Operation Entebbe - Really bold rescue mission by Israel

Vega

Turbocharged

in the recent taj hotel india terrorist crisis, some jews also kenna captured, and somehow isreal got special permission from indian govt to launch their own rescue. but like not very successful also leh.

dunno how isreal also manage to get to launch their own rescue. that part subsequently also hush hush

I think this one is because they've been sabo-ed by the Media..

Imagine, live TV coverage when the commandos are about to breach the building, the terrorist can see every movement on national TV.. <_<

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

6min for 2km?

That means u must complete 5 rounds and each round u have only less than 1min 12secs.

I think if i sprint for the first round the fastest i get also 1min 30secs+-

i think the ippt standard is for dogs izzit or the guys their VTEC always kick in?

No leh. World record for 1 x 400m round is about 43sec. 5 rounds only 4 min plus. [laugh]

[thumbsup] I read of that some years ago. But our history books made no mention beyond Lim Bo Seng, for our military people. Historians despise military people?

yes exactly, there were heros / great men here in the past, not sure why MOE / govt prefer not to use them as examples.... but recent publications of some books / biographies seem to highlight just a few 'selected' ones. :o .... is it because these past men's surname bauy gum??

Edited by KARTer

considering how their race was nearly annihilated not too long ago, i can totally understand such paranoia.

and they are targets in many parts of the world.... on the other hand, they control global finance and US politics in more ways than we realise. one of the unique races around

[shocked][shocked]

if we have this IPPT standards in our SAF, i cannot imagine entire 100% returning back for RT sessions........

I believe you are right. Can not even run for our life, how well can we really fight. Learned this lesson during first year in school: sometimes you can not run away. Just got to win in fighting (like Gurkhas, like Isrealis).

Ready to Kheng [laugh]

Jokes aside,I think we are juz taking things for granted. [knife]

Ever told that many soldiers did it wrong here during WW2, and they are among those at Kranji. They did not fight at all. Just surrendered and were all killed thereafter by the Japanese troops who did not take soldiers who surrendered for prisoners (very practical logistic). Is it coincident that similarly only one Singaporean killed by terrorist in Mumbai a few years back: lack of survival instinct?

You don't know Jews.

I have quite a few Jewish friends, either Australians, Americans or English by passport....but all Jewish.

Jews will argue with each other as if they were the fiercest of rivals, but when you attack a Jew, they will band together as if each were brothers and sisters.

All these Jewish friends of mine, some who had never set foot in Israel in their lives before they were 18 (and some who only went to synagogue once a year and during weddings!) all went back to Israel when they turned 18 to serve their version of NS voluntarily.

Initially 3 months, then after, again voluntarily, you spend your summer holidays back in Israel to train and keep yourself sharp and prepared (like reservist for us, but for them, totally voluntarily!)

The downside of this is, I think the Jews are probably the most paranoid people on earth, they rarely take any non-Jew into their inner circles, they will have meals with you outside their houses, but never invite you in.

I may not had met a Jew yet. But I do believe the Gurkhas brought up by survival through traditional hunting culture, while the Jews survival by winning fights culture.

in the recent taj hotel india terrorist crisis, some jews also kenna captured, and somehow isreal got special permission from indian govt to launch their own rescue. but like not very successful also leh.

dunno how isreal also manage to get to launch their own rescue. that part subsequently also hush hush

Basically they know a lot more about survival linked to their unity. Is that why they got 6-legged star, while many others got only 5-legged stars. However, 7-legged stars do not seems to work well/better. [confused]

Ever told that many soldiers did it wrong here during WW2, and they are among those at Kranji. They did not fight at all. Just surrendered and were all killed thereafter by the Japanese troops who did not take soldiers who surrendered for prisoners (very practical logistic). Is it coincident that similarly only one Singaporean killed by terrorist in Mumbai a few years back: lack of survival instinct?

What you said on the poor lady who got killed in Mumbai is quite insensitive. Nobody chooses to die in the hands of the terrorists. She was a lawyer with a great future and husband.

• Praise 1

What you said on the poor lady who got killed in Mumbai is quite insensitive. Nobody chooses to die in the hands of the terrorists. She was a lawyer with a great future and husband.

History repeats itself. I believe the terrorists did not killed her because of her husband or her profession.

Edited by Good-Carbuyer

6min for 2km?

That means u must complete 5 rounds and each round u have only less than 1min 12secs.

I think if i sprint for the first round the fastest i get also 1min 30secs+-

i think the ippt standard is for dogs izzit or the guys their VTEC always kick in?

this is wat a israeli guy told me, not sure how true is it but when i was there, i saw many runners zooming along the beach and were doing waist-up, not chin up :D

• Praise 1

their ippt standard is 15 chinup & 6min for 2.0km run to pass

6min for 2.0km to pass IPPT?

They have longer legs, so our timing has to be scaled accordingly.

• Praise 1

I know a reservist Israeli paratrooper officer... Runs 20km everyday.. Told me his reservist is to patrol Gaza and security zone.. Participated in Lebanon incursion ... Best fren killed by IED.. And he said encountering younger and younger Palestinians ... As young as 5yo who threw a Molotov cocktail tat blew up his jeep... Had the kid in his sights but can't bring himself to pull the trigger

He also mentioned majority of the Palestinian do not support the terrorist groups... Due to the fact tat they are reliant on Israeli economy for livelihood... Every time these terrorist do something ... Borders will close which lead to loss of incomes as they can't enter Israel to work... So tat's the low down

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

The Gaza war this time is not so simple.. as reported by CNN

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/07/31/world/meast/israel-gaza-region/

(CNN) -- The conflict raging in Gaza is different this time.

While Hamas' rocket attacks and Israel's military actions may look familiar, they're taking place against a whole new backdrop.

"This is unprecedented in the history of the Arab-Israeli conflict," says CNN's Ali Younes, an analyst who has covered the region for decades. "Most Arab states are actively supporting Israel against the Palestinians -- and not even shy about it or doing it discreetly."

It's a "joint Arab-Israeli war consisting of Egypt, Jordan, Saudi Arabia against other Arabs -- the Palestinians as represented by Hamas."

As the New York Times put it, "Arab leaders, viewing Hamas as worse than Israel, stay silent."

One of the outcomes of the fighting will likely be "the end of the old Arab alliance system that has, even nominally, supported the Palestinians and their goal of establishing a Palestinian state," Younes says.

"The Israel-Hamas conflict has laid bare the new divides of the Middle East," says Danielle Pletka, vice president of foreign and defense policy studies at the American Enterprise Institute. "It's no longer the Muslims against the Jews. Now it's the extremists -- the Muslim Brotherhood, Hamas, Hezbollah, and their backers Iran, Qatar and Turkey -- against Israel and the more moderate Muslims including Jordan, Egypt, and Saudi Arabia."

"It's a proxy war for control or dominance in the Middle East," says CNN's Fareed Zakaria.

To understand why and what all this means, we need to begin with understanding of Hamas.

Hamas and the Muslim Brotherhood

Hamas, which has controlled the Palestinian government in Gaza for years, is an extension of the Muslim Brotherhood. To many Americans, the brotherhood is familiar for its central role in the power struggle for Egypt. But it's much larger than that.

"The Muslim Brotherhood is international, with affiliated groups in more than 70 countries, including Saudi Arabia and the UAE," says Eric Trager of the Washington Institute for Near East Policy.

The Arab Spring showed the region that uprisings can lead to the Brotherhood gaining power. So it's a threat to the governments it opposes.

"Israel's ongoing battle against Hamas is part of a wider regional war on the Muslim Brotherhood," says the Soufan Group, which tracks global security. "Most Arab states share Israel's determination to finish the movement off once and for all, but they are unlikely to be successful."

"From the perspective of Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, the UAE and some other Arab states, what the Israeli Prime Minister is doing is fighting this war against Hamas on their behalf so they can finish the last stronghold of the Muslim Brotherhood," Younes says.

"Arab governments and official Arab media have all but adopted the Israeli view of who is a terrorist and who is not. Egyptian and Saudi-owned media are liberal in labeling the Muslim Brotherhood as 'terrorists' and describing Hamas as a 'terrorist organization.' It's a complete turnabout from the past, when Arab states fought Israel and the U.S. in the international organizations on the definition of terrorism, and who is a terrorist or a 'freedom fighter.'"

Egypt

Egypt's new President vowed during his campaign that he wouldfinish off the Muslim Brotherhood. Abdel Fattah el-Sisi, the former military chief, deposed Egypt's first freely elected leader, President Mohamed Morsy of the Muslim Brotherhood, last year following mass protests against Morsy's rule.

El-Sisi was elected officially in June.

"In Egypt you have a regime that came to power by toppling a Muslim Brotherhood government," says Trager. "It's therefore in an existential conflict with the Brotherhood. So it doesn't want to see Hamas, the Palestinian Muslim Brotherhood, emerge stronger in a neighboring territory."

Egypt also has another reason to stand against Hamas: rising violence and instability in Sinai, the northern part of Egypt that borders Israel and Gaza. Hamas' network of tunnels includes some in and out of Egypt used to smuggle goods include weapons for attackson Israeli civilians.

The new Egyptian government has been "cracking down aggressively since it removed the brotherhood from power," Trager says.

El-Sisi closed the border crossings between Egypt and Gaza, which has helped block Hamas militants from escaping or smuggling in more weapons during Israel's onslaught. But it also has contributed to the humanitarian crisis of people trapped in Gaza.

Egypt proposed a cease-fire, and Israel quickly accepted it -- indicating that it contained the terms Israel was looking for, analysts say. Hamas rejected it. While Egypt has worked furiously to try to broker a truce in the past, Cairo this time shows little rush to change its proposal to one much more favorable to Hamas, analysts say.

Saudi Arabia, UAE, Jordan

The monarchies of Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and Jordan have called on Hamas to accept the cease-fire proposal as is.

"We condemn the Israeli aggression and we support the Egyptian cease-fire proposal," Jordan's King Abdullah said last week.

Countries such as Saudi Arabia and the UAE are "challenged by Islamists who come to power via the ballot box rather than through royal succession," says Trager.

"So these countries have been directly supportive of the coup in Egypt because it removed elected Islamists and therefore discredited that model."

Saudi Arabia is "leading the charge," partly through backing the coup and financing state media reports that attacked the brotherhood, says Younes.

"Egypt, Jordan, Saudi Arabia and the UAE all see the destruction of Hamas as of benefit to their internal security as well as to regional stability."

"The Saudis and the Egyptians are now more scared of Islamic fundamentalism than they are of Israel," says Zakaria.

"The Saudi monarchy is more worried about the prospects of Hamas winning, which would embolden Islamists in other parts of the Middle East, and therefore potentially an Islamist opposition in Saudi Arabia."

But Hamas is not alone.

Turkey and Qatar

Turkey and Qatar remain supportive of Hamas.

Qatar supported Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood government, and built "an Egypt-centric Al Jazeera network that became known for its strongly pro-Muslim Brotherhood line," says Trager.

Qatar also funds many Muslim Brotherhood figures in exile, including Hamas political leader Khaled Mashaal, who is believed to have orchestrated numerous Hamas terrorist attacks.

"I think this is a case of a country with a lot of money to burn making a certain calculation in 2011 that made a lot of sense at the time: that the Brotherhood was the next big thing that was going to dominate many of the countries of the region," says Trager. "Realistically, it made sense to bet on it."

Turkey has "more of an ideological sympathy with the Brotherhood," he says.

"Erdogan has tried to use the cause of the Brotherhood to bolster his own Islamist credentials at home," says Trager. Last year, Erdogan cracked down on mass demonstrations in his country.Last week, Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan spoke with CNN, accusing Israel of "genocide."

Iran and Syria

Iran has long supported Hamas, supplying it with weapons. And Meshaal used to be based in Syria.

But that changed. In 2012, Meshaal left Syria as the country's civil war deepened -- a decision believed to have caused a breakdown in his relationship with Iran as well, says Firas Abi Ali, head of Middle East and North Africa Country Risk and Forecasting at the global information company IHS. Tehran is aligned with Syrian President Bashar al-Assad's regime.

Now, Syria -- Israel's neighbor to the north -- is locked in a brutal, multiparty civil war, with Islamist extremists hoisting severed heads onto poles. The war, believed to have killed more than 115,000 people, is just one of the many developments emphasizing how many "fault lines" there are in the region, Richard Haass, president of Council on Foreign Relations, told "CNN Tonight."

"There's fault lines within the Palestinians between Hamas and the other part of the Palestinian Authority. You have Sunnis vs. Shia. You have Iran vs. Saudi Arabia and the Arabs. You have secularists vs. people who embrace religion in the political space."

The Palestinian Authority

Paying a price for all this is another key player: Fatah, the Palestinian faction that controls the West Bank. Fatah and Hamas have long fought each other, but earlier this year made another effort at a unity government.

Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas, who is in charge of the government in the West Bank, "seems politically exhausted by all the twists and turns he has made in search of a durable solution," the Soufan Gruop says. "And the one chance of reasserting his authority through a unity government that would have forced Hamas into a subordinate and less militant role has now disappeared. He must now watch helplessly as protests in the West Bank undo whatever progress he had made towards a two-state solution."

Edited by Shull
  • Praise 2

Something interesting about Israeli that I learnt and want to share.

The Middle East has been growing date palms for centuries. The average tree is about 18-20 feet tall and yields about 38 pounds of dates a year.

Israeli date trees are now yielding 400 pounds/year and are short enough to be harvested from the ground or a short ladder.

Israel the 100th smallest country, with less than 1/1000th of the world's population, can lay claim to the following:

The cell phone was developed in Israel by working in the Israeli branch of Motorola, which has its largest development center in Israel.

Most of the Windows NT and XP operating systems were developed by Microsoft-Israel.

The Pentium MMX Chip technology was designed in Israel at Intel.

Both the Pentium-4 microprocessor and the Centrino processor were entirely designed, developed and produced in Israel.

The Pentium microprocessor in your computer was most likely made in Israel.

Voice mail technology was developed in Israel.

Both Microsoft and Cisco built their only R&D facilities outside the US in Israel.

The technology for the AOL Instant Messenger ICQ was developed in 1996 by four young Israelis.

Israel has the fourth largest air force in the world (after the U.S, Russia and China). In addition to a large variety of other aircraft, Israel's air force has an aerial arsenal of over 250 F-16's. This is the largest fleet of F-16 aircraft outside of the U. S.

Israel’s $100 billion economy is larger than all of its immediate neighbors combined.

Israel has the highest percentage in the world of home computers per capita.

According to industry officials, Israel designed the airline industry's most impenetrable flight security. US officials now look (finally) to Israel for advice on how to handle airborne security threats.

Israel has the highest ratio of university degrees to the population in the world.

Israel produces more scientific papers per capita than any other nation by a large margin - 109 per 10,000 people -- as well as one of the highest per capita rates of patents filed.

In proportion to its population, Israel has the largest number of startup companies in the world. In absolute Israel has the largest number of startup companies than any other country in the world, except the U.S. (3,500 companies mostly in hi-tech).

With more than 3,000 high-tech companies and startups, Israel has the highest concentration of hi-tech companies in the world -- apart from the Silicon Valley, U.S.

Israel is ranked #2 in the world for venture capital funds right

behind the U.S.

Outside the United States and Canada, Israel has the largest number of NASDAQ listed companies.

Israel has the highest average living standards in the Middle East.

The per capita income in Israel in 2000 was over $17,500, exceeding that of the UK.

On a per capita basis, Israel has the largest number of biotech startups.

Twenty-four per cent of Israel’s workforce hold university degrees, ranking third in the industrialized world, after the United States and Holland and 12 per cent hold advanced degrees.

Israel is the only liberal democracy in the Middle East.

In 1984 and 1991, Israel airlifted a total of 22,000 Ethiopian Jews (Operation Solomon and Moses) at risk in Ethiopia, to safety in Israel.

When Golda Meir was elected Prime Minister of Israel in 1969, she became the world's second elected female leader in modern times.

When the U. S. Embassy in Nairobi, Kenya was bombed in 1998, Israeli rescue teams were on the scene within a day -- and saved three victims from the rubble.

Israel has the third highest rate of entrepreneurship -- and the highest rate among women and among people over 55 - in the world.

Relative to its population, Israel is the largest immigrant-absorbing nation on earth. Immigrants come in search of democracy, religious freedom, and economic opportunity (Hundreds of thousands from the former Soviet Union).

Israel was the first nation in the world to adopt the Kimberly process, an international standard that certifies diamonds as "conflict free."

Israel has the world's second highest per capita of new books.

Israel is the only country in the world that entered the 21st century with a net gain in its number of trees, made more remarkable because, this was achieved in an area considered mainly desert!

Israel has more museums per capita than any other country

Medicine. Israeli scientists developed the first fully computerized, no-radiation, diagnostic instrumentation for breast cancer.

An Israeli company developed a computerized system for ensuring proper administration of medications, thus removing human error from medical treatment Every year in U. S hospitals 7,000 patients die from treatment mistakes.
Israels Given Imaging developed the first ingestible video camera, so small it fits inside a pill Used to view the small intestine from the inside, cancer and digestive disorders .

Researchers in Israel developed a new device that directly helps the heart pump blood, an innovation with the potential to save lives among those with heart failure. The new device is synchronized with the camera helps doctors diagnose heart's mechanical operations through a sophisticated system of sensors.

Israel leads the world in the number of scientists and technicians in the workforce, with 145 per 10,000, as opposed to 85 in the U. S., over 70 in Japan, and less than 60 in Germany. With over 25% of its work force employed in technical professions. Israel places first in this category as well.

A new acne treatment developed in Israel, the Clear Light device, produces a high-intensity, ultraviolet-light-free, narrow-band blue light that causes acne bacteria to self-destruct -- all without damaging surrounding skin or tissue.

An Israeli company was the first to develop and install a large-scale solar-powered and fully functional electricity generating plant, in southern California's Mojave desert.

• Praise 3

LJ la. My Intel chips are made in Costa Rica :D

even if made in costa rica but probably designed by a jew.

say what you may, but they are really some of the smartest ppl in the world.

from bernake, to sergey brin to albert einstein and friedman.

really alot of top top tier geniuses from such a small place.....

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2