Lexus Owners (To share driving experience and advise)

LouislexusGS

(edited)
53 minutes ago, Donald83 said:

Yeah it is before 2012.

Any idea on the fuel consumption? 

The RX450h 2GR-FXE engine has Atkinson cycle but no direct injection. I don't own one but I reckon you should be expecting 9-10km/L in average local conditions. The RX350 should do about 7-8km/L. Not sure about the efficiency of the 4-cyl 2.7L.

The battery lasts longer than 3 years lah. You should expect a lifespan of 100k-150k km at least. 

Edited by Toeknee_33
↡ Advertisement

52 minutes ago, Toeknee_33 said:

The RX450h 2GR-FXE engine has Atkinson cycle but no direct injection. I don't own one but I reckon you should be expecting 9-10km/L in average local conditions. The RX350 should do about 7-8km/L. Not sure about the efficiency of the 4-cyl 2.7L.

The battery lasts longer than 3 years lah. You should expect a lifespan of 100k-150k km at least. 

That's really bad FC considering it is hybrid. Will consider others.

13 minutes ago, Donald83 said:

That's really bad FC considering it is hybrid. Will consider others.

Haha! You have to put the FC into perspective given the 300+bhp performance available. It's a performance hybrid, not an economy hybrid. 

3 minutes ago, Toeknee_33 said:

Haha! You have to put the FC into perspective given the 300+bhp performance available. It's a performance hybrid, not an economy hybrid. 

The older Lexus cars are of higher engine displacement so road tax is a killer. Heard ab9ut the bad FC so I am considering the hybrid but it is also as bad. Haha.

Any other recommendations then? 

2 minutes ago, Donald83 said:

The older Lexus cars are of higher engine displacement so road tax is a killer. Heard ab9ut the bad FC so I am considering the hybrid but it is also as bad. Haha.

Any other recommendations then? 

Which large SUV has good FC??

Depends on what you desire in a car and what your priorities are. The RX is a luxury SUV and running costs for a COE car can't be low. If FC and road tax are impediments then stay clear of COE Lexus RXs. 

You gotta tell us what you want. 

• Praise 1

5 minutes ago, Toeknee_33 said:

Which large SUV has good FC??

Depends on what you desire in a car and what your priorities are. The RX is a luxury SUV and running costs for a COE car can't be low. If FC and road tax are impediments then stay clear of COE Lexus RXs. 

You gotta tell us what you want. 

Assuming if I am able to accept the high road tax and FC, will the COE RX 450h a good buy?

Most importantly for me is reliability, luxury, safety and comfort. 

(edited)
32 minutes ago, Donald83 said:

Assuming if I am able to accept the high road tax and FC, will the COE RX 450h a good buy?

Most importantly for me is reliability, luxury, safety and comfort. 

Then i think a Lexus fits the bill. And if it is an SUV you need, then the RX450h is a good choice.

Lexus is renowned for their durability, and in my books, a 6-cylinder engine like in the 350 and 450h always trumps a 4-cylinder when it comes to luxury feel and a sense of occasion when you rev the engine.

3rd Gen GS450h FC about 9-10km/L, 4th Gen GS450h can do 11-12km/L, and ES300h can do 14-15km/L, FYI.

Edited by Toeknee_33
  • Praise 1

1 hour ago, Toeknee_33 said:

Then i think a Lexus fits the bill. And if it is an SUV you need, then the RX450h is a good choice.

3rd Gen GS450h FC about 9-10km/L, 4th Gen GS450h can do 11-12km/L, and ES300h can do 14-15km/L, FYI.

Yeah aiming for a SUV now. Currently driving a Volvo S80 and wanna change to SUV for better height. 

But cannot justify spending so much on a new Lexus so I'm looking at COE ones. I did consider the X series but heard alot of horror stories on the reliability 

15 minutes ago, Donald83 said:

Yeah aiming for a SUV now. Currently driving a Volvo S80 and wanna change to SUV for better height. 

But cannot justify spending so much on a new Lexus so I'm looking at COE ones. I did consider the X series but heard alot of horror stories on the reliability 

Agree that older BMWs may be a bag of trouble.

Ok, good luck and have fun with your search for the right car! Important thing is to choose a good one.

13 minutes ago, Toeknee_33 said:

Agree that older BMWs may be a bag of trouble.

Ok, good luck and have fun with your search for the right car! Important thing is to choose a good one.

Thanks for your inputs. Will wait for my S80 to be sold first before committing on another car.

Besides COE Lexus, any others do you recommend that is luxury and also reliable? Not that many SUV options 

(edited)
51 minutes ago, Donald83 said:

Thanks for your inputs. Will wait for my S80 to be sold first before committing on another car.

Besides COE Lexus, any others do you recommend that is luxury and also reliable? Not that many SUV options 

Personally, I wouldn't wanna touch a COE BMW/Audi/Jaguar/Volvo/Porsche/Land Rover with a 10-foot pole, unless its not my daily driver but as a spare car. Maybe I am biased.

Merc M-class is more robust but expect heavy FC. My previous E300 returned 7-8km/L so a heavy SUV is gonna be worse. Infiniti FX is nice but hard to find one. 

Unless you are willing to look at mainstream brands then the choice widens a little - Harrier, Sorento, Santa Fe, etc. Or maybe consider an MPV like Alphard/Estima.

Looks like an RX is still a good choice then.

One word of caution though, a COE car has a new lease of statutory life, but it doesn't mean that the car itself has a new lease of life. The car could have been ill-maintained in the last years of its life, and/or components may be worn. Car dealers will tamper the mileage, dress the car up, give it a coat of cheap paint, and sing a nice song to you about how good the car is. Just be careful.

Consider a newer PARF car if possible.

Edited by Toeknee_33
  • Haha! 1

@Toeknee_33  All valid points. Not looking at mainstream brands as I prefer more luxury.

How about a registered 2015 one? Should be better?

Otherwise I am most interested in a 2017, 2018 X1.

1 minute ago, Donald83 said:

@Toeknee_33  All valid points. Not looking at mainstream brands as I prefer more luxury.

How about a registered 2015 one? Should be better?

Otherwise I am most interested in a 2017, 2018 X1.

I see 2 units of 2015 RX in SGCM, one previous model and one current model. There is a 2L turbo option with the current model. Both cars' prices are high ($19k Depre) in the current market situation though, and its a far cry from the COE ones. If you can stretch to that, I'd say why not? 

The X1 is a Mini Countryman in disguise, in case you are not aware. Its quite spacious, FWD, nice interior, handles well. If you really want one, please find a 2L one. The vibratory 1.5 3-cyl in the sDrive18i is really not luxurious at all and a world of a difference from the Lexus V6.

Another point, if you are switching over from a large saloon like the S80, you might find the ride comfort a bit different. There will be a bit more lateral "head-tossing" and vertical oscillation that is inherent in an SUV compared to a well-sorted saloon. 

@Toeknee_33  I used to drive a Qashqai before my Volvo so I know what you are referring to.

What are you driving may I ask?

The 19k depre for a 2015 RX is not something I am willing to pay for. Would rather bite the bullet and get the COE RX 

3 hours ago, Toeknee_33 said:

Personally, I wouldn't wanna touch a COE BMW/Audi/Jaguar/Volvo/Porsche/Land Rover with a 10-foot pole, unless its not my daily driver but as a spare car. Maybe I am biased.

Merc M-class is more robust but expect heavy FC. My previous E300 returned 7-8km/L so a heavy SUV is gonna be worse. Infiniti FX is nice but hard to find one. 

Unless you are willing to look at mainstream brands then the choice widens a little - Harrier, Sorento, Santa Fe, etc. Or maybe consider an MPV like Alphard/Estima.

Looks like an RX is still a good choice then.

One word of caution though, a COE car has a new lease of statutory life, but it doesn't mean that the car itself has a new lease of life. The car could have been ill-maintained in the last years of its life, and/or components may be worn. Car dealers will tamper the mileage, dress the car up, give it a coat of cheap paint, and sing a nice song to you about how good the car is. Just be careful.

Consider a newer PARF car if possible.

yes very important point! the last year of a car cycle 9 -10 years, most car owners normally wouldnt care about maintenance due to our car ownership culture! car going scrap soon.........

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1