Lexus Owners (To share driving experience and advise)

LouislexusGS

Supersonic

NVH = Noise, Vibration, Harshness

"What causes NVH?

Noise, vibration and harshness are caused by the car's mechanical and electrical systems, as well as the car's interaction with road surfaces and its passage through the air.

The main sources of NVH in a car are its engine, drivetrain and tyres, as well as the sound of airflow along its body."

That's why I'm puzzled how one measures NVH on a stationary car at a motor show....lol

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 3

On 11/29/2011 at 1:55 PM, Unitek said:

i had a RX300 for over 5 years. Among the 10+ cars that i have driven last 18 years, the RX has the least maintenance.

It also has the best sound insulation. i have even sound proof the whole SUV which probably added a 10kg to its weight.

FC is terrible. i get around 6km/l. One major problem i had is the cracks on the dashboard. i was told some conditioning might have prevented it.

Also, service from BM has been top notch.

👍

Neutral Newbie

I am driving ES300H since Nov2014. Not much isssue which need to change any part. I only get warranty replacement of hybrid battery at 5 years mark. Reaching 6 years in Nov for 150k Km now.  Quiet driving is the key  ! 

I think only drawback is that Turning angle not good due to front wheel drive as Meced Turing angle is good( rear wheel drive). So need to make bigger turn when U-turn. 

• Praise 2

Have owned and driven many Lexus and BMW over the years.

Hope my experience below is helpful.

Agree with earlier comment that older Lexus (e.g. GS300) is better at NVH, but newer ones (e.g. GS350) are dynamically more enjoyable.

My BMW ( and my brother’s Merc) has a more rigid chassis, better road feel, reasonably close NVH performance, but the maintenance cost, whether with Performance Motors, C&C or outside workshop, is definitely higher.

Lexus is definitely cheaper to maintain, trouble free even after my stretched case of 160,000 km.

Whilst the major components of BMW and Mercedes like engine and gearbox are ok, it is the auxiliary components like brakes, windscreen washer etc that failed. Small stuff but nonetheless very irritating.

Performance Motors and C&C business model of milking customers from after sales is not helpful.  Paying $5,000 for brake disc and pad replacement at 50,000 km is never heard of with Lexus agent BMS.  My average servicing at BMS never breach $400-500 per servicing.

• Praise 1

On 5/18/2020 at 1:10 PM, Wheelslover said:

C180 to ES or ES hybrid...looking at the promotion, seem very attractive. I was told ES is comparable to E class but less trouble and cheaper. 

Congrats, go for it, its generally an upgrade both in terms of size and specs from C class to ES

- longer car, cavernous rear leg room with no middle hump

- smoother acceleration (generally lexus drivetrain better than 7g tronic)

- better specs (eg memory front seats, ventilation seat, sunroof, Blind spot monitor, radar cruise control, rear side window blinds,  rear blinds, better sound system -unless your merc equipped with burmester)

- less minor issues (u know merc sometimes - juddering wiper, error code, higher brake dust, slightly noisier idling engine noise perceived from outside)

However take note

1) ES generally low slung, driver's vision may be slightly affected with limited driver's head room and rear suspension may bottom up easily (careful when fully loaded while running over carpark hump)

2) Navigation system can be outdated and not cheap to ask Borneo to upgrade (may take few mths too in the past)

ps I've owned both C200 W205 and 6th generation ES300h.....

• Praise 1

Supercharged
On 5/21/2020 at 5:57 PM, AlexNgTP said:

I am driving ES300H since Nov2014. Not much isssue which need to change any part. I only get warranty replacement of hybrid battery at 5 years mark. Reaching 6 years in Nov for 150k Km now.  Quiet driving is the key  ! 

I think only drawback is that Turning angle not good due to front wheel drive as Meced Turing angle is good( rear wheel drive). So need to make bigger turn when U-turn. 

RWD cars always have slightly better turning radius (which Merc C, E, S are).

ES is FWD

• Praise 1

Supercharged
1 hour ago, alphard96 said:

2) Navigation system can be outdated and not cheap to ask Borneo to upgrade (may take few mths too in the past)

The newer models (since end 2019 in SG) ES now come with Apple Carplay and Andriod Auto - so no more need to tinkle with the built-in Nav. Just use Apple Maps, WAZE or Google Maps.

• Praise 2

It is my dream to own an ES before I'm 40. Always drools when I see the ES300H parked at my place's CP. But the price and road tax is so prohibitive.. 

On 5/23/2020 at 10:39 AM, oleoleole said:

It is my dream to own an ES before I'm 40. Always drools when I see the ES300H parked at my place's CP. But the price and road tax is so prohibitive.. 

By the time you are 40 and can afford it, your heart should be some where else 😉

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

On 5/30/2020 at 2:10 AM, Dna_engine said:

By the time you are 40 and can afford it, your heart should be some where else 😉

Haha, ain't it always 🙂

• Praise 1

On 5/30/2020 at 2:10 AM, Dna_engine said:

No leh. My heart will always be with Lexus.

Owning a car is a lot like marriage. Get one that is reliable and will be with you for the rest of your life. There are other sexier models out there sure, but you will realize what's important to you when you're 40.

• Praise 1

Supersonic
On 5/23/2020 at 10:39 AM, oleoleole said:

40 a bit young to be seen in a ES leh

• Haha! 3

On 6/1/2020 at 1:46 PM, DK3410 said:

No leh. My heart will always be with Lexus.

Owning a car is a lot like marriage. Get one that is reliable and will be with you for the rest of your life. There are other sexier models out there sure, but you will realize what's important to you when you're 40.

I do agree that Lexus have that effect on their owners. Even though my wife and I try to buy different brands and types of cars - YOLO,  I realise I am started to look at Lexus again these days. Hopefully, they have something more interesting when our NX200T turns 5 years.

Neutral Newbie

I am very disappointed that I had brought a new Lexus ES300H. Less than 6 months and I faced water leaking into the car which courses the driver and passenger floor matt wet. I am very unfortunate that I discovered the defected on 30 March 2020. And Lexus Service Center told me the water leaking is from the sunroof rubber tube. And they needed 2 weeks to get the rubber tube spare part from Japan. Very unfortunate that the Circuit Breaker started 7 April 2020. Lexus Service Center could not repair my car. I only collect back my car on 3 June 2020. Lexus did replace a loan car ES250. Wow, this ES250 is under power and noisy than ES300H. It is too long to get back my car. I have asked a compensation. Lexus agreed to compensate me 2 times free servicing that all. Do you think is enough? Last Sunday, the water leaking come back again. Aiyo, my dream car become my nightmare car now.

Driver Seat Matt Wet.jpg

Passenger Seat Matt Wet .jpg

• Praise 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, simon6644 said:

I am very disappointed that I had brought a new Lexus ES300H. Less than 6 months and I faced water leaking into the car which courses the driver and passenger floor matt wet. I am very unfortunate that I discovered the defected on 30 March 2020. And Lexus Service Center told me the water leaking is from the sunroof rubber tube. And they needed 2 weeks to get the rubber tube spare part from Japan. Very unfortunate that the Circuit Breaker started 7 April 2020. Lexus Service Center could not repair my car. I only collect back my car on 3 June 2020. Lexus did replace a loan car ES250. Wow, this ES250 is under power and noisy than ES300H. It is too long to get back my car. I have asked a compensation. Lexus agreed to compensate me 2 times free servicing that all. Do you think is enough? Last Sunday, the water leaking come back again. Aiyo, my dream car become my nightmare car now.

Driver Seat Matt Wet.jpg

Thank you for sharing. Surprised to find this kind of quality control from a Lexus model.

3 hours ago, redstuff said:

Thank you for sharing. Surprised to find this kind of quality control from a Lexus model.

Don’t be surprised. I might be looking elsewhere too.

20 hours ago, simon6644 said:

Driver Seat Matt Wet.jpg

Dont worry...I had similar issue with previous vellfire, water coming in from front sunroof too when exposed to heavy rain but that car was already 4 yrs  plus....

My previous generation ES300H was also not trouble free - within a few months of ownership too....faulty air sensor, broken front door lock (not one but both sides...), but all replaced for free....but time wastage/inconvenience

Korean makes seems more reliable now..... and the sales people seems more enthusiastic 

↡ Advertisement