Lexus Owners (To share driving experience and advise)

LouislexusGS

(edited)

Afternoon to all the Lexus owners here.

I would really appreciate some advice. I own a 2009 GS450h hybrid and I am considering whether to scrap the car or renew the COE. If renewing COE, whether to renew for 5 years or 10 years.

Mileage of the car is 100,000 km. I have serviced the car quite regularly with Borneo.

I've thought about it for some weeks now but still unclear of the overall pros vs cons of scrapping and buying another car vs renewing COE.

Any input, wisdom, fresh ideas and past experience from the members here would be dearly appreciated.

Edited by Natnut
↡ Advertisement

Afternoon to all the Lexus owners here.

I would really appreciate some advice. I own a 2009 GS450h hybrid and I am considering whether to scrap the car or renew the COE. If renewing COE, whether to renew for 5 years or 10 years.

Mileage of the car is 100,000 km. I have serviced the car quite regularly with Borneo.

I've thought about it for some weeks now but still unclear of the overall pros vs cons of scrapping and buying another car vs renewing COE.

Any input, wisdom, fresh ideas and past experience from the members here would be dearly appreciated.

A few questions: How long have you been owning the car? Is the low mileage genuine? What is your alternative if you scrap?

Off the cuff, the pros are - the GS450h is a remarkable car and worth keeping. It has great straight line performance, incredible refinement and classy looks. It should last a long time given the reliability of a Lexus. The scrap value at $20k is lower than a GS300 and hence the loss of PARF is less painful. Add current PQP of $42k and you have a lux car for the next 10 years at a low $6.2k depre. 

The cons would be the high road tax ($4650 at the 15th year) and the limited back seat room and boot.

By the way, what is your measured (ie not trip computer data) FC? 

• Praise 1

Twincharged

this is @clarjoa rims.

he also has a JB4 piggyback tuning box, plug and play for sale.

OZ.jpeg

Any figures from your latest ECU and/or gearbox tune?

Any figures from your latest ECU and/or gearbox tune?

Yup. Peak BHP lowered by 3bhp due to putting back stock box.

Peak torque raised by 5nm.

Acceleration time from 40-130kph cut by 0.75s after tuning, according to the Dyno.

Haven't verified the figures, but overall driving response is improved and gear shifts faster.

The irritating Toyota throttle lag still there though. WOT from standstill still takes 1s before the car moves.

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

I just got a preowned Lexus ES 250 manufactured in 2014. When I first test drove this car, I heard an unusual ‘cracked’ noise when the engine started up. Then I was told by the sales consultant that it was due to engine not started for a long time. Gradually after I bought the car, the interval of the ‘cracked’ noise gets more frequent. It’s no longer because of ‘cold start’. I’m concerned that this could be a premonition of a major issue. Has anyone encountered such unusual ‘cracked’ noise when start up?

• Praise 1

A few questions: How long have you been owning the car? Is the low mileage genuine? What is your alternative if you scrap?

Off the cuff, the pros are - the GS450h is a remarkable car and worth keeping. It has great straight line performance, incredible refinement and classy looks. It should last a long time given the reliability of a Lexus. The scrap value at $20k is lower than a GS300 and hence the loss of PARF is less painful. Add current PQP of $42k and you have a lux car for the next 10 years at a low $6.2k depre. 

The cons would be the high road tax ($4650 at the 15th year) and the limited back seat room and boot.

By the way, what is your measured (ie not trip computer data) FC? 

I've owned the car since 2014. Quite sure it's genuine mileage since BM has the service records.

I was thinking of getting a used ES300h or another newer used GS450h if I decide to scrap. If not another hybrid, maybe a used normal ES/GS.

Never really checked in real life but the car computer says around 12L/100km for FC.

• Praise 1

(edited)

I've owned the car since 2014. Quite sure it's genuine mileage since BM has the service records.

I was thinking of getting a used ES300h or another newer used GS450h if I decide to scrap. If not another hybrid, maybe a used normal ES/GS.

Never really checked in real life but the car computer says around 12L/100km for FC.

If budget is not a constraint then a newer car will always be better. The ES 4-cyl feel and performance will be quite a change from the silky V6 in the GS. Since your mileage is not high and FC is not a big concern, then go shop for a GRL10 GS350 for the ultimate experience.

I just got a preowned Lexus ES 250 manufactured in 2014. When I first test drove this car, I heard an unusual ‘cracked’ noise when the engine started up. Then I was told by the sales consultant that it was due to engine not started for a long time. Gradually after I bought the car, the interval of the ‘cracked’ noise gets more frequent. It’s no longer because of ‘cold start’. I’m concerned that this could be a premonition of a major issue. Has anyone encountered such unusual ‘cracked’ noise when start up?

Is it just 1 "crack" noise or it lasts for a 1-3 seconds?

Engine rattling for a few seconds immediately after a cold start is quite common in the Toyota GR-engine family. The VVTi mechanism is starved of engine oil and once oil reaches it, the rattling disappears. It is not a problem. You can Google it. 

Edited by Toeknee_33
  • Praise 3

Supercharged

You already bought the car. so nothing much you can do in terms of buyers remorse.

Next servicing bite bullet, go back Borneo and tell them to investigate this sound and get a proper diagnosis.

The ES250 uses an AR series IL4 engine, generally it is extremely reliable, the entire drivetrain is a carry over from the same gen Camry. Even if something goes wrong, should not be too difficult or costly to fix.

Neutral Newbie

@t0y0ta. Thanks for your advice. I have sent to Lexus Borneo and their findings is as such “check and test found due to engine VVTI gear, camshaft operating sound. Occur occasionally”

The service adviser explained that the camshaft needs to be replaced to mitigate the ‘cracked’ noise but the mitigation can only last for 1-2 years. I’m puzzled. Why can’t the mitigation be perpetual?

• Praise 1

Supercharged

@t0y0ta. Thanks for your advice. I have sent to Lexus Borneo and their findings is as such “check and test found due to engine VVTI gear, camshaft operating sound. Occur occasionally”

The service adviser explained that the camshaft needs to be replaced to mitigate the ‘cracked’ noise but the mitigation can only last for 1-2 years. I’m puzzled. Why can’t the mitigation be perpetual?

Why don't you just drive it on and get used to the sound?

It didn't sound like a critical issue and given that it is a simple/proven engine, it may just last for the entire 5 years left.

• Praise 1

(edited)

@t0y0ta. Thanks for your advice. I have sent to Lexus Borneo and their findings is as such âcheck and test found due to engine VVTI gear, camshaft operating sound. Occur occasionallyâ

The service adviser explained that the camshaft needs to be replaced to mitigate the âcrackedâ noise but the mitigation can only last for 1-2 years. Iâm puzzled. Why canât the mitigation be perpetual?

So you already know the issue before asking in this forum?

I wouldn't worry too much about the noise, but if you are not comfy, seek a second opinion from another workshop. Changing camshaft is uncommon. I have had 2 old Toyotas over a 5 year period (approx 150k KM) with the same rattling noise on start-up and the engines didn't fail or deteriorate.

Go research on Google and arrive at your own conclusion - key words: Toyota, rattling, start.

Oh, and most things in life aren't perpetual.

Edited by Toeknee_33

Yup. Peak BHP lowered by 3bhp due to putting back stock box.

Peak torque raised by 5nm.

Acceleration time from 40-130kph cut by 0.75s after tuning, according to the Dyno.

Haven't verified the figures, but overall driving response is improved and gear shifts faster.

The irritating Toyota throttle lag still there though. WOT from standstill still takes 1s before the car moves.

• Praise 1

Bro I suppose none of the chip/box in market can eliminate the initial Toyota throttle lag which I donât know why they purposely want to tune this way. The only way to eliminate is only to go through ECU tuning.

Ya bro I already did my custom ECU and Transmission tune with BMS Tuning.

Still can't eliminate the throttle lag

• Praise 1

Oh sad.. even ecu still can’t eliminate..

• Praise 1

I think it’s the switch from Atkinson to Otto cycle.

Custom tuned to run on Otto cycle only

Bro I suppose none of the chip/box in market can eliminate the initial Toyota throttle lag which I don’t know why they purposely want to tune this way. The only way to eliminate is only to go through ECU tuning.

Not sure if it’s worth the effort though otherwise it is a very good car. Easier to get another car with less lag. There have been claims from some tuners that they cracked the ECU lock and managed to remove the lag but I am not sure how real that is. I found that compared to my hybrid the 200t engine feels laggy, and much less responsive at Low speeds even though it has much more overall performance. It’s the same in all body styles I have tested, IS, GS, NX.

Even the 2.0 CX5 I tested was more responsive with its Low power motor. I was surprised particularly with the price to performance ratio that the CX5 was offered to me at 115k vs 168k for the UX hybrid! (And has no less a luxurious interior plus lots more space)

Recently drove the G30 320d in Europe across two countries. The response and pull filtering onto an autobahn felt like a V8 and because of the diesel Low revs it was very quiet when accelerating. I was astonished to find out later the 320d is now a 6 Sec car to 100!! My one thankful on a brand new rental gave me just under 1000km range. But for me it’s not about speed, it’s just the ease of driving when one has real torque to help with traffic conditions, particularly in SG type of driving.

I recently tested the ES hybrid, and the UX twins. The are all laggy and drony. I wonder if that was done to maintain discourage spirited driving, maintain durability and help the not so great efficiency....anyhow maybe the Supra engine DNA will filter down to Lexus sometime.

• Praise 2

Not sure if itâs worth the effort though otherwise it is a very good car. Easier to get another car with less lag. There have been claims from some tuners that they cracked the ECU lock and managed to remove the lag but I am not sure how real that is. I found that compared to my hybrid the 200t engine feels laggy, and much less responsive at Low speeds even though it has much more overall performance. Itâs the same in all body styles I have tested, IS, GS, NX.

Even the 2.0 CX5 I tested was more responsive with its Low power motor. I was surprised particularly with the price to performance ratio that the CX5 was offered to me at 115k vs 168k for the UX hybrid! (And has no less a luxurious interior plus lots more space)

Recently drove the G30 320d in Europe across two countries. The response and pull filtering onto an autobahn felt like a V8 and because of the diesel Low revs it was very quiet when accelerating. I was astonished to find out later the 320d is now a 6 Sec car to 100!! My one thankful on a brand new rental gave me just under 1000km range. But for me itâs not about speed, itâs just the ease of driving when one has real torque to help with traffic conditions, particularly in SG type of driving.

I recently tested the ES hybrid, and the UX twins. The are all laggy and drony. I wonder if that was done to maintain discourage spirited driving, maintain durability and help the not so great efficiency....anyhow maybe the Supra engine DNA will filter down to Lexus sometime.

Yep I agree.

Even those cars which are slower by a good margin on paper, like those high 8s cars, they felt faster than my car on initial acceleration. A3 Sedan 1.4t, Civic Turbo 1.5t, Mini One 1.2t, even the Vezel Hybrid

• Praise 1