Lexus Owners (To share driving experience and advise)

LouislexusGS

17 hours ago, Natnut said:

So the foreman managed to make the error code go away when I went back to the workshop today. I test drove the car extensively for around 20km loop, deliberately accelerating hard and occasionally in POWER and SPORT settings and the error code didn't come back. The foreman claims it may be due to a weak 12V battery and he said he fixed it by reconditioning my 12V battery. I insisted a clause in the invoice that said that HEVshop warranties against the "T/M error" coming back in the next 1 month or else they have to fix it FOC. 

Ok, one shop to avoid for me. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1

1 hour ago, t0y0ta said:

I would rather change to GS Yuasa which is MIJ and also has a line of batteries specific for HEV.

Mine (EcoR EFB) was changed in Chen Jin.

Yuasa EcoR Has been a disappointment for me. Both of them died less than 2 years in 2 different cars. 

2 hours ago, Natnut said:

As an aside, does that mean my 12V battery is losing voltage? It's a 85D23L Amaron battery, 60CCA, 550AH, last changed by AA in 20 Jan 2018. Tested voltage in HEVshop was around 10.5 volts.

HEVshop actually advised me to change from the Amaron battery to their workshop battery which is a Boliden. I took a photo of the battery. Haven't decided yet as I don't know about Boliden battery.

One thing HEVshop mentioned was that the Amaron battery AA installed for me was missing the bleeder which is SOP in the stock Lexus GS450h 12V battery. One selling point of Boliden is that the battery also has a bleeder just like stock Lexus 12V battery. 

20201029_155113.jpg

Get a proper battery tester. Likely they left the interior lights on or radio on during the servicing. 
voltage low just tells you it may need a charge. Might not be dead yet. If the state of health is good but state of charge is low, then a charge up on an external battery charge is all that is needed. 
don’t get conned. Too many unethical shops out there these days. 

• Praise 1

I read that Lexus hybrid cars have no alternator to power so are much less demanding on 12V batteries since all the accessories run off the hybrid battery. The 12V battery essentially is used as a quick start battery. Apparently from the UK Lexus forums, some GS450h owners use small lightweight golf cart batteries as their starter 12V battery. The advantage is that they are light so improve fuel consumption and handling. 

Actually since I've renewed COE on my 2009 Gs450h and done the hybrid battery replacement, is it worthwhile considering total engine overhaul or walnut blasting or other decarbonisation procedures? 

I thought that with dual fuel injection (port + direct), the 3.5L 2GR-FSE engine is resistant to carbon buildup but I also read that cylinder 5 of the 2GR-FSE is prone to engine leaks. Should I do preventative gasket replacement of my engine and/or complete engine overhaul?

5 hours ago, Natnut said:

Actually since I've renewed COE on my 2009 Gs450h and done the hybrid battery replacement, is it worthwhile considering total engine overhaul or walnut blasting or other decarbonisation procedures? 

I thought that with dual fuel injection (port + direct), the 3.5L 2GR-FSE engine is resistant to carbon buildup but I also read that cylinder 5 of the 2GR-FSE is prone to engine leaks. Should I do preventative gasket replacement of my engine and/or complete engine overhaul?

No to walnut, no to gasket, no to overhaul. Wait till it breaks. Trust me. Save the money to only fix when things break. 
no point doing it prematurely. I have learnt over the years. I know you will tell yourself that you will keep the car for ages, thus the need to make it perfect and then keep it. Hahaha. 
IMHO, doesn’t work in reality. All these sunk cost will come to naught when you sell. Just maintain it so that it will run and be reliable. Don’t need for unnecessary preventive. 

Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 2

That sounds like great advice.

Another issue is that car shampoos, waxes and polishes in Sg are way over priced. I was thinking laterally and thought of buying a traffic film remover in bulk and came across this Traffic Film Remover. Apparently there are 3 versions : Light Duty, Medium and Heavy Duty but only Heavy Duty is for sale. According to the spec sheets, it's a concentrate and should be further diluted 20:1 if used by hand but 50:1 or 200:1 if used in a machine wash. There are technical spec sheets attached to the product page. Basically costs around $35 for 5 litre bottle and if diluted  should yield 100 litres of wash fluid. My question is if this product is car paint safe or even hazardous to health :

https://sg.rs-online.com/web/p/adhesive-removers/7716686/

https://docs.rs-online.com/9a53/0900766b811c86d8.pdf

https://docs.rs-online.com/8abf/A700000006611805.pdf

4 hours ago, Natnut said:

That sounds like great advice.

Another issue is that car shampoos, waxes and polishes in Sg are way over priced. I was thinking laterally and thought of buying a traffic film remover in bulk and came across this Traffic Film Remover. Apparently there are 3 versions : Light Duty, Medium and Heavy Duty but only Heavy Duty is for sale. According to the spec sheets, it's a concentrate and should be further diluted 20:1 if used by hand but 50:1 or 200:1 if used in a machine wash. There are technical spec sheets attached to the product page. Basically costs around $35 for 5 litre bottle and if diluted  should yield 100 litres of wash fluid. My question is if this product is car paint safe or even hazardous to health :

https://sg.rs-online.com/web/p/adhesive-removers/7716686/

https://docs.rs-online.com/9a53/0900766b811c86d8.pdf

https://docs.rs-online.com/8abf/A700000006611805.pdf

I'd rather spend a bit of money with a car polishing outfit for a thorough polish, then apply a layer of ceramic/glass coating. Forget about waxing and polishing for a year, at least.

• Praise 1

Any thoughts about these brakes? Apparently made and designed by local Sg company and tested on Audis, BMWs and Minis.

https://www.carousell.sg/p/lfi-gr50-forged-big-brake-kit-system-front-1044970855/

They have a Facebook and website as well :

https://www.facebook.com/laforgeind

https://lf-ind.com/

I chatted with the seller and he made this promise (screenshot) attached):

LFI BBK.png

Edited by Natnut

Their basic 4 piston GR20 Brakes for front wheels come with forged 2-piece aluminium calipers, two piece lightweight rotors, pads and stainless steel brake lines all for $999 SGD. 

I wonder if there is a catch. 

Edited by Natnut

14 minutes ago, Natnut said:

Their basic 4 piston GR20 Brakes for front wheels come with forged 2-piece aluminium calipers, two piece lightweight rotors, pads and stainless steel brake lines all for $999 SGD. 

I wonder if there is a catch. 

Why do you want to mod?

Because there is regen braking on the GS450h, and that the original brakes are tuned to work harmoniously with it, I am more concerned about the feel and smoothness of braking. 

Having said that it's always good to have more powerful brakes, but some don't work as they claimed. Some also work only at high temp (racing environment). 

2 minutes ago, Toeknee_33 said:

Because there is regen braking on the GS450h, and that the original brakes are tuned to work harmoniously with it, I am more concerned about the feel and smoothness of braking. 

Having said that it's always good to have more powerful brakes, but some don't work as they claimed. Some also work only at high temp (racing environment). 

I would recommend replacement of OE disc with Brembo Disc (same size).

It works wonder.

1 hour ago, inlinesix said:

Why do you want to mod?

1) Since the GS450h is a heavy car and I plan to drive up to Penang and KL for vacation, I may need the extra stopping power/reduced braking distance on the NSH. 

2) The lighter components of the BBK will reduce unsprung weight for better handling. 

3) Reduced overall weight but especially unsprung weight for better fuel efficiency. 

4 minutes ago, Natnut said:

1) Since the GS450h is a heavy car and I plan to drive up to Penang and KL for vacation, I may need the extra stopping power/reduced braking distance on the NSH. 

2) The lighter components of the BBK will reduce unsprung weight for better handling. 

3) Reduced overall weight but especially unsprung weight for better fuel efficiency. 

Other than Brembo, Alcon & AP, the rest i will not dare to touch.

Since there is Regen Brake, BBK might not be available for hybrid car.

Other than BBK, should consider better tyre to reduce braking distance.

• Praise 1

45 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Other than Brembo, Alcon & AP, the rest i will not dare to touch.

Since there is Regen Brake, BBK might not be available for hybrid car.

Other than BBK, should consider better tyre to reduce braking distance.

I already changed to Michelin PS4. 

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Natnut said:

I already changed to Michelin PS4. 

For non-track use, even on NSHW, stock brakes and well-maintained drive train setup should be fine.

Save your money for other potential repairs since this is COE car.

You sound like you are very conscientious about maintenance. Just change your 12V battery and should be very safe.

• Praise 1

On 11/3/2020 at 1:19 PM, Natnut said:

The above are all not good enough reasons to change to BBK. If I’m not wrong, your car already has 4 pot in front right?

just paste a Lexus decal, change to slotted rotors, better pads, SSBH, I tell u, braking feel and distance will improve noticeably without the cost of a BBK. See pix for what I’ve done. And I’ve used Brembos and AP Racing BBKs for my previous cars, it’s about the same. 

1. just drive slightly slower (160 instead of 200kmh) and keep a safety distance and you won’t need the reduced braking distance. 

2. do you really think a 10kg reduction at the brakes will improve handling? If ur car is 1.8 tons, 10kg is only 0.55%

3. see point 2. Better fuel efficiency? Don’t bet on it. You’d be better off modulating that throttle or drive more highway with less start stop traffic.

but if you want to change because of hiaoness and that it makes the car look better and that you feel great every time you see it when you walk towards your car, then yes! By all means change.

2ED5CD68-A797-459F-9AAF-FD76ADF4B053.jpeg

6D3EADCD-316F-43BF-A523-3847BA3F690A.jpeg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 2