Lexus Owners (To share driving experience and advise)

LouislexusGS

2 hours ago, ismailmiller said:

Hi Nut, 

I will be doing the decarbonising process once I sent my car to Lexus for my next servicing if required. Only do that if it's needed and under professional hands. 

I noticed a drop in power a bit but I will try to change my EO first to see if there is difference. 

I actually contacted Hanip Auto as you brought up this workshop and his appointments are full for the next 3 months since he is having a manpower shortage.

↡ Advertisement

57 minutes ago, Natnut said:

I actually contacted Hanip Auto as you brought up this workshop and his appointments are full for the next 3 months since he is having a manpower shortage.

Try other workshops

Too bad for him, I suggest just going Lexus at Borneo Motors to have a thorough check. I personally wont trust other workshops I am not familiar with. Yes, some workshops are reputable and have good review ratings, but like I said sometimes the mechanics or technicians assigned to your car are just not as experienced. 

This walnut blasting I wont recommend unless Lexus BM can prove to me it needs to be done. This can actually damage you engine if not done correctly so be careful about it. What is your IS250 car mileage? 

13 hours ago, ismailmiller said:

Too bad for him, I suggest just going Lexus at Borneo Motors to have a thorough check. I personally wont trust other workshops I am not familiar with. Yes, some workshops are reputable and have good review ratings, but like I said sometimes the mechanics or technicians assigned to your car are just not as experienced. 

This walnut blasting I wont recommend unless Lexus BM can prove to me it needs to be done. This can actually damage you engine if not done correctly so be careful about it. What is your IS250 car mileage? 

It's a GS450h with 120000 km. 

14 hours ago, ismailmiller said:

No car AD will recommend this blasting thing. I think not sane to do it.

14 hours ago, ismailmiller said:

Direct Injection engine has an accumulation of carbon problem after 100k km. Walnut blast is the only solution.

On 12/11/2020 at 2:39 PM, inlinesix said:

Direct Injection engine has an accumulation of carbon problem after 100k km. Walnut blast is the only solution.

The thing is : the 3.5L 2GR-FSE V6 in the GS450h and GS350 are different from the 2.5L and 3.0L V6 in the IS250 and GS300. Those have direct injection only but the 3.5L 2GR has dual injection, port injection plus direct injection. The port injection helps with high end power and also serves to clean the intake port. That's why I wonder if my engine needs walnut blasting or some other kind of decarbonising that targets some other part of my engine.

• Praise 2

3.5L 2GR-FSE V6 owner here with ~57k mileage so far. 

Slightly off-topic, but oddly I noticed the car to be more responsive after the fuel pump recall replacement by Lexus recently + new battery change.

Wondering if any others here who went through the fuel pump recall noticed any difference?

Small correction: the 3.5L V6 engine in the 2005 GS450h is 2GR-FSE, while the 2012 GS450h uses the Atkinson cycle 2GR-FXE.

Both feature the Toyota D-4S, the dual injection system, which should minimise carbon deposits common in direct injection engines.

Also, given that in hybrids, where the engine only works 50-70% of the time/mileage, don't think carbon build up will be an issue.

My opinion only. 

On 12/11/2020 at 2:14 PM, RogerNg_185295 said:

No car AD will recommend this blasting thing. I think not sane to do it.

Walnut blasting is quite a matured and common treatment for direct injection engines. Most of the contis that have adopted direct-injection only in the last decade has had to do regular walnut blasting to clear their carbon built-up. There was a recent video I watched, this guy with a Golf R which he tracks and redline frequently (supposedly good to clear carbon) has already significant carbon built-up when he dismantled the intake manifold at 10,000miles

My feel is that Walnut blasting is gentler on the metal parts than using a metal prong to scrap the carbon away.

• Praise 1

My IS250 Just had some ticking sound coming from the Dashboard area. Sound gets louder when moving on roads with some bumps and uneven roads. 

The issue was due to the airbag clips got loose and needs adjustment. 

Something "interesting" happened today.

It was cold today. When I started the car it shows outside temp of 22 deg and my aircon is set at 24 deg. As i started driving i realise the aircon vents at driver side started to emit warm air. This was a pleasing relief to my frozen hands, but unusual as i could not find any temp controls for this or override it. The passenger side air vent however continues to emit cold air through out.

This went on until i reached my destination. The next time I started the car everything is back to normal again. 

Anyone any thoughts on this? Or is this a sign of impending issue with the aircon.

1 hour ago, east41st said:

It was cold today. When I started the car it shows outside temp of 22 deg and my aircon is set at 24 deg. As i started driving i realise the aircon vents at driver side started to emit warm air. This was a pleasing relief to my frozen hands, but unusual as i could not find any temp controls for this or override it. The passenger side air vent however continues to emit cold air through out.

This went on until i reached my destination. The next time I started the car everything is back to normal again. 

Anyone any thoughts on this? Or is this a sign of impending issue with the aircon.

I have the same experience, not sure if it air con problem, or just the car trying to meet the temperature set 😅

• Praise 1

15 hours ago, RH1667 said:

I have the same experience, not sure if it air con problem, or just the car trying to meet the temperature set 😅

Funny it happens only to driver's side and not passenger side. I was alone.

17 minutes ago, east41st said:

Funny it happens only to driver's side and not passenger side. I was alone.

😊 I did not check if only driver side , because felt comfortable inside 😁

• Haha! 1

17 hours ago, east41st said:

How many zones is your climate control? Did you set different temp for different zones? 

2 hours ago, Toeknee_33 said:

How many zones is your climate control? Did you set different temp for different zones? 

I only see a 'DUAL' mode on the menu, not sure about different zones.

↡ Advertisement