How often do I need to change tyres and battery?

Majordan

Message added by kobayashiGT

674381796_WhatsAppImage2020-10-21at8_56_52AM.thumb.jpeg.a7cff1349ce64806094384dc3ab1e1d3.jpeg

These are all the problem you could be facing when you didn't properly maintain your tyres!

Dry battery cells now no longer last as long as they used to be years back. Mine less than 2 years with daily usage.

↡ Advertisement

Dry battery cells now no longer last as long as they used to be years back. Mine less than 2 years with daily usage.

most of the batteries sold in our market call maintenance free are all wet battery (not dry not dry)

only as named no maintenance is required because it sealed(infact you cant add water)

my understanding in our market , most of these last average 18 months

some is shorter some longer.

depending of car and usage , car like ( I heard ) estima / cefiro /alphard only +- 12 months

and those battery mounted behind truck will generally last longer

Hi all, I'm going to change tire for the first time...just want to check do the worn out tires have any trade in value? Or I should just leave it to tire shop for disposal?

Thanks for advise

Hi all, I'm going to change tire for the first time...just want to check do the worn out tires have any trade in value? Or I should just leave it to tire shop for disposal?

Thanks for advise

as much value as used condoms

Thanks for advise

I think I am not in the position to answer your 2 questions

you have to ask the shop which you patronizing (you 2 are the dealing parties)

I supposed the used or old tyres is your property, so you may have to pay them to dispose them otherwise they may ask you to take back

Dry batteries are mostly valve regulated lead acid batteries (VRLA battery). If a car is parked mostly at open car park, daily mileage is long, eg >80km daily, coupled with higher alternator voltage, >14.2V, VRLA will not last long . Because it would dry up prematurely due to overcharging. In this case , flooded lead acid battery is better as you could top up with battery water or deionized water (DI water). But even flooded lead acid battery is used, under the same condition, the battery will last only 2 years. For VRLA 1 year 6 months or less.

If all these conditions are not present at all, it is not uncommon to see a flooded battery lasts for 4 years. Take note after 2 years, frequent top up is needed.

There are simple steps to verify roughly the battery would last for another 3 months if you have a simple voltmeter:

1. Engine off, it should be 12.4 to 12.8V. If less than 12.2V, replace battery sooner. If it's only 10V, most likely battery will refuse to start engine as 1 cell is dead (there are 6 cells in a battery).

2. Start engine, just idling, no air con and lighting etc, it should be 13.6 to 14.4V..... Your alternator is charging normally.

3. Engine off, turn on normal beam head light, let the battery discharge for 3 mins while measuring.

A new battery would likely discharge to 12.1V and start to rebound to 12.2V and hold there for very long. A weak battery would discharge to 11.8V and never rebound but hold for a while then continue to drop. Change it sooner. An in between battery would rebound at 12.0V and hold there for quite long. The key word is rebound.

4. Off head light, put back the positive cap and keep your voltmeter.

• Praise 1

Dry batteries are mostly valve regulated lead acid batteries (VRLA battery). If a car is parked mostly at open car park, daily mileage is long, eg >80km daily, coupled with higher alternator voltage, >14.2V, VRLA will not last long . Because it would dry up prematurely due to overcharging. In this case , flooded lead acid battery is better as you could top up with battery water or deionized water (DI water). But even flooded lead acid battery is used, under the same condition, the battery will last only 2 years. For VRLA 1 year 6 months or less.

If all these conditions are not present at all, it is not uncommon to see a flooded battery lasts for 4 years. Take note after 2 years, frequent top up is needed.

There are simple steps to verify roughly the battery would last for another 3 months if you have a simple voltmeter:

1. Engine off, it should be 12.4 to 12.8V. If less than 12.2V, replace battery sooner. If it's only 10V, most likely battery will refuse to start engine as 1 cell is dead (there are 6 cells in a battery).

2. Start engine, just idling, no air con and lighting etc, it should be 13.6 to 14.4V..... Your alternator is charging normally.

3. Engine off, turn on normal beam head light, let the battery discharge for 3 mins while measuring.

A new battery would likely discharge to 12.1V and start to rebound to 12.2V and hold there for very long. A weak battery would discharge to 11.8V and never rebound but hold for a while then continue to drop. Change it sooner. An in between battery would rebound at 12.0V and hold there for quite long. The key word is rebound.

4. Off head light, put back the positive cap and keep your voltmeter.

Fwah...you are amazing bro. Thanks!

Dry battery ? I think you are talking about those maintenance free battery(actually they have acid inside so is not DRY)

base on your description is a very good info thanks

BUt many shop no longer carry those old conventional type because they said no or low demand.

BUt do remember the flooded battery does need to top up regularly otherwise once dries also died

also technically those sealed maintenance battery provide higher cranking ampere (min 20% higher)

how often do we need to change tyres? 2 year or 40k, whichever comes first?

The tyre compound will harden over time.

Thus should be year follow by wear. 

U joking right?

The triangle shows where the wear down marks are on the face of the thread.

If reall as you say.....then all tyres will be botak and yet will not touch the tip of the triangle.

Mine has the thread-line at the nipple tip that's protruding in the pic which when reached, means about time to change. Sori about niptip protruding but that generally happens when it's cold, lol

The tyre compound will harden over time.

Thus should be year follow by wear. 

I alwasy use the finger nail press test. Hard rubber cannot be depress unlike new rubber. Try that on your 2-3 years tyres and your new ones...

how often do we need to change tyres? 2 year or 40k, whichever comes first?

I change tyre every 12 to 15 months after the compound gets harder and grip deteriorates.  Altho got thread left, I just trade in for new ones.   New tyres transforms the car back to shape n is a joy to drive.   Also find its more fuel efficient vs older tyre. Old tyre is bloody noisy and poor in grip esp on wet days.

I change tyre every 12 to 15 months after the compound gets harder and grip deteriorates.  Altho got thread left, I just trade in for new ones.   New tyres transforms the car back to shape n is a joy to drive.   Also find its more fuel efficient vs older tyre. Old tyre is bloody noisy and poor in grip esp on wet days.

Can trade in? How much for your case? I wanna trade in my 10 months old 16 inch tyres for better ones.....

I alwasy use the finger nail press test. Hard rubber cannot be depress unlike new rubber. Try that on your 2-3 years tyres and your new ones...

I also use the same method.  Also, harden tyres will have a sheen to it.

For my usage, I just need the tyres to be recent date code so that the thread will wear out before the 2.5 years mark.

• Praise 1

for me personally 

change every ard 35k to 40k depending on the condition of the tire (always Balance and rotate every 10k)

fitted with TPMS help to tell me when i need to fill the Gas.( i dont need nitrogen gas)

Tires wear and tare will affect the comfort and noise but not significantly becuase i only go for Quality product , which can use for average 2 years and the Money to me is Worth paying the Diff of Lower Quality product.

for dry handling is no diff when its getting aged or worned . wet will be little affected if you dont drive very very fast during wet day. 

Fresh or older stock does not make any thing to me so long is within the Warranty period.(no flamming please).

ANYWAY our Safety is in our own hand. 

MHO 

It depends on the car. If it is the old or second-hand car then you change every 6-month tyres and battery. if you have new the after 2-3 year you can change it. You Should be going for the brand it should be gone long. Here you can read about tyre safety and tyres tips

Not sure I agree with this.

'New tyres have deeper tread patterns; these must be fit the rear axle.  Deeper tread patterns on rear wheels would ensure better grip on wet surface.'

For FWD cars I always fit two new tyres to front wheels.

↡ Advertisement