Lexus Owners (To share driving experience and advise)

LouislexusGS

Anyone has comments on the IS200T? I took one out for the test drive and the throttle response was pretty good. Interior/styling expectedly good.

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Understand NX 200t and RX200T using same engine, and that turbo engine is more nosiy than the refined Lexus engine.

Anyone driving NX200T or RX200T can comment? Thanks

Btw, I am considering RX200T

Supercharged

Anyone has comments on the IS200T? I took one out for the test drive and the throttle response was pretty good. Interior/styling expectedly good.

IS200t looks nice.... how much is the sell price quoted?

I have NX with same engine, but only 6 speed. Very linear response, high torque at low rev. Usually I seldom get to rev above 2000, unless heavy acceleration.

Hi everyone, I'm new here. I own an IS200t and shall chip in, in this forum's spirit of sharing.

I have driven the NX200t. With all respect to the NX200t's strong points (e.g. cabin space), I found the IS200t a far more refined ride, being less bumpy and quieter. Its 8-speed gearbox shifts better than the NX200t's 6-speeder, and it is slightly more powerful (due to a freer-flowing exhaust according to what I have read).

Its satisfying power delivery has been well covered in local press reviews. It can easily outrun any C180, C200 or any entry level BMW. You will easily cut through local traffic in this. It takes high speed corners flat, despite the comfort oriented Turanza T001s that come standard. However, it under steers at the limit.

There is also a noticeable lag when moving off from low gear while stationary or at low speed. Cutting out of stationary traffic into a fast lane requires some caution.

What has not been covered by the reviews: I believe the brakes are upgraded to IS350 grade with 13.1 inch front rotors with 4 pot calipers. It now comes with a Lexus flat card key, which I was told was not available for the IS250, and a Yamaha performance damper to dampen vibrations from the 4 cylinder engine.

I notice many users here are concerned about lack of silence. I believe one needs to benchmark the IS200t against its competitors and it is just as silent as, if not more silent than them. The IS250's V6 (which I have driven) is smoother, but the power and torque delivery make this a far superior engine, in my view.

Is this car for you? It depends on your needs. The rear seat can only seat 2 comfortably. It does not have the C-Class's and Q50's level of tech. We'll have to wait for the release of the Luxury spec to compare.

The need to switch off the engine start-stop function every time is a constant source of irritation. So is the fact that the side mirrors do not tilt downwards when the car is put in Reverse. There isn't enough interior storage space.

I am aware this is my first post. I do not work for BM, Toyota or Lexus.

• Praise 7

Seems like you have driven it hard already. Is yours the executive version? How much did you get it at?

I don't like the start-stop function, although manufacturer said that it can withstand thousands and thousands times of this. There should be a way to permanently disable this?

Hi everyone, I'm new here. I own an IS200t and shall chip in, in this forum's spirit of sharing.

I have driven the NX200t. With all respect to the NX200t's strong points (e.g. cabin space), I found the IS200t a far more refined ride, being less bumpy and quieter. Its 8-speed gearbox shifts better than the NX200t's 6-speeder, and it is slightly more powerful (due to a freer-flowing exhaust according to what I have read).

Its satisfying power delivery has been well covered in local press reviews. It can easily outrun any C180, C200 or any entry level BMW. You will easily cut through local traffic in this. It takes high speed corners flat, despite the comfort oriented Turanza T001s that come standard. However, it under steers at the limit.

There is also a noticeable lag when moving off from low gear while stationary or at low speed. Cutting out of stationary traffic into a fast lane requires some caution.

What has not been covered by the reviews: I believe the brakes are upgraded to IS350 grade with 13.1 inch front rotors with 4 pot calipers. It now comes with a Lexus flat card key, which I was told was not available for the IS250, and a Yamaha performance damper to dampen vibrations from the 4 cylinder engine.

I notice many users here are concerned about lack of silence. I believe one needs to benchmark the IS200t against its competitors and it is just as silent as, if not more silent than them. The IS250's V6 (which I have driven) is smoother, but the power and torque delivery make this a far superior engine, in my view.

Is this car for you? It depends on your needs. The rear seat can only seat 2 comfortably. It does not have the C-Class's and Q50's level of tech. We'll have to wait for the release of the Luxury spec to compare.

The need to switch off the engine start-stop function every time is a constant source of irritation. So is the fact that the side mirrors do not tilt downwards when the car is put in Reverse. There isn't enough interior storage space.

Seems like you have driven it hard already. Is yours the executive version? How much did you get it at?

I don't like the start-stop function, although manufacturer said that it can withstand thousands and thousands times of this. There should be a way to permanently disable this?

I booked mine some time back, so my purchase price will be different from current prices, which will be cheaper given the falling COE prices.

The start-stop function can't be disabled, as are the ostentatious daytime running lamps. But ok lah. Small things like these are acceptable because this is an excellent car to drive. Tiny turning circle, and your front passengers will appreciate the vented seats.

To answer an earlier question from another user, I was told that BM used Castrol engine oil for my car.

Supercharged

As an NX200t owner, I have to agree with the fact that sedan is more refined drive than SUV... NX springs are hard and over big bumps is quite uncomfortable. Lexus workshop and my friends have all told me - "that's life, SUV is like that"

As an NX200t owner, I have to agree with the fact that sedan is more refined drive than SUV... NX springs are hard and over big bumps is quite uncomfortable. Lexus workshop and my friends have all told me - "that's life, SUV is like that"

The tires contribute too. Friend's RX was transformed when he switched to Michelin Lattitude tires. So much more refined.

I haven't driven the IS 200t yet. But my IS300h has many of the attributes you mentioned. Interestingly, the h can move off line very smartly because of the help from the electric motor. This is not reflected in the 0-100 time but really good for traffic.

There are FC benefits though....

post-153343-0-65413700-1457112657_thumb.jpg

The tires contribute too. Friend's RX was transformed when he switched to Michelin Lattitude tires. So much more refined.

I haven't driven the IS 200t yet. But my IS300h has many of the attributes you mentioned. Interestingly, the h can move off line very smartly because of the help from the electric motor. This is not reflected in the 0-100 time but really good for traffic.

I find it interesting that the is300h has a tacometer. My 09 gs450h comes with this instead of the taco.

post-24957-0-65508200-1457136354_thumb.jpg

My average of 18.3 km/l, after a year of driving, is quite close to your experience (though I drive on Normal mode). Looks like this may be the real fuel economy experience for the IS h in Singapore.

My average of 18.3 km/l, after a year of driving, is quite close to your experience (though I drive on Normal mode). Looks like this may be the real fuel economy experience for the IS h in Singapore.

My IS250 used to do 10 km/l. So this is a big improvement for me. I wonder how the IS200t does compared to IS250 in FC? I expect at least in performance it should be much stronger and I was quite impressed with the turbo engine in the NX.

I changed out the eco tires. But they did help get better FC figures.

• Praise 1

My IS250 used to do 10 km/l. So this is a big improvement for me. I wonder how the IS200t does compared to IS250 in FC? I expect at least in performance it should be much stronger and I was quite impressed with the turbo engine in the NX.

I changed out the eco tires. But they did help get better FC figures.

The 200t should definitely be more fuel efficient, as the IS250 was quite a guzzler for a compact sedan.  Believe the V6 provides a smoother and more refined drive though.

@vratenza - The tacho pops up when you're in Sport mode or if you enable it in the settings.  The Eco dial (below left) is the standard display for Normal and Eco modes.

01_Lexus_IS_300h_MR_LT_M5.jpg?resize=180

• Praise 1

The 200t should definitely be more fuel efficient, as the IS250 was quite a guzzler for a compact sedan. Believe the V6 provides a smoother and more refined drive though.

@vratenza - The tacho pops up when you're in Sport mode or if you enable it in the settings. The Eco dial (below left) is the standard display for Normal and Eco modes.

01_Lexus_IS_300h_MR_LT_M5.jpg?resize=180

Ahhh...digital display! Nice!

NX and IS are both using the same engine with identical output. I am surprised to see the 0-100Km/h acceleration (NX7.1 sec vs IS 7.0 sec) are very close despite the following key differences:

1. Weight - IS is 150kg lighter

2. Transmission - IS 8 speed, NX 6 speed

I expect to see IS to perform much better than 7.0 sec. For those who have test drove both cars, can share your experience on the power delivery?

• Praise 1

NX and IS are both using the same engine with identical output. I am surprised to see the 0-100Km/h acceleration (NX7.1 sec vs IS 7.0 sec) are very close despite the following key differences:

I expect to see IS to perform much better than 7.0 sec. For those who have test drove both cars, can share your experience on the power delivery?

Driven NXt. Engines responds well and is very refined. But 0-100 in 7 secs I don't think so. It doesn't feel like it and there are attempts on youtube where you can see few match those figures. ISt seems to get that figure more constantly on YouTube tests.

In fact, I felt that for anything below 60k the NXh has more oomph.

Driven NXt. Engines responds well and is very refined. But 0-100 in 7 secs I don't think so. It doesn't feel like it and there are attempts on youtube where you can see few match those figures. ISt seems to get that figure more constantly on YouTube tests.

In fact, I felt that for anything below 60k the NXh has more oomph.

I have driven both. The IS has a slightly higher claimed output. The NX also accelerates well but without a stopwatch I can't say which accelerates quicker. I am not sure if the any difference is immediately noticeable. The main differences are the ride quality and handling.

As for power delivery, the IS definitely has a minor pause before heavy acceleration from low speed or stationary. It does not pause on normal daily acceleration. I am not sure if that is turbo lag or deliberate programming to protect the transmission from sudden torque, for ride quality or due to there being no torque converter lock up for first gear.