Lexus Owners (To share driving experience and advise)

LouislexusGS

Hi people

noob here. 

my 2009 is250 coe is coming to the end, am in two minds about renewing it for another 10yrs (considering the current low coe) or getting a new car, i was advised by a xiao chia friend that jap car may not run smoothly pass 10yrs without major repair costs eg gearbox replacement / engine overhaul. 

would be grateful for any view / comments on the pros n cons of extending a 10year old is250? 

many thanks in advance :-)    

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Hi people

noob here.

my 2009 is250 coe is coming to the end, am in two minds about renewing it for another 10yrs (considering the current low coe) or getting a new car, i was advised by a xiao chia friend that jap car may not run smoothly pass 10yrs without major repair costs eg gearbox replacement / engine overhaul.

would be grateful for any view / comments on the pros n cons of extending a 10year old is250?

He's not wrong but the repair or preventive measures to overhaul the engine and gearbox plus COE PQP will confirm be cheaper than buying a new equivalent car.
  • Praise 1

Hi people

noob here.

Depends on your current mileage. For sure renewing will be cheaper than a new is300.

I think factoring another 1-1.5k a year in extra maintainence vs a new is300 seems fair.

So would think around 5.1k/year based on parf lost and pqp paid. Then extra roadtax of 1.4k vs is300. And then 1.5k extra maintenance. Which works out to be 8k vs approx 15k for a new is300. Maybe throw in another 1k/yr at the worst case for fuel consumption differences. So does saving 6k/yr make you happier?

• Praise 1

Thinking of purchasing the UX200. Any good SE to recommend please? 

what type of qualities you looking for?

- Not pushy, treat you with respect

- give a lot of freebies

- very flexible on price and loan

Every SE may be strong only in certain areas.

what type of qualities you looking for?

- Not pushy, treat you with respect

- give a lot of freebies

- very flexible on price and loan

Every SE may be strong only in certain areas.

he will like the SE that have these 3 in 1 qualities lol

• Praise 2

Depends on your current mileage. For sure renewing will be cheaper than a new is300.

I think factoring another 1-1.5k a year in extra maintainence vs a new is300 seems fair.

So would think around 5.1k/year based on parf lost and pqp paid. Then extra roadtax of 1.4k vs is300. And then 1.5k extra maintenance. Which works out to be 8k vs approx 15k for a new is300. Maybe throw in another 1k/yr at the worst case for fuel consumption differences. So does saving 6k/yr make you happier?

wah Mkl22 . you must be an accountant ah.... thx for the detailed financial working, thats a good perspective. does saving 6k/yr make me happier? tbh i really like the is250 both in terms of looks and performance, i have been taking good care of it servicing wise so i think it will give me at least another 5yrs of driving pleasure, therefore with the low-ish coe i am v tempted to renew. any extraordinary repair costs is of cos an unknown so can only be mentally prepared lah. 

He's not wrong but the repair or preventive measures to overhaul the engine and gearbox plus COE PQP will confirm be cheaper than buying a new equivalent car.

thx oldjaffa, definitely not looking at a new equivalent but prob something within 100k, which has v limited choices n why i feel so tempted to just renew the coe for the is250. sigh.... decisions decisions  

thx oldjaffa, definitely not looking at a new equivalent but prob something within 100k, which has v limited choices n why i feel so tempted to just renew the coe for the is250. sigh.... decisions decisions  

remember that now is the period for lower coes. i knew quite a few who regretted not buying new in 2009 when they could. and then car troubles came in 2013/14 some of them had to suck it up. and repair as a new one was super ex.

so only you yourself rough knows if the car will last and be generally reliable.

if its a more basic car like an altis or elantra, i would say buy new. the difference isnt that much, especially when the mileage is high.

Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 1

Would recommend you look at Mazda6 for 100k.

Renew COE always have a risk where a lot of repairs come in quickly within the 1st few years. Shocks, brakes, engine mountings, CV joints, bushings confirm will need to be changed.

If you are unlucky, you may kena transmission problems, requiring overhaul; or radiator problems.

Also renew COE you will lose your PARF and potentially insurance is higher.

Less risky approach is to get new ride and can wait it out for 10 more years.

• Praise 1

Within 100k, can look at Skoda Octavia 1.4t for similar performance to your IS.

Lexus sales person are not very pushy and kinda relaxed, mine even put in black n white that after putting deposit (i think was 5k) if I change my mind within a month (i think so) he will refund full deposit (no questions asked) 

His name is Mike in his mid 50's 

and yes he went many extra miles for me back then  

But then again chemistry is all about how each other feels about each others body language/ communication style  

• Praise 4

You can also try Nicholas Yeoh... Not pushy (waited as my wife took 6 months to decide)... Ok with 1 year loan (50k)... Just not sure what other freebies you can get with the NX (dash cam, car mat and solar film are already in with 5 years free servicing)... Edited by Dna_engine
  • Praise 1

Got 2 cars from Rachel. Very professional, and like her attention to details during handover.

• Praise 2

Just to check for 3IS if I just wanted to change the stock upper front grill to replace it to F-sport grill is it possible. Unluckily I notice 1 clip snap off, 2 clips broken and slight scratches on my front emblem when I was wiping my front yesterday. I suspect maybe lorry or some vehicles might have a kiss on the grill itself. Zzzz..

35A56F6E-956B-4990-A623-8C81270904D8_zps

Edited by JX83
  • Praise 3

Just to check for 3IS if I just wanted to change the stock upper front grill to replace it to F-sport grill is it possible. Unluckily I notice 1 clip snap off, 2 clips broken and slight scratches on my front emblem when I was wiping my front yesterday. I suspect maybe lorry or some vehicles might have a kiss on the grill itself. Zzzz..

You can't. Need to change the whole bumper.

The centre black part should be a separate part. Google for the parts list which are available off usa websites.

I recently had to change my NX front bumper due to damage. Only the painted outer part was changed by Borneo. The centre spindle grill portion was reused. I can identify as my original had some small chips.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1