Lexus Owners (To share driving experience and advise)

LouislexusGS

Hi guys. I just got a COE lexus IS250 (2010) model from dealer. Anything I should take note when I'm test driving or servicing the car? 

Edited by ismailmiller
↡ Advertisement

IS250 known to have carbon buildup in the fuel injectors. You should ask AA to do a presale inspection. Also ask for documented service history of the car. If BM serviced even better. Regular service history will document mileage of the car and safeguard against falsifying of odometer mileage. 

Edited by Natnut
  • Praise 1

So my GS450h threw a "Check Hybrid System" error code. 

Went to a hybrid workshop and they quoted me this :

1) Gen 4 hybrid battery replacement , made in Japan, with hybrid fan, $4500

2) replace Fuel pump and fuel filter $880

3) change transmission filter and seal $350

All prices are nett.

They advised me that to get back to the original best fuel efficiency, it it not sufficient to just change the hybrid battery but to also change parts 2) and 3).

Any thoughts or advice? 

FYI : I drive a 2009 GS450h with 115000 km mileage. 

Edited by Natnut

5 hours ago, Natnut said:

All prices are nett.

They advised me that to get back to the original best fuel efficiency, it it not sufficient to just change the hybrid battery but to also change parts 2) and 3).

Any thoughts or advice? 

Did you get a checkup at Borneo also? Just 2nd opinion since it looks like a 6k job.

Items (2) and (3) are very good-to-do items for a 11yo car since you are sure those have not been done in the last few years.

On 10/24/2020 at 10:19 PM, t0y0ta said:

Did you get a checkup at Borneo also? Just 2nd opinion since it looks like a 6k job.

Items (2) and (3) are very good-to-do items for a 11yo car since you are sure those have not been done in the last few years.

Yes. Lexus also verified that it is a failing hybrid battery

One thing that makes me hesitate is that the outside workshop's hybrid battery is not manufactured in 2020. The workshop can only tell me it is Gen 4 and Made in Japan and is brand new.

They claim they don't know exactly when it is manufactured except that it is not made n 2020 and that they have been storing it since 2019.

Edited by Natnut

46 minutes ago, Natnut said:

One thing that makes me hesitate is that the outside workshop's hybrid battery is not manufactured in 2020. The workshop can only tell me it is Gen 4 and Made in Japan and is brand new.

They claim they don't know exactly when it is manufactured except that it is not made n 2020 and that they have been storing it since 2019.

Gen4?

2009 GS is Gen3 - the 4 headlights model

15 minutes ago, t0y0ta said:

Gen4?

2009 GS is Gen3 - the 4 headlights model

Gen 4 refers to the hybrid battery. They told me the latest hybrid battery from Lexus is Gen 4.

1 hour ago, Natnut said:

how much lexus quote you? maybe can compare, and see if its worthj paying extra for peace of mind

On 10/24/2020 at 4:44 PM, Natnut said:

All prices are nett.

Any thoughts or advice? 

I don't really understand how (2) and (3) can affect FC to any appreciable degree. Its like saying, change the wheelhubs as new bearings have lesser friction and will improve FC. 😀

(2) Change the fuel filter periodically as a maintenance item. I will wait for Fuel pump to kaput before changing.

(3) I change my GB oil, transaxle oil, and GB oil filter/seal every 40,000km.

Hope it helps.

• Praise 1

Thanks to everyone for their input. Aside from HEVshop, does anyone have any hybrid workshops to recommend from personal experience? 

3 hours ago, Natnut said:

Thanks to everyone for their input. Aside from HEVshop, does anyone have any hybrid workshops to recommend from personal experience? 

Maybe give Hybrid Shop a try? Saw alot of Hybrid cars there while over there

I am very very disturbed. I sent my GS450h for hybrid battery replacement and transmission fluid change at HEVshop today. There was no check engine light or error code when I entered the shop at 10.30 am today. 

When I came to pick up my vehicle at 6pm , I discovered an error code on the dash : " T/M error" 

The foreman claims he ran diagnostics with his computer and can't find anything wrong with my car. He suggested I Google the error code and try to find out the cause myself. He also tried to convince me to take back the car and drive home, saying that it is probably not a serious issue. 

Naturally I refused and insisted they keep the car overnight while they troubleshoot and fix the issue. I am taking Grab home tonight. 

Thoughts?? 

21 hours ago, Natnut said:

I am very very disturbed. I sent my GS450h for hybrid battery replacement and transmission fluid change at HEVshop today. There was no check engine light or error code when I entered the shop at 10.30 am today. 

When I came to pick up my vehicle at 6pm , I discovered an error code on the dash : " T/M error" 

The foreman claims he ran diagnostics with his computer and can't find anything wrong with my car. He suggested I Google the error code and try to find out the cause myself. He also tried to convince me to take back the car and drive home, saying that it is probably not a serious issue. 

Naturally I refused and insisted they keep the car overnight while they troubleshoot and fix the issue. I am taking Grab home tonight. 

Thoughts?? 

Wow, HEVshop doesn't sound like a responsible workshop judging from your description. T/M probably meant TransMission and probably related to the transmission oil change that was done. Right decision not to take the car back. Quick browse on the internet says disconnect the 12V battery and see if the code goes away.

• Praise 1

4 hours ago, Toeknee_33 said:

Wow, HEVshop doesn't sound like a responsible workshop judging from your description. T/M probably meant TransMission and probably related to the transmission oil change that was done. Right decision not to take the car back. Quick browse on the internet says disconnect the 12V battery and see if the code goes away.

So the foreman managed to make the error code go away when I went back to the workshop today. I test drove the car extensively for around 20km loop, deliberately accelerating hard and occasionally in POWER and SPORT settings and the error code didn't come back. The foreman claims it may be due to a weak 12V battery and he said he fixed it by reconditioning my 12V battery. I insisted a clause in the invoice that said that HEVshop warranties against the "T/M error" coming back in the next 1 month or else they have to fix it FOC. 

• Praise 1

As an aside, does that mean my 12V battery is losing voltage? It's a 85D23L Amaron battery, 60CCA, 550AH, last changed by AA in 20 Jan 2018. Tested voltage in HEVshop was around 10.5 volts.

HEVshop actually advised me to change from the Amaron battery to their workshop battery which is a Boliden. I took a photo of the battery. Haven't decided yet as I don't know about Boliden battery.

One thing HEVshop mentioned was that the Amaron battery AA installed for me was missing the bleeder which is SOP in the stock Lexus GS450h 12V battery. One selling point of Boliden is that the battery also has a bleeder just like stock Lexus 12V battery. 

20201029_155113.jpg

57 minutes ago, Natnut said:

As an aside, does that mean my 12V battery is losing voltage? It's a 85D23L Amaron battery, 60CCA, 550AH, last changed by AA in 20 Jan 2018. Tested voltage in HEVshop was around 10.5 volts.

HEVshop actually advised me to change from the Amaron battery to their workshop battery which is a Boliden. I took a photo of the battery. Haven't decided yet as I don't know about Boliden battery.

One thing HEVshop mentioned was that the Amaron battery AA installed for me was missing the bleeder which is SOP in the stock Lexus GS450h 12V battery. One selling point of Boliden is that the battery also has a bleeder just like stock Lexus 12V battery. 

20201029_155113.jpg

I would rather change to GS Yuasa which is MIJ and also has a line of batteries specific for HEV.

Mine (EcoR EFB) was changed in Chen Jin.

• Praise 1

29 minutes ago, t0y0ta said:

I would rather change to GS Yuasa which is MIJ and also has a line of batteries specific for HEV.

Mine (EcoR EFB) was changed in Chen Jin.

Is that battery EcoR EFB specific to GS450h? Mind telling me how much you paid? Also any contact for Chen Jin? 

Thanks in advance 

32 minutes ago, Natnut said:

Is that battery EcoR EFB specific to GS450h? Mind telling me how much you paid? Also any contact for Chen Jin? 

Thanks in advance 

Mine was the std top range EcoR Revo MIJ

https://gyb.gs-yuasa.com/products/car/eco-r-revolution/

mine was the S95D26 size, got it for 195. Google for "Chen Jin"

GS Yuasa also have a dedicated HEV range

https://gyb.gs-yuasa.com/products/car/eco-r-hybrid/

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1