Starting an IT career path (Advice)

Dojon

Hi guys,

I am graduating soon and are looking for jobs already... got a couple of interviews and some pending ones coming...

My doubt is whether, as an IT personnel, to start from a state board job or a non-state board one would probably be more beneficial for me future career status.

All I have been hearing is that starts from a private firm and progress on to the government sector will be the best. However, I dun quite understand 'best'. From my perspective, if i were to start anywhere, the next job I'd hopped to will definitely pay more than my last salary. The question is whether I am allowed to ask for a larger raise if I jumped from a private firm to a government sector firm ?

If the raise in salary for the next job is constant in the equation then perhaps starting in a government firm would be the choice since it yield a higher starting salary.

Any advice from some of the bros already in the industry ?

Thanks !

↡ Advertisement

Hi guys,

I am graduating soon and are looking for jobs already... got a couple of interviews and some pending ones coming...

My doubt is whether, as an IT personnel, to start from a state board job or a non-state board one would probably be more beneficial for me future career status.

All I have been hearing is that starts from a private firm and progress on to the government sector will be the best. However, I dun quite understand 'best'. From my perspective, if i were to start anywhere, the next job I'd hopped to will definitely pay more than my last salary. The question is whether I am allowed to ask for a larger raise if I jumped from a private firm to a government sector firm ?

If the raise in salary for the next job is constant in the equation then perhaps starting in a government firm would be the choice since it yield a higher starting salary.

Any advice from some of the bros already in the industry ?

Thanks !

government sector boils down to your qualifications.. it would be good if you have good honours, at least 2nd upper when joining government sector. else you won't stand a chance of shining in government sector

anyway, IT is a dead industry... one call away, you have many FT from india, philip and etc...

welcome to this stagnant industry. [:p]

Its good to starts off with SME..then go to GLC... then to stats board through recommendation... IT industry is so huge..many areas to explore..but all are infested with FT... even GLC also not spared... [laugh]

Its an industry you will survive but cant get rich unlike property or finance/banking [;)] However, if u are hard-working, offer advises and learn it humbly with colleagues. U will continue to venture far, normally u can 'hop' thru ex-colleagues or friends' recommendation.

I advanced my career this way... struggle few years, get some cert, learn as much as possible... then doors will start knocking onto you. [:)] Remember, be humble and receptive to new technology.. i quite stubborn in this area.. [laugh]

If you are the 'studious' type, like my ex-colleague got CISA,CISSP,MBA,PMP, and many others.... u can jump to mgn very fast, especially in banking sectors... my ex-colleague told me.. if u cant beat the FT, join them...get as many cert as possible.. [laugh]

Turbocharged

TS, sorry if i appear to be pouring cold water on you but you will be competing with alot of FT unless you have a very good degree. My neighbor become a property agent after 5 yrs working with a local telco. kena out compete with FT......

welcome to this stagnant industry. [:p]

Its good to starts off with SME..then go to GLC... then to stats board through recommendation... IT industry is so huge..many areas to explore..but all are infested with FT... even GLC also not spared... [laugh]

Its an industry you will survive but cant get rich unlike property or finance/banking [;)] However, if u are hard-working, offer advises and learn it humbly with colleagues. U will continue to venture far, normally u can 'hop' thru ex-colleagues or friends' recommendation.

I advanced my career this way... struggle few years, get some cert, learn as much as possible... then doors will start knocking onto you. [:)] Remember, be humble and receptive to new technology.. i quite stubborn in this area.. [laugh]

If you are the 'studious' type, like my ex-colleague got CISA,CISSP,MBA,PMP, and many others.... u can jump to mgn very fast, especially in banking sectors... my ex-colleague told me.. if u cant beat the FT, join them...get as many cert as possible.. [laugh]

Thanks alot !

Think your reply is the most relevant one to me...

Yeah... I got to know all the things that you guys are trying to tell me about this growing yet common industry... I am not those noob noob students who just study and study to pull through... I have been in constant contact with people who are already in... but due to competitive and sensitive reasons... they couldn't reveal too much to me...

So am I right to conclude that the raise margine is a constant? If so, wouldn't joining the state board the wiser choice of all?

For example, If I strive well in private firm and I couldn't possibly ask for a say 1k raise, in order to match the pay if I would have start from state board, right?

Regarding the switching of career line, I think it would be more of a risk to start something that I have minimal or no knowledge of than something I have been good at for the past 7 years right?

Neutral Newbie

to TS, forget about IT job, it's a s--t job now. if u r a Singaporean, quit this idea to prevent doing a u-turn during your career.

u need to be 24/7 standby for some roles. don't bring work beyond working hours.

my advise is to go learn actionscript, html 5, javascript and any new web technologies. Be very good at them. Such ppl are in demand. Will help if you have a some design sense.

to TS, forget about IT job, it's a s--t job now. if u r a Singaporean, quit this idea to prevent doing a u-turn during your career.

u need to be 24/7 standby for some roles. don't bring work beyond working hours.

So I spend time and money to get a degree to just to change job ? Wah... too extreme liao lah... haha

government sector boils down to your qualifications.. it would be good if you have good honours, at least 2nd upper when joining government sector. else you won't stand a chance of shining in government sector

anyway, IT is a dead industry... one call away, you have many FT from india, philip and etc...

i agree that if you don't have a good honours degree, you should look to the private sector instead, as you will be marginalised by those with better qualifications if in the public sector...

But so long as you do have good credentials and prove yourself, you should not be competing with the FT as by then, you should be their managers.

TS, sorry if i appear to be pouring cold water on you but you will be competing with alot of FT unless you have a very good degree. My neighbor become a property agent after 5 yrs working with a local telco. kena out compete with FT......

Honours degree also demoralised after a year on the job. Government job even worse career advancement. No time for MSc. study if short-handed. No Msc. limited advancement. FT in IT department undo recovery work done. How?

THats one reason my nephew now wants to quit. He is back up for entire IT department (he can trouble-shoot better than his senors/supervisors, so always on standby).

So I spend time and money to get a degree to just to change job ? Wah... too extreme liao lah... haha

Its now or never. Tomorrow will be too late. Now my nephew learning though mistake about wrong career choice.

its true... sick also call...overseas if urgent also call... if u into servers and u are the admin for critical systems.... and some network + co-ordinations... and projects and also operations... u are always 24/7 which i'm now... just claim OT ..boh bian... u are the expert...and also depends on how many areas u are specialize in...manager/snr mgn will drop u calls for advises.. the only time i'm find it peaceful is to get to remote island where there's no signal, spend time with my wife... [laugh]

IT is to make yourself indispensable as much as u cant be replaced by FT... very tiring hor... I presume u are into engineering position. If you into IT industry and co. dont pay u OT... dont join...cos IT is 24/7!!! [laugh]

Its now or never. Tomorrow will be too late. Now my nephew learning though mistake about wrong career choice.

cannot... we need more hardworking locals.... if not, the entire industry will be taken over by FT...

cannot... we need more hardworking locals.... if not, the entire industry will be taken over by FT...

Then how is he going to get married? How to find time to do his MSc. forareer advancement? How to make babies...?

↡ Advertisement