Leaving a car unused

Ahpong

Neutral Newbie

If we are going to leave our car unused for about 2 week at MSCP what are things we need to do to make

sure that it will be in good condition and ready to use when we get back.Do we need to disconnect the battery negative

terminal.

Please need some advice from all Bros. :wacko:

↡ Advertisement

i've left my car for upto a month unused.. the battery was still ok.. just needed to crank a little longer.. it all depends on the condition of your battery.

If we are going to leave our car unused for about 2 week at MSCP what are things we need to do to make

sure that it will be in good condition and ready to use when we get back.Do we need to disconnect the battery negative

terminal.

Should be fine leaving it as it is. I've left cars unattended for 2 months and had not problems cranking. Really depends on any drain by alarm etc as well as battery condition. If you really are worried then disconnect the batt negative, and maybe raise the wipers so they don't get caked in dust.

my previous car batt went flat after a week without start. Tried cable charging from other car's batt. it worked. My car batt was around 4yrs since day one from new.

batt drain might be due to car alarm armed during that period.

Edited by Cephas

my previous car batt went flat after a week without start. Tried cable charging from other car's batt. it worked. My car batt was around 4yrs since day one from new.

Wah you steady! Battery lasted 4 yrs. Mine changed at about 2 yrs when cranking takes longer than usual.

Wah you steady! Battery lasted 4 yrs. Mine changed at about 2 yrs when cranking takes longer than usual.

practised good habit of switching off all electrical devices b4 turning off engine. Don't turn on them b4 you start engine.

:D

wow...

i only off the aircon, radio too leh cheh to off. [laugh]

practised good habit of switching off all electrical devices b4 turning off engine. Don't turn on them b4 you start engine.

terminal.

Do not park at parking lot where any vehicle coming down the ramp may understeered, then hit your car and run.

Do reverse park so that in case flat battery, can have access to use jumper cables.

Neutral Newbie

terminal.

Thanks for all the advice Bros [wave]

my handbrake fused to the drum! left the car for 11days after driving back. on my return, car cannot move after revving to 3000rpm. put neutral, shake the car forward n back to free the rear handbrake pads. then all ok. so next time i will just put to park n release the handbrake for long trip.....

Neutral Newbie

my handbrake fused to the drum! left the car for 11days after driving back. on my return, car cannot move after revving to 3000rpm. put neutral, shake the car forward n back to free the rear handbrake pads. then all ok. so next time i will just put to park n release the handbrake for long trip.....

you're not supposed to handbrake on when car is going to be left undriven for awhile.

WAH SEH!! i thought i done very well.. my battery using 3 yrs and 7 months.. no practise of any habit of switching off any electrical devices b4 or after turning off engine.. all of them are being turn on since day 1.. full blast..

Newer cars ShdB ok. Mine 18yr old didn't start for 2mths. When I tried it took five hard long cranks with many bumpings of gas pedal before that:- vala, it starTed alright loud n clear!! BUT---- HANDBRAKE JAMMED BIG TIME! plus 1st gear took TWENTY pushes to "slot" in..... After that everything sui-sui.....

Btw battery was disconnected for tbe 2 mths.

Newer cars ShdB ok. Mine 18yr old didn't start for 2mths. When I tried it took five hard long cranks with many bumpings of gas pedal before that:- vala, it starTed alright loud n clear!! BUT---- HANDBRAKE JAMMED BIG TIME! plus 1st gear took TWENTY pushes to "slot" in..... After that everything sui-sui.....

Btw battery was disconnected for tbe 2 mths.

all the oils solidify in that 2 months. [:p]

↡ Advertisement