements

then why aren't there a mix into neighbouring schools with so-called top or elite schools???

" In elite schools, there are no NA or NT streams, so once you get >188, you are in express stream. " 

where are the real examples !!!

also, why did Joseph S has to pay and go overseas since he oledi excels in his primary school days . . . .

you are just like reading the 2017's budget where Heng says Grants to be given for all 3, 4, 5 rooms buyers regardless of new or re-sales.

not knowing the fact that owners gotta return each & every cents PLUS interest on the grants upon sale of the units

not to mention the price of HDB price now has continuing to balloon (its records at 25% quarterly jumps during 2006 - 2010!)

and worst! materials in constructions (sand, concrete, metals etc.) were invoiced 10-20yrs back under LKY/KBK far-sighted policies.......

this is what I called ....... "blinding" public and parents into such beliefs....

as I kept quoting here as per thread: What wrong with MOE?

I'm strictly looking at the resultants from MO'E' - stick back into its core on education instead of coming up with nonsense one after another to blind ppl like you and the rest !!!

if you insist, continue with your beliefs then.... ignorance is blessing though

Edited by A_korusawa
  • Praise 1

Wah! You got inside knowledge!

No inside knowledge. You attend school dsa briefing and all info are in the moe website. As for o level class in ri, it was on the news.

I think ignorance is bliss is more apt for you.

The PSLE cutoff you see for all the school do not include DSA students' results.

Let me give you an example from NUS high. It is an IP school that requires students with 250 and above for PSLE to join them, post PSLE stage. Yet, there are also students with 220+ in their school.

I cannot show you actual examples because that will be a breach to confidential information that no schools will share openly. What you have is published data. What I have is real data. 

There is nothing nonsense about DSA. In the past, if you score 250 and the school you want to go to has a cutoff point of 251, you are out of luck. Now with DSA, you have a chance. 

The initiative becomes a problem because some parents see DSA as an opportunity for their child with <200 PSLE score to go RI/ACSI/HCI etc and they get angry and cry foul when their child got rejected from the process.

I duno about Joseph Schooling but I know the level of coaching and training in SG cannot hope to match the standard overseas. 

The truth is you are reading from news paper, articles and internet sources but I hold the actual data and runs the DSA related programmes. 

simple..... you can easily find out the PSLE aggregate score boards across all sec schools, see for yourself the huge gaps in the entry bands

ask yourself if DSA has been impemented for some years now w/o considering academic excellences but strictly by the CCAs achievements

then why aren't there a mix into neighbouring schools with so-called top or elite schools???

" In elite schools, there are no NA or NT streams, so once you get >188, you are in express stream. " 

where are the real examples !!!

also, why did Joseph S has to pay and go overseas since he oledi excels in his primary school days . . . .

you are just like reading the 2017's budget where Heng says Grants to be given for all 3, 4, 5 rooms buyers regardless of new or re-sales.

not knowing the fact that owners gotta return each & every cents PLUS interest on the grants upon sale of the units

not to mention the price of HDB price now has continuing to balloon (its records at 25% quarterly jumps during 2006 - 2010!)

and worst! materials in constructions (sand, concrete, metals etc.) were invoiced 10-20yrs back under LKY/KBK far-sighted policies.......

this is what I called ....... "blinding" public and parents into such beliefs....

as I kept quoting here as per thread: What wrong with MOE?

I'm strictly looking at the resultants from MO'E' - stick back into its core on education instead of coming up with nonsense one after another to blind ppl like you and the rest !!!

if you insist, continue with your beliefs then.... ignorance is blessing though

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4